Jockey Journal Forum banner

a 45 made from scraps

25K views 120 replies 62 participants last post by  ironhead bobber 
#1 ·
anybody can bolt new parts together or customize a running machine but it takes a real freak to make a bike completely from scraps :)
i've wanted a little 45 playtoy for a long time and recently i stumbled into a series of acquisitions that may finally make my dream come true.
first i found a stash of 45 parts in an old chopper shop in the middle of texas and scored enough pieces to pretty much build a 55G motor.

then i was given another complete motor by a buddy

so that gives me all the parts for a motor. this one also came with a sweet M21 Linkert carb :)

See less See more
#4 ·
then the same buddy that gave me the motor turned me on to a butchered trike frame and an old 45 springer from the Philipines.

unfortuneately my camera got stolen at about this time so i don't have any pics of a lot of the frame work i've done, the shortening of the springer or the rebuilding of the norton transmission i'm going to use.
i'm building a new rear section for the frame to fit the XS1 yamaha rear wheel (which will have an aluminum rim laced into it). the springer had been extended back in the day with some water pipe and luckily they left about 4" of back leg on it so i got some old cut off legs from Kevin in good ol' OZ and rebuilt it back to near stock specs. i did extend the back legs 1" though just cuz. i drilled the rockers to take a modified yammy axle and put a 19" DLS XS1 front wheel on it. this will also get a ackront rim before i'm done.
the transmission is '73 850 Norton off EGAY that was listed as spinning free and getting all gears. bullshit. when i got it, it was locked solid and upon teardown i found it had sat in water and everything inside was rusted all to hell. i complained to the seller and got enough money back to get all the parts i needed to repair it. so i even brought the trans back from the grave.

#7 ·
ok, so here are some recent mock up pics so you can get an idea of where i'm headed with this thing.

for tanks i cut apart an old axed tank project i did awhile back and i'll be making them into some WR look alikes

the seat is some unknown vintage job i bought from satanherself over at the Horse board.

so, so far the motor will be built from the rod bearings out with reclaimed parts, a butchered frame will be made whole again, the frontend is built from junk that came by way of the Philipines and Australia, the transmission is resurrected from a boat anchor, the tins are hand made from scrap parts, the wheels are built from parts off 40 year old Jap bikes and lord knows where the rest of this bike will come from but when it's done i will honestly be able to say i resurrected every single piece of it down to the smallest screw :)

#9 ·
Bill, you are a freak...

I've got a friend of mine who must be some second cousin once removed of yours because I swear you guys have the same mindset with building stuff. Combining parts that shouldn't be, but in the end look amazing, and have all the citizens scratchin their heads as it sits parked outside the local food joint.
And as your chompin on a burger a fight erupts outside of the origin of the drum brake... you sir, are a very sick man.

Aint you done with that shovel yet? :rolleyes:

#16 ·
Bill, you are a freak...

I've got a friend of mine who must be some second cousin once removed of yours because I swear you guys have the same mindset with building stuff. Combining parts that shouldn't be, but in the end look amazing, and have all the citizens scratchin their heads as it sits parked outside the local food joint.
And as your chompin on a burger a fight erupts outside of the origin of the drum brake... you sir, are a very sick man.

Aint you done with that shovel yet? :rolleyes:
I couldn't have said it better myself. This build is terrific and I'm a big fan of making so called 'know it alls' point and recite what year and model it is! Narrowed tanks, 45 motor, Norton trans, Bill how will you register this when its done? Custom Built Title? I ask cause I'm doing a similar project and grabbed a Yami frame with a clean title to cut and section my goodies onto. -Vinny

#18 ·
they used schedule 80 which is really steam pipe and real thick walled. i ran an almost identical front end on a pan chopper back in the day and it held up really well right up to the moment i stuffed it into the side of a pinto :D
for a primary i plan on useing all the stock 850 parts but i'll be extending the primary chain a few links (maybe add a shoe on the bottom to control whip), make a front sprocket by welding the 45 center to the norton sprocket and covering the whole mess with a modified 45 primary cover.
i considered a belt drive but it's outside the budget. my goal is to build this bike for under $12.50 :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.