pre unit Triumph drag bike turned LSR Salt Flats Racer.. in progress - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
lowbrowcustoms

Default pre unit Triumph drag bike turned LSR Salt Flats Racer.. in progress

I started in on this bike a bit on my other thread about my Green Triumph LSR bike but figured I should split it off since I will start to delve into these quite deeply and don't want to confuse posts between the two bikes. From our blog a couple weeks ago here is a bit of info and photos

This lonely drag bike showed up at my door and I didn't have the heart to turn it away. I picked it up in California though it came out of Pennsylvania a while back, apparently sold by either a friend or some family of the guy who built it. It was run at some tracks here and there and displayed, I don't have any photos of the original set up but I am pretty sure the OIF Triumph tank wasn't part of the original go-fast build plan.

Really cool aftermarket drag frame with a factory rigid rear bolted on. This style frame is different than the Hagon frames I have seen as this one has a full cradle and the motor is not a stressed member of the frame. Backbone is the oil tank.

Needless to say, this bike isn't going to sit around like a slacker, it is going to be put to work. There are a couple bikes ahead of it in line but I am starting the process already gathering some parts I will need to make this bike feel like it has a fulfilled life with purpose and passion. Stay tuned.

lowbrowcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
cmantle1

Default Re: pre unit Triumph drag bike turned LSR Salt Flats Racer.. in progress

hell yea man, you guys are building a LSR bike arsenal!!
cmantle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
lowbrowcustoms

Default Re: pre unit Triumph drag bike turned LSR Salt Flats Racer.. in progress

The other night I started pulling the bike apart. The only downside is it is in the end bay of our shop, crowded in with a bunch of other bikes, and unheated and with bad lighting. I am taking it all apart with plans to go through the motor and change a lot on the bike to make it a bad ass race machine that I can take out to Bonneville as well as some stints at the Maxton Mile in North Carolina.

The OIF Tank was tacked on at some point (badly fab'd brackets and mount), I see no other mounts for a gas tank which is interesting. The frame appears to be custom made, with the stock factory rigid ('54 and earlier) rear section, but I see no other mounts for any gas tank(s). Perhaps this was a drag bike that was being built and never finished, and was taken on later by someone else who put it together in it's finished state?

This came out of PA originally, the story I got was the guy who owned it died and a friend or family member finished the bike and then sold it. My plans include stripping it down and sandblasting the frame, cleaning up the crappy tank mounts (that is cut them off), re work the seat/tail section, fab new gas tanks, rear sets, and lots more. The motor will come apart and I will go through it and see how it looks, this thing was running rich as hell with fouled plugs and tons of carbon in the exhaust pipes.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
panheaddave562

or maybe the backbone was used as the gas tank and they had the oil in a oil bag somewhere?
panheaddave562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
lowbrowcustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddave562 View Post
or maybe the backbone was used as the gas tank and they had the oil in a oil bag somewhere?
The back bone is set up for sure for Oil, it has a vent fitting and return at the front, and feed at the rear, I don't see anything to show that it was used as a gas tank. Personally I would have set it up as a gas tank and made a small oil tank as there is room, but I have plans for some slick gas tanks that will look killer on this bike
Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
HELLBILLY

Great find! I want that tail section if you dont use it =)
Old 12-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
SwedeBobb

Send a message via MSN to SwedeBobb

Another sweet bike, Im so yealous!!
SwedeBobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
sumo

nice tyler - need more bikes for bonneville do you?

real men carry the gas on the handlebars.... see pegasus panther

Check out VintageChop.com
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
SwedeBobb

Send a message via MSN to SwedeBobb

Wow! That pegasus panther is one mean machine!!
SwedeBobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
lowbrowcustoms

Here is a pic showing how I am likely going to relocate the tail section, if I still use it. Back about 4" and much lower, will make for a much more aerodynamic seating position

Pulled the front end off and starting working on it a bit. The front end complete with front wheel weighed in at 27 pounds. There are some very nice things about this front end such as the fact that it only weights 13 pounds. The downside is that it rates 8 on a scale of 10 with 10 being a super sketchy front end. The lower tree is like a stamped steel deal that I can flex when grabbing the fork tubes and twisting. I am thinking about making a custom lower tree out of thick plate steel or aluminum to replace this one.

No hydraulic fluid, forks are dry and just use the springs for rebound. They are very very stiff, it is hard to compress them at all without ratchet straps. The front hub/brake I am quite sure is some model of Honda wheel, it was modified to be used with the front end with a brake stay tab welded to the brake plate that was bolted to another tab welded to the fork lower. If anyone recognizes the fork legs or trees let me know, I am interested to know what make / model they are from

Tyler
Old 12-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Gerry Burke

Why is the air cleaner in the front? I like the over all look of the bike, especially the rear seat part.
Gerry Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
Hoofhearted

It might not be a bad idea to change the forks. Flex is something you don't really need. Particularly if you are going to hook a chair to it. A friend of mine, Pete Carnozzi, bought a Triumph drag bike here in Riverside a couple of years ago and stopped by on his way home. His idea was to convert it to an LSR bike. The forks were particularly puny. No damping and the travel was linited by a strap to the fork brace and triple tree. I told Pete to get on to Tom before he showed up at Bonneville. Which he did. Tom told him the forks were marginal at best and he "suggested" that he change them.

My "suggestion" would be the same.

[/IMG]
Bonneville record 500 SC/PG 119.667 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PF 117.186 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBG 111.494 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBF 112.717 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PF 128.703 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PG 121.553 mph
El Mirage record 650 SC/PG 130.224 mph
Hoofhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
sweatmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Burke View Post
Why is the air cleaner in the front?
that's a breather filter, dunno why it's up front though.

904cc Custom Bonnie Cafe Fighter!
sweatmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
Unkl Ian

Location: Just past the corner of Hell and The Twilight Zone.

Tyler: Are you keeping that hard tail, or going longer ?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Unkl Ian

Stamped trees were used on some European mopeds,
which might explain the lack of hydraulics.(low speed,low cost)
Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #16
Unkl Ian

Do the rules require shocks, with suspension ?
I know the cars do.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #17
Hoofhearted

The rules don't actually say you have to have suspension. And if you have suspension, once again, the rules don't say anything about shocks or damping. The inspectors will look at forks for substance. Just don't show up with a tubo'ed 'Busa fitted with forks off an NSU Quickly and expect to pass. My sidecar has no suspension at all and I have never had a problem with inspection.
Bonneville record 500 SC/PG 119.667 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PF 117.186 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBG 111.494 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBF 112.717 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PF 128.703 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PG 121.553 mph
El Mirage record 650 SC/PG 130.224 mph
Hoofhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #18
tylersloan

no no no that will never work for you send it all to me with a check for 10,000 for disposal fees
tylersloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
lowbrowcustoms

Yeah I may look to swap out for some other forks, still vintage and smaller to keep the right look to it. Anyone got any 30 mm 'baby' Ceriani forks? I think they were found on Aermacchis at some point. If anyone has a pair of those or any other small 28 / 30mm forks w/ trees etc let me know!

I want some suspension as I hope to race this at Maxton as well as Bonneville, so I will outfit it with a front brake as well.

Ian, I am keeping the same length hardtail, not altering that. With the front frame section being stretched out it evens out to about 6" over stock length so I fit it well.

Tyler
Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #20
Motozombie

hey guys, in my 2009 scta rule book, rule 7.B.19 Chassis and steering, at the end of the paragraph it says "A functional shock absorber is required for each sprung wheel". I am not being picky, I just want everyone to be able to race. Thanks
Motozombie is offline   Reply With Quote