Panhead clutch adjustment.... - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 06-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Henrik_K

Default Panhead clutch adjustment....

Got an open aftermarket beltdrive on my Panhead. So I can't use the factory specs for adjusting the clutch.

Anyone has a good approach to this? Especially the clutch springs? I've tried to tighten them - but when the clutch lever are pulled - a lot of noise comes from the clucth plates.

Any advice highly appreciated...

Thanks
Henrik_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
caschnd1

Default Re: Panhead clutch adjustment....

I use the factory specs to adjust my clutch because the clutch is a OEM type. If you have a non OEM type clutch then you'll need to use that manufacturers specs. But... noise with a dry clutch / belt drive is a fact of life. Those plates will chatter until they drive you insane. It's just the nature of the beast. The only belt drive that is quiet is the SilentDrive from SuperMax. The clutch basket is made of polyurethane so there is minimal chatter from the steels when the clutch is disengaged.

-Craig
caschnd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
pan61man

Thats not noise it is a beautiful sound. If you can kick it over without it slipping and it shifts and releases well you shuld be good enough. The adjustment occasionally changes a bit when real hot but that usually goes away when the bike cools down.
What did you expect when you removed all the covers...quieter operation?
pan61man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Lonnie C.

Whether belt or chain drive, the clutch adjustment is the same. But, make sure the belt is not too tight. With some of the belt drives, I have found that the slots in the transmission plate may need to be lengthened in order to get the belt adjustment correct, so pay attention there.
Lonnie C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
old.wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik_K View Post
Got an open aftermarket beltdrive on my Panhead. So I can't use the factory specs for adjusting the clutch.

Anyone has a good approach to this? Especially the clutch springs? I've tried to tighten them - but when the clutch lever are pulled - a lot of noise comes from the clucth plates.

Any advice highly appreciated...

Thanks
You shouldn't have to fuss with the springs too much. Tighten the nuts until there is one thread showing past the outside of the nut. Kick it over to make sure the clutch is holding. As you kick it over, observe the pressure plate to make sure it turns true with no wobble. If the clutch holds and the plate turns without wobble, your done with that adjustment. If it wobbles, adjust the nuts just enough to take the wobble out, it shouldn't take more than one turn or so. Generally, if your clutch will hold when kicking, it will hold under power. (Big torque motors may be another story). Make sure you have the correct plates installed in the proper order too. If you can figure out who makes your belt drive and clutch assembly you should be able to go to their website and get specific information. What kind of setup (belt drive and clutch) are you running anyhow? New or used?

Regards,
Geo.
old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
BCOWANWHEELS

Adjust to factory specs in tiins or not. All the same
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote