Remote mount filter, filter? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
HolyHandGrenade

Default Remote mount filter, filter?

I did a search and can't find anything Evo specific. I read through all the threads I could find on here and elsewhere.

I have an 03' Sporty and want to put a remote filter on it. I have the adapter and mount in my "shopping cart" on Jegs.com.

My question is this. What filter do I want to use on this engine? I read that I could use a PH8a in one thread. Then in another I read that I should use an HP series filter due to it being more high flow. Now, I don't even know if this matters on my bike since it came from the factory WITH a filter.

While reading through the other threads I saw all the opinions on aesthetics. I really don't want to start another debate about how it LOOKS. Just an idea of what I need for a filter.

Thank you!
HolyHandGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Slag Kustom

Default Re: Remote mount filter, filter?

no reason to go away from the stock one it does the job as well as any other one. if you insist on a remote filter almost any will work
Old 07-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
dead pirate

i would just get one from deville cycles or baas metal craft. the one i got from deville came with a filter.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
HolyHandGrenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead pirate View Post
i would just get one from deville cycles or baas metal craft. the one i got from deville came with a filter.
I checked out their stuff. Very nice. I especially liked Teach's stuff. I also followed a link to his school site. I think that's so cool, building Choppers in metal shop!

Anyway, I'd already ordered this stuff when I read your reply:

At the risk of being flamed, is this going to work without being detrimental to my bike? I like the idea of adding the extra oil to the system and using the filter hanging out there in the wind as pseudo oil cooler.

What I'm afraid of is putting too much resistance on the system and ruining my mew 1250 kit the first time that I fire it up...

Everyone keeps telling me to put the filter on the return side. If I screw the adapter on the stock filter stud, I'll already be on the correct side, no?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04822.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	677.3 KB
ID:	66064  
Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
hdshovel82

isnt the oil filter on an evo in the front of the motor on the left?that alone i would think would keep it cooler
hdshovel82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
HolyHandGrenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdshovel82 View Post
isnt the oil filter on an evo in the front of the motor on the left?that alone i would think would keep it cooler
It is. I also like the looks of this. I want to hang it off the rear fender brace at the same angle as the shock. I understand that this isn't everyones cup of tea. I'm just wondering if this is going to cause me any trouble.

I'm planning to run the lines under the bike. behind the solo bag on the left side and to the filter mounted as described above.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
jakespade77

Sometimes function is better than looks. Especially when you're in the wind. If you're too concerned about heat, run an oil cooler. I had my evo sporty with an oil cooler and a hopped up motor running in phoenix during the summer with no overheating in traffic... just sayin...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
HolyHandGrenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakespade77 View Post
Sometimes function is better than looks. Especially when you're in the wind. If you're too concerned about heat, run an oil cooler. I had my evo sporty with an oil cooler and a hopped up motor running in phoenix during the summer with no overheating in traffic... just sayin...
So, you don't think this will work well then? I'm more going for the look, as long as it won't HURT. I just want to know if it'll work.

Thank you!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
HolyHandGrenade

I actually just put this on EBay. I need a new exhaust more than this, and I can't get a straight answer to weather it'll work or not. Probably due to the fact that nobody does it this way...

I'm not willing to chance it on my new motor. I guess the thread will stay going for the others who might want to know the same thing...
Old 07-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
FeHd

It will work fine, just put it on the return side. You dont want it on the supply side, if it get restricted, no oil to motor. You can hang it wherever ya want, Indian Larry always had his on the back by where the shock would be.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
jakespade77

Indian larry didn't build sporties with remote oil filters...

Apples and oranges
Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
FeHd

No shit. Show me where I said he did. I said he built most of his bikes with a remote filter hangin on the back where the shock would be. An evo is an evo, BT or sporty, they have pretty much the same oiling system.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
dead pirate

im going with fehd as long as the oil flows from tank to engine to filter back to tank you should be good. im gonna throw one on my 74 this winter funny part is the old bikes didnt have filters right they just had some mesh trap thing. one would think maybe thats why the older ones are a little rougher some times?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
Bodyworx

All i saw was "Orange" and i cringed. Aside from that ..... That's my setup ..... not on an EVO though. After being in the drag racing scene my whole life .... you couldn't GIVE me a Fram anything. Not much help but avoid the "trendy color" filter.
Bodyworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
DopeDog

FeHd is ABSOLUTELY correct --- it'll work just fine.
I've had a remote filter hanging off the rear of my ironhead for years with ZERO probs.
I've used everything from Dyna filters from H-D to Fram HP1 race filters and it made no difference whatsoever.
I just wanted a big-ass filter, hanging out in the breeze, to add volume to my oil supply & keep it cool.
It's not fucking rocket science.

Viva los Bastardos Originales!
DopeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #16
HolyHandGrenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeDog View Post
FeHd is ABSOLUTELY correct --- it'll work just fine.
I've had a remote filter hanging off the rear of my ironhead for years with ZERO probs.
I've used everything from Dyna filters from H-D to Fram HP1 race filters and it made no difference whatsoever.
I just wanted a big-ass filter, hanging out in the breeze, to add volume to my oil supply & keep it cool.
It's not fucking rocket science.
I thought in theory that it would work just fine too. Due to the fact that I was putting the filter right back where it belongs, as far as which SIDE of the system it would go on. I mean, it's getting adapted right from the stock location. I was just looking for a second or third opinion to ease my worries about doing it.

My worries were with the filter being mounted up so high, and having LONG lines run to it from the front of the engine, that it might tax the pump beyond what it's meant to do. Possibly resulting in less flow, or premature breakdown of the oil pump.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
bobscogin

If it's more for looks than function, why bother to hook it up? You're not going to gain any advantage in function. Mount it, run the hoses up under the frame and just tie them off. No need to hook it up. You won't have any worries over it hurting your motor, no leaks, no risk of a burst hose.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
HolyHandGrenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
If it's more for looks than function, why bother to hook it up? You're not going to gain any advantage in function. Mount it, run the hoses up under the frame and just tie them off. No need to hook it up. You won't have any worries over it hurting your motor, no leaks, no risk of a burst hose.

Bob
I have to draw the line somewhere! I do, do things because I like the way they "look". But I draw the line at trying to fool someone. In my book that would be just like a four barrel under a fake super charger!

I know what you mean though. I just personally don't like hanging things on that don't function. That's different than putting form OVER function. Know what I mean?

Two examples:

I had a 52 GMC with side pipes. It would've been easier to just hang them off the side rather than making pipes to hook them up. But to me if they're on there, they should work.

I put an Eelco tank on the front of a "gasser" style truck we built. Even though I knew I would never use the tank, I hooked it up so if you WANTED to you could turn a couple of valves and run racing fuel in it.

Probably stupid, but it's one of MY things.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #19
HolyHandGrenade

I'm not going to do it anyway. I was just trying to clarify what my question was.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #20
dead pirate

i think you should do it still just cause you can