Timing on 72 triumph bonneville - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > Tech Archives

Old 06-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
Brotha_D

Default Timing on 72 triumph bonneville

I was hoping you guys could give me some direction, I need to know which keyhole to line up the intake and exhaust cam. This has the three keyway gears and im not sure which one to line up on. The cams are stock.

Thanks alot fellas
Brotha_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Frosty

Default Re: Timing on 72 triumph bonneville

Try britcycle.com the help section is good.Where you at in Indiana?Good luck,Frosty
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Brotha_D

I looked through britcycle.com and didn't see anthing about cam timing, I,m chillin in South Haven (Valpo,Portage).
Old 06-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
Pollock

If memory serves me right you line up dot to dot..exhaust cam then dot to dot intake cam...then dot to line on the drive unit off the bottom. I think on one of the cams there might be a line but I believe that was only for TR6 models. (that you go dot to line on cam) Just take the timing cover off pull the idler dawg then the cams will move. Line them up as stated prior and set it and forget it. I say this because they only come back into line every 212th rotation or something like that which confused the heck out of me.... It is good that you are cautious man cause you know if you set them wrong you could bend some valves.
Every manual I have see....even pre-unit manuals have a pic or two of this....Hope I helped.

Peace Pollock
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Brotha_D

i have the picture of how the actual gears line up but my problem lies where the cam actually attaches to each gear. there is one keyway on each cam and three keyway slots on the gear,ie there are 3 different positions that the cam can be attached to the gear. I believe the manual says that the dots and lines wont line up for 94 revolutions. I'll try to post some pictures to better explain what I got going on. But thanks alot for the help fella's

Dan
Old 09-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
asillymick

Send a message via MSN to asillymick

I actually have the same question for the same year of bike. I bought an actual manual about a month ago from someone called limeyspares on Ebay but they aren't returning my emails and I have done what the Clymer manual says and I get notta. Oh and if you know who the limeyspares guy is on ebay tell him to send my manual.
asillymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
Maniacles

Quote:
Originally Posted by asillymick
I actually have the same question for the same year of bike. I bought an actual manual about a month ago from someone called limeyspares on Ebay but they aren't returning my emails and I have done what the Clymer manual says and I get notta. Oh and if you know who the limeyspares guy is on ebay tell him to send my manual.
The guy on Ebay is Marshal Hagey. He's notorious for late shipments and assorted BS. He has a really bad reputation. He changes his company name every year or so. Your only hope is to keep calling and emailing. Best of luck!
Maniacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
Maniacles

Also, the correct key slots in the timing pinions point toward the timing marks. Intake 120 degrees and exhaust 240 degrees respectively. To be safe, check the cam timing per the manual at nil clearance.
Maniacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
Les

Yes, the keyways that are in line with the timing marks is correct. Also, be sure to use the long dash on the inlet cam not the dot.
Any questions, tonupspecials.com
Les is offline   Reply With Quote