BSA vs Triumph, What to buy? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-04-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
disturber

Default BSA vs Triumph, What to buy?

I posted a while back about what Triumph to buy. You may remember I've been trying to sell my car to fund a bike. It's up on ebay, so here's hoping...anyway, this isn't about selling a car...
I've been enjoying the search for a Triumph, but it's been turning up alot of BSA's. Wondering again how they may be suited for my 1st bike. I want something that can really go, and It's likely that I'll hardtail it at some point. I just want to know that if I buy a bike, i'll have plenty of options.
I guess what i want to know is, how serviceable will a bsa be, parts and hardtail availability, and what years or models to look for/ avoid? The bsa's have a nice style, but I'm definitely going function first, cuz I know I'm going to end up styling it my way, whatever I get.
Thanks, all.
disturber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Galaxie500XL

Default Re: BSA vs Triumph, What to buy?

Check with Wes at four aces, he had a kool BSA for sale. Either one would be good.
Galaxie500XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
tonydamnread

when i was looking for my triumph a bit over a year ago, there were lots of them for sale. then late last year and early this year i was looking around trying to help a buddy find one and all i saw were BSAs. which is cool, i kinda wish i had the money because i found a '63 Lightning(i think that's what it was?) that was is in really good nick and it was only $2000. i found all these on cycletrader.com also if you haven't been looking on there. good for finding stuff that was in a project state or a stock bike that's been sitting for awhile like mine.
tonydamnread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
exmonkeypunk

Send a message via AIM to exmonkeypunk

where are you people looking? I find Triumphs up the ass. Finding BSA's has proven to be a bit more difficult for me. Triumph parts, in my case anyways, seem to be more available. Have you checked out the classified section on this page. There is always a butt load of triumphs for sale here.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
disturber

Tony, I'll check cycletrader, thanks.
ExMonkeyPunk. I'm in central Pa. I went to a brit bike mechanic, who has an obscene amount of bsa'a 70's and down...maybe 20 of them. He fixes them up, semi resto, so you end up paying for him to do what you'll undo to it if you chop. I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds here. I'm sure something will turn up.
Thanks guys. Keep the input coming. I hope this car sells soon. When I get a bike I'll post pics right away.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
exmonkeypunk

Send a message via AIM to exmonkeypunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturber
Tony, I'll check cycletrader, thanks.
ExMonkeyPunk. I'm in central Pa. I went to a brit bike mechanic, who has an obscene amount of bsa'a 70's and down...maybe 20 of them. He fixes them up, semi resto, so you end up paying for him to do what you'll undo to it if you chop. I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds here. I'm sure something will turn up.
Thanks guys. Keep the input coming. I hope this car sells soon. When I get a bike I'll post pics right away.
lucky bastard. BSA's in Illinois are more like Days without humidity here.
I got a T120R Frame with numbers matching 650 twin for sale. It needs total restoration. motor totally rebuilt. price. too much for anyone to want. fuckit i'll probably just restore it my damn self.

Last edited by exmonkeypunk; 07-04-2006 at 11:17 AM.
exmonkeypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
tonydamnread

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=7031

hatch has this badass trump bobber for sale. i wish had the money.
tonydamnread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #8
disturber

Yeah, I saw that. oif wouldn't be my first choice, but I've seen him make em into something you couldn't say no to. I'd probably jump on it if I had money in hand.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #9
hudsoncustom

Get a BSA. They are not any more expensive to build, or any less reliable than any other unit Triumph.

I have a 650 Trump, and my 650 BSA pulls WAY harder than the Triumph.
hudsoncustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #10
Trumpnut

Triumph have more parts out there . Don't get me wrong there still is a lot of bsa parts floating around but they tend to cost more . The parts that are most common to go out are interchangable thru the hole British bike industry . I.E. ingnition parts , carb parts , cables , brake pads , fork seals , and so on .
The BSA 650 or 500 twin is a more solid power plant . so it revs out slower then a triumph . The big draw back is the crank bushing on the unit engines . If they have not had proper care they will go out . BSA's need straight wt fresh oil all the time . The preunit BSA 650 are a great engine with minimal vibes it also is a dog compaired to a twin carb preunit triumph . The up sides are that you can get more power out of a unit BSA then a triumph and keep it reliable . Ulso fo custom bike the BSA engine is way cooler looking . And its funny to watch guys at shows try to impress there girl friends by telling " how they once owned a Triumph just like this "
Triumphs are the easier of the two power plants to get Hard Parts for ( internal engine ) They are also easier to get hard tails for or complete after market frames and Ex. pipes . You will need more fab skills to do a BSA right then a triumph .
Presonaly I think for your fist brit bike you should get norton comando . That way you can ride the shit out of it with out problems !
Old 07-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #11
fouraceswes

Just a few tips from a shop that does both.

BSA parts TEND to be more expensive (I am sure someone will pick this statment apart but evidence is antecdotal at best.)
BSA parts TEND to be a little harder to find.
BSA bushing (timing side) lower ends are the norm (only late BSA switched over) and perhaps inferior to bearing bottom ends found on Triumph 650s for all years. BSA Conversion to bearing lower end is VERY expensive

Hardtails for Triumph 650s are more plentiful and BOLT right up for 1960-1970. BSA 650s require cutting and welding (getting it straight on the garage floor without a table and jig is possible but not as easy.) Both hardtails can be bent to start with, easier to just unbolt the Triumph tail and send it back to the manufacturer.

Used Triumph parts are more plentiful because more were made and more spares were sent over here.

But it is true that the Triumph and BSA are about the same relaibility wise and in many cases, have the same performance ratings. Both are jaunty beasts that look good stock and even better as customs.
fouraceswes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #12
disturber

Thanks, Wes...always with the definitive answers. I'm beginning to think you might know a thing or two.
I think I'm leaning in the direction of the Triumph for the above reasons, first bike and all. The more time spent sourcing parts, or saving money to get what I need, the less time riding. It's not like I'll have another one to take out in the meantime. I'm not ruling out BSA. I got some knowledgable responses in their favor too. It just might be my 2nd bike. Thanks guys.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #13
atch

someone correct me if i'm wrong (like you need my permission), but weren't the bsa lightning 650's the fastest (or was it quickest?) production bike in the world until kaw came out with their triple?

(mike atchley)

<><
atch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #14
ol_scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouraceswes
Just a few tips from a shop that does both.

BSA parts TEND to be more expensive (I am sure someone will pick this statment apart but evidence is antecdotal at best.)
BSA parts TEND to be a little harder to find.
BSA bushing (timing side) lower ends are the norm (only late BSA switched over) and perhaps inferior to bearing bottom ends found on Triumph 650s for all years. BSA Conversion to bearing lower end is VERY expensive

Hardtails for Triumph 650s are more plentiful and BOLT right up for 1960-1970. BSA 650s require cutting and welding (getting it straight on the garage floor without a table and jig is possible but not as easy.) Both hardtails can be bent to start with, easier to just unbolt the Triumph tail and send it back to the manufacturer.

Used Triumph parts are more plentiful because more were made and more spares were sent over here.

But it is true that the Triumph and BSA are about the same relaibility wise and in many cases, have the same performance ratings. Both are jaunty beasts that look good stock and even better as customs.
I'll pick apart you answers - You're right.

But given I've owned both, honestly, I lean towards BSA. They are more rare, and seriously my beezers have just felt better. Personally a like the look and feel of pre-unit BSA over pre-unit triump. And I like the fact it has fewer points for oil leakage. The comment on fresh whole wt oil isn't necessarily overwhelming. I've used synthetic and heavy multi-weights in them with no problem. Synthetics can cause clutch slippage in my experience. BSA wiring harnesses in my estimation aren't as complicated.

Just my two cents. I like them both. Want to grab attention? - AJS.
ol_scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #15
Brian Douglas

pretty detailed bsa vs triumph breakdown

http://piled-arms.com/tech43.html

Brian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #16
Trumpnut

BSA lightnings were not the fastest production bike .
And I to will say the preunit BSA is a better ride down the road but doesn't rev out like the twin carb triumph . Although I have been pondering on dual crbing my head . Just to busy to take off the head .
Old 07-06-2006, 04:51 AM   #17
Englishman

A lot of it is personal preference. Back in the 'day' in the old country there was a fierce rivalry between Triumph and BSA owners.
The A10 handled a little better, which is why there were a few "Beezumph" bikes around, pre unit Triumph in a BSA frame.

The A65L had a reputation for self destructing at high speed, some 'transient spark' problem as I recall.

So, for my money, it's the Triumph! Looks better than the 'blob' beezer lower end and is WAY cheaper and easier to rebuild.
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #18
disturber

Thanks guys. I'm pretty set on the Triumph. For my 1st bike, cheap and easy to work on is key. But by all means keep the rivalry going. I'm learning a good bit about both bikes. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #19
Gas House Gorilla

There are a lot of guys on here who know a lot more than I about the brits. I like the unit Trumps better than the unit Beezas but hands down the Pre unit A-10 (got one) smoke the pre unit Trumps. I feel that my money would be on Wes or Trumpnut and Baron...but it seems he is very busy these days. I'm surprised he has not stepped up yet. These guys will be great sources if you choose to do a Brit build. The three have great resumes.
Gas House Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:24 AM   #20
Atsab

Hey, fellas - I'm going through sort of the same thing, but I know even less about bikes. Here's the scope-

I want a '60s English motorcycle because they look really cool. I'm not going to lie - that's the sole reason for my interest in motorcycles. I want to kind of do the "mod" thing but bikes are so much better than mopeds. I've seen pics of both BSA and Triumph and I can't tell what's cooler. Either would do.

SO, aesthetics aside (since like I said either would do), I WOULD like something that can go fuckin FAST (or at least as fast as possible), is RELATIVELY safe (ie not gonna kill me), and that I could learn both riding and maitenance on (decently).

With those traits in mind, which cool '60s English bike would I be looking for?
Atsab is offline   Reply With Quote