Perfect Rake? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
kursed56

Default Perfect Rake?

Hey guys Im going to hard tail and rake my stock 77 XLH frame this weekend. Ive been doing some research to how much I want to rake it, thought Id get some input.

Im really liking how 40 degrees looks, 45 even better but Im worried that might be too much. Noticed that most raked bikes are between 35 and 40.

The bike will be basically used just to scoot around town, back and forth to work some days.

Id like to take the tail out maybe 2 inches and 1 down as its pretty low already.

Thanks guys.

Any photos of raked bikes and how much?
kursed56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
panhead_pete

Default Re: Perfect Rake?

Search "rake and trail" VERY important.

I buy pre 89 bikes that are as close to original as possible. PM me if you have one you want to sell.
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
worn

For around town, I've kept mine under 35, anymore and it might look cool but it gets to be a lot of work. You could use raked trees to bring the trail back down if do use a lot of rake, but then the longer wheelbase takes more room to maneuver.
Closer to stock rake would be best.

Last edited by worn; 03-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.
worn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Stinky Pete

Depends on the front end a bit as well. You don't want to run hydraulic tubes with a lot of rake.

My blog - http://garagebuilt.wordpress.com/
Stinky Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
MeanMike

Extended hydraulic forks and lots of rake don't work well. Keep it stock or close to it and you'll be fine. My '93 sporty has 49 and my '77 has 51. Both frames have a dropped top tube to make it work. Both bikes handle well on the street, but I'm not carving backroads. Get the look you're after, dial in your trail as best you can and don't ride past your bikes limits. My bikes are LOW, so shit starts scraping before I get really stupid.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
J_F_Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kursed56 View Post
Hey guys Im going to hard tail and rake my stock 77 XLH frame this weekend. Ive been doing some research to how much I want to rake it, thought Id get some input.

Im really liking how 40 degrees looks, 45 even better but Im worried that might be too much. Noticed that most raked bikes are between 35 and 40.

The bike will be basically used just to scoot around town, back and forth to work some days.

Id like to take the tail out maybe 2 inches and 1 down as its pretty low already.

Thanks guys.

Any photos of raked bikes and how much?
If you go past 42 degrees, "flop" starts entering the picture. Flop is not dangerous, but it will make you put more effort into steering at low speeds. As another poster said, telescopic forks start to perform poorly once you go too far with rake.

There is actually more to this than just rake, when determining how the bike will steer after frame modification. Up-stretch has a HUGE effect virtually no-one seems to understand or discuss. When you add up-stretch, you are raising the steering-head relative to the center of mass. The steering head acts as a pivot point for the center of mass; think of it as the anchor point for a pendulum. The higher you raise the steering head, the easier the bike is to steer, regardless of trail. So flop can be off-set by stretching the down-tubes. This was a modification that some desert and flat-track racers used to do to make the bike handle better; adding an inch or two of height to the steering head by stretching the height of the frame.

Here is my sportster. It's 38 degrees, 4 out, and 2 up. It handles very nicely
J_F_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
snatchleeka

34 degrees and under you don't have to worry about messing up the trail. anything over that you will alter the trail and have to get raked trees. thats how it went on my brothers and my bikes.
snatchleeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
snatchleeka

you know you could also leave the frame alone at its stock rake and just put raked trees. my bros bike 30 degree rake 3 degree trees. my bike 42 degree rake. i needed 5 degree trees to get the trail back in line.
snatchleeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
55chevr

35 degrees works extremely well for racing ... stable but still can turn ... more rake will make it tuff to trun in a city block
55chevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
J_F_Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55chevr View Post
35 degrees works extremely well for racing ... stable but still can turn ... more rake will make it tuff to trun in a city block
I don't know of any racing bike that used anywhere near that much rake, unless you're talking about drag racing.
J_F_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
twowheeledhell

There's so much to take into consideration.......including all of what's already been said. Ironheads hardly ever look good quickly 'raked' because of the style of neck casting/forging on the late 70's models......it takes some massaging.

Bring the angle out to whatever you want-but if you've never done it before-maybe this weekend is too soon for you-this isn't meant to sound mean, or objective-cool looking to you or not-there is a correct way to go about everything.

On the other hand maybe you're being short with us and have a very good plan of attach-it'd be nice to see your plans-to see where you're trying to go with it all. I'd recommend to go up in the downtubes some-add couple few degrees of rake, and a little backbone stretch if you want something timeless and well handling and roadworthy everywhere, anytime........and keep it around 36 or under for a lot of quick fun still. Keep us posted.

Justen

Justen @ Nipple Twisters Wheelcraft
Genoa City, WI
twowheeledhell@yahoo.com

Last edited by twowheeledhell; 03-12-2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: forgot some wording
twowheeledhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
nigel

Increasing rake does not equate to poor handling or "flop" . It is all about correct trail.
nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

This would be a good time for Sugar Bear to chime in, his rake and trail set up worked great and looked even better.

http://www.ClassicCyclesInc.com

http://instagram.com/classiccyclesinc?
Tony the torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
Larry T

I've always liked something around 35 degrees rake. Hydraulic forks seem to go rigid somewhere between 35 and 40 degrees. That is, they start flexing instead of the sliders sliding.

If you want 40 degrees or more, a springer or girder still works, and like everyone says, trail and handling can be adjusted with rockers.
Larry T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panhead finished 2 (4).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	74770  

My old Panhead build: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9455
Larry T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Jeff L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post
Increasing rake does not equate to poor handling or "flop" . It is all about correct trail.
+1...It gonna handle as well as it's set up.Check out the sections on rake & trail &springer rockers on the Chopper Handbook.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
kursed56

Thanks guys. Just to clarify I wont be the one actually doing the work, Im taking it to a real shop and having it done. Heres some looks I like. Keep it low, first ones my favorite.

kursed56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #17
monty101

I got a rigid frame 7 up with a 38 degree rake and 10 over wide glide tubes and it goes down the road great. The front of the frame is slightly higher than the rear of the frame.

I also got a swing arm 6 up with a 42 degree rake and 12 over wide glide tubes. It goes down the road great too. It's front end is about an inch lower than the rigid . The front of the frame is also slightly higher than the rear of the frame. It is a long low cruiser.

I like the way the 38 degree handles around town but I like the way the 42 degree rake looks. If there is a drawback between 38 and 42 degrees it is you have to be careful to slow down and your turns at slower speeds and try to get into the turn at 90 degrees and hit the turn straight on as the wet pavement and the increased rake and longer front end will make the frotn wheel try to skid and slip out from under you on the wet street They both handle the same on the highway. I would never rake it more than 42 degrees.

I had a 45 degree rake on a rigid in the 70's and ran a 19 over springer and it ran great down the road too but was hell to turn around.

pic is the 42 degree rake on the swingarm frame

Last edited by monty101; 03-14-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add pic
monty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
55chevr

I should clarify. 35 degrees is Land Speed rake and works well. Up to 40 degrees is what I see and have ridden at Bonneville salt flats. A lot of Drag bikes use 40 degrees and they handle just fine in a straight line but evil to make turns on. If it is a street bike there are people more knowledgable then I am on that subject.
Joe
55chevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
caschnd1

This bike is 37-38* in the neck with 10" over fork tubes. It is a bit "heavy" at parking lot speed but nothing that you can't adapt to. It will easily u-turn in the street in front of my house without the need to paddle around with your feet. The trees are shaved early glide trees (0* rake). If you went with 8" over fork tubes that would probably bring the frame pretty close to level.

I've put over 95K miles on this bike in this configuration and it's very friendly for both long hauls and running around town. It's my daily commuter and last spring I rode it from Arizona to North Carolina and back.

-Craig

caschnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
Friday

Ive been checking out frame info, gonna be doing frame stuff in future so have this info stashed . still looking for early indian frame dimensions. search goes on.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/advchoppercalc.html
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote