First cross country trip, any tips? - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 06-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #21
boobearzoo

Default Re: First cross country trip, any tips?

i have crossed the country several times. the one thing that i learned is NEVER get to low on fuel. and the other is run a mag style wheel not spokewheels. buy yourself a tire plug kit. bring money and credit cards.
boobearzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
Patrick46

To make things easier on those who'd like to offer our assistance in helping you, can you give us any more pertinent information??

Have you ever toured long distances on a motorcycle before?? How long have you had your bike, and approximately how many miles have you riden it?? Do you know how to do some basic roadside repairs?? Do you have proper riding gear, and/or tools?

How 'bout the bike itself?? How many miles are on it? New or used, and if it is used, how well was it taken care of before you got it?? Will or have you had a professional give the bike a complete physical going over before your big adventure??

The answers to these kinda questions will tell us alot about how capable bike and rider are for the trip, and will give us a direction on what kinda advice you may or may not need.

Good luck, and have an awesome trip!!! I absolutely LOVE motorcycle touring!!!

You don't quit riding because you get old...you get old because you quit riding!!

my graphics shop's site is...www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #23
thomassuman@mac.com

anyone mention rain gear ? good rain gear - i always bring a second pair of boots - wet feet are no fun and putting on damp boots the day after you get soaked sucks
get up early and plan ahead -
connect a bunch of 250 -300 mile rides so you have a destination each day - you have a good 15 days on the bike from salt lake to ny and back - going in a straight line on the highway - you can always push ahead if you make good time - i usually look for a place to sleep around 3-4 pm - riding at night sucks when your tired and not too safe
use your head - try not to hang out too long anywhere that looks sketchy - be polite a please and thank you go a long way - and there are good folks everywhere that will help you -
i would go in august if you can sept is when the rain starts for hurricane season
you can do it - good luck
thomassuman@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #24
thomassuman@mac.com

i don't like them at all - don't have one on any of my bikes and it's something you don't see on this site - a windshield - you won't look as cool but by day 3 or the first rain - whichever comes first - you'll be glad it's on the bike - i've done several trips out west - traveled PCH 1 from astoria oregon to cabo mexico in 3 separate trips - been all over montana , idaho , wyoming and up to jasper in canada - always on a rented dresser with a windshield - i done most of the east coast on my own bikes from vermont to the keys and the bikes i rented out west with the windshield are the way to go - especially in the rain but also on a clear day you'll feel less beat up when you stop for the night
i have always traveled with at least one other person - i'm really impressed with what you want to do - traveling a distance alone by car is daunting enough
medium size vise grip , small roll of duct tape , small roll bailing wire and a pair of clear glasses for riding in the dark - make a list of all the good ideas here put it in a pile and just get it down to essentials
thomassuman@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #25
Vermonter

Extra cell battery, Rain gear, Credit Cards, Get AAA if you dont already have it, for keeping things cheap camp out at night (I have a Walrus single person tent, easy to set up in the dark, being small it doesn't take long for body heat to warm it up, and packs up small, and it only cost me $20) Get yourself a repair manual and parts manual and start studying both so you can start getting a feel for how its all put together. And I would suggest starting to do basic things like clutch adjustments so you can have some practice before you need to do it.

If you know that your tank only lets you get 200 miles between fill ups make sure to fill up ever 150 miles.

And as for personal protection goes, don't get a gun, thats just asking for a fellony weapons charge. Same goes for big knives, gun and kife laws change from state to state, and city to city. What you can safely get is a big ass flash light. Big metal flash light full of D cell batteries to the side of the head will drop just about anyone. (but trust your gut, personal safety is mostly common sense) Also a can of bear mase is a good addeition.
Vermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #26
rmw667

+1 on asswipe. you never now the local greasy spoon will treat you! didnt you say the trip was on a iron 883. fuck it. you dont need shit.

if you find yourself in a huge storm, carwashes are usually empty and a good place to wait it out

Last edited by rmw667; 06-26-2011 at 08:36 PM.
rmw667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #27
briana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
To make things easier on those who'd like to offer our assistance in helping you, can you give us any more pertinent information??

Have you ever toured long distances on a motorcycle before?? How long have you had your bike, and approximately how many miles have you riden it?? Do you know how to do some basic roadside repairs?? Do you have proper riding gear, and/or tools?

How 'bout the bike itself?? How many miles are on it? New or used, and if it is used, how well was it taken care of before you got it?? Will or have you had a professional give the bike a complete physical going over before your big adventure??

The answers to these kinda questions will tell us alot about how capable bike and rider are for the trip, and will give us a direction on what kinda advice you may or may not need.

Good luck, and have an awesome trip!!! I absolutely LOVE motorcycle touring!!!
I have only done about 200 miles in one day. I know thats not a lot, but I'm a tough lil chica. I've been riding for 3 years. I have an Iron 883 for a year now and have put 10,000 miles on it. 5,000 on my previous bike. I am going to learn what I can in the next 2 months to be prepared for any minor things. I have taken notes with everything everyone has said, so I do realize I need proper tools/gear/etc.
My bike is a 2009. I bought it used and it had 3,000 miles on it. So, 13,000 now. I've taken it in to Harley for oil changes and quick look overs, they did have to replace some mechanical stuff at one point.. other than that it's good. Before I go, I will have another good look over.

Everything has been so helpful, so thank you all!!!! Extremely.
briana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #28
Sciknen

Wool blanket and bed roll
Sciknen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #29
littlebike

Briana, here on the JJ we have a travel assistance network,all tho I don't believe there is any formal list that has been developed..BUT I'm sure if you have access to a computer(even a friend back home that can relay info over this site) and your phone,help will be provided by any JJ member with in 100 miles.. Hell ,let us know the start date and we could start a thread with updates.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #30
Nottso

If you don't already own them, get yourself the factory service manual AND the factory parts manual for your bike and take them with you. The parts manual has exploded views of many things that can be quite helpful when reassembling things.

You may not be a "wrench" but those books could still prove extremely valuable in case of a breakdown. If you can read and you can tell a hammer from a screwdriver (which you obviously can on both counts) they're written clearly enough so that you could very well deal with some problems that may arise on your own, saving dollars and headaches.

Best of luck on your trip.

For small, extremely clean, remote oil filters please see my new Jock Shop.
Nottso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #31
badassbrutus

for personal protection bring a can of Hornets spray,not illeagel to carry and works better than maze and shoots further too,I have AMA roadside asst,and used it they are very fast with help and actually nice...If you sign up on line u can print a temp card till urs is here and use it make sure u click the raodside asst button.I belive it was 30 bux.Safe Travels and best wishes...

AKA...Hemi Head
badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #32
dfauerbach

+1 on AMA is a MUST being a woman alone and start planning to stop long before you think you want to stop. I made a trip once was planning on stopping like 10pm 11pm pulled off an exit ramp in GA for a hotel dead ass tired and wouldnt you know it there was some strawberry festivale or some shit going on and i didnt find a hotel with a room till damn near 2am
dfauerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #33
punkrod

Don't bring any tools that you don't know how to use, same goes for weapons.
Stick to the Interstates and you'll do great. Pack the essentials and bring a HOG book. Most dealerships and shops will pick you up if you break down fairly close for free. Get as full service done a week or two before you leave and ride the bike a bit, (better to find out the tech screwed up when you're in town instead of 500 miles east of civilization).
My friend and I do a 6K trip each year to various destinations and I have way too much info in my head to post.
Good luck!
punkrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #34
dfauerbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
Extra cell battery, Rain gear, Credit Cards, Get AAA if you dont already have it, for keeping things cheap camp out at night (I have a Walrus single person tent, easy to set up in the dark, being small it doesn't take long for body heat to warm it up, and packs up small, and it only cost me $20) Get yourself a repair manual and parts manual and start studying both so you can start getting a feel for how its all put together. And I would suggest starting to do basic things like clutch adjustments so you can have some practice before you need to do it.

If you know that your tank only lets you get 200 miles between fill ups make sure to fill up ever 150 miles.

And as for personal protection goes, don't get a gun, thats just asking for a fellony weapons charge. Same goes for big knives, gun and kife laws change from state to state, and city to city. What you can safely get is a big ass flash light. Big metal flash light full of D cell batteries to the side of the head will drop just about anyone. (but trust your gut, personal safety is mostly common sense) Also a can of bear mase is a good addeition.

+1 on the "bear repelent" aka pepper spray with a bear repelant lable got it for my daughter to keep on her key chain and pepper spray is illegal in NJ but bear repelant seems to be cool go figure
dfauerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #35
atch

well; in the middle of writing a short book we lost power here. lost everything i had written. i'll try to shorten it up and put it here:

someone mentioned extra gasoline. easy/safe way to carry it is the containers that camping/outdoors stores sell to carry Coleman fuel in (you know, for stoves and lanterns). you can carry these in your saddlebags or duffle bag without worrying about it spilling. even so i have mine inside 4 layers of zip-lock bags; just in case. mine is the biggest one i could find but is only a quart or so. that's enough to get a ways. probably to a station but surely to a safer place than the side of the road. of course, on a long ride where you're riding all day you'll probably never need it. the only time i've ever used mine was when i had to go to reserve on the way home from work on a friday, didn't ride all weekend, and forgot monday that i was about out of gas.

i like to just roll out the sleeping bag under the stars. i wouldn't recommend that for a lone lady unless you're in a secure campground, though. in a tent no one knows how many people are in there or how big/mean they are, unless they watched you put it up and enter it.

a small crescent wrench, a pair of pliars, & a screwdriver with multiple tips are enough to make most "side of the road" repairs. if you need more than that it's likely that it's not possible to fix it on the spot. notice that i said likely; that's not a hard and fast rule. i carry spare light bulbs, but you can do without most any bulb on a bike 'til you get to the next town.

x2 on the windshield. the first really long trip i took on a scoot was from central missouri to colorado to spend a week riding the mountains. halfway across kansas my neck muscles were hurting big-time. i found a bike shop and bought a universal fit windshield. it was used, small, & cheap. probably the best $25 i ever spent out on the road. when i got home i took it off but it saved my neck (no pun intended) at the time. my current ride has a factory windshield (removable; snap on/off). wouldn't do without it again on a long trip. too bad you're so far away; i've still got the kansas one hanging in the shop. you could have it if you were closer.

x2 on the LED flashlight also.

as mentioned before, if you get in a tight spot or need help post it on here and someone will probably come running to your aid.

most folks on here will prolly crucify me for this: i've got a water bottle holder (made for bicyclists) clamped on my handle bar. a 20 ounce soda bottle in a zip up coozie fits in it perfectly. if you're on the road in august you might find this useful. when i get tired of Pepsi i refill with water.

pouring water down your pants legs will go a long ways towards keeping you cool (after you get back on the road, that is). feels good to soak your shirt, too. i've tried to pour water on me at speed, but usually i get more in my face than on my jeans or shirt.

cheap (but good) advice: if you've been on a hundred miles of Interstate highways anywhere in the US (excepting Glenwood Canyon) you've already seen just about all the scenery that's available on them. take the 2-lanes as much as possible. yeah, there's a stop light in every small town, but i guarantee that you'll be glad you skipped the Interstates.

i don't have the ca$h to buy waterproof duffle bags or T-bags. on trips i use the waterproof plastic bags that i take canoeing. these are the ones that are as big as a duffle bag and made out of really heavy plastic. the tops fold over a couple of times and then the corners snap together, making it waterproof. they are pricey, but i have them from when i used to canoe in january every year. the clear ones let me see what's in what bag. they are pretty easy to bungee onto the rear seat and can be carried into a motel room or to a campsite really easy. the drawback to the clear ones is that everyone else can see what brand of underwear i have.

speaking of underwear; camping/outdoor stores have men's sox that can be washed at bedtime, hung up, and are dry when you wake up. i don't know anything about women's clothes, but there's likely stuff like that for you too. the less space you have to dedicate to clothes the more space you have for other things. i don't ask about it, but i have one sock/underwear drawer; mrs. atch has two dressers full and shelves in her closet. anyway, the point is: you might wanna minimize your wardrobe for a couple of weeks.

take layers of clothes to add or take off as the temperature dictates. in august/september you might not need a lot of clothes, but one of the coldest days i ever spent on a scoot was on July 5 in the Michigan Upper Peninsula. 10 miles out of Escanaba that morning we pulled over and put on just about every article of clothing we had with us. didn't warm up 'til about when we crossed over the Mackinac bridge.

maps! right now go to the department of transportation website of every state you think you might go through and request a map. some of these take a month or more to get to you. these are much better than an atlas, even if they take up a bit more room. atlases only have the more major roads and leave off some of the best/most scenic smaller roads. of course, if you're gonna take the interstates maps aren't necessary. the directions only take one line; go east on I-80 'til you get to NY.

if you're comfortable in doing so, put a small camera (digital or 35mm) on a long lanyard and hang it around your neck. you can get some once in a lifetime shots while out on the road. some of the best Sturgis pix i have were taken "on the move".

most important advice so far: enjoy!!!

(mike atchley)

<><

Last edited by atch; 06-27-2011 at 12:19 PM.
atch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #36
tobiism

Get a comfortable seat. Send your stocker to Mean City Cycles and get it reworked or buy a Corbin/Lepara/Mustang seat and ride in comfort.
tobiism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #37
byronj76

Stop by my house and have some beer if youre a cool chick. HAHAHHA. But seriously, some spare fluids, duct tape, tools, (as stated before) TP, cash, bed roll, make sure youre tires are good. etc, etc
Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #38
Dr. Benway
Mod Squad

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...4&postcount=80

I still think it's true despite what Bill says.
Dr. Benway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #39
Angelus45

Dr. Benway- You read my mind... I kept thinking about that Diablo Run posting (Me and my girlfriend- lol...)
Angelus45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #40
rimirilar

I dont think anyone has mentioned this yet, but in NY we have snow days planned as early as late September. You may want to keep this in mind before you leave. Maybe even leave earlier than August. There isn't much worse than trying to ride in snow. If you need a place to crash (pardon the pun), I am in Upstate NY. Good luck, and so far all this seems like sound advice.