Jockey Journal Forum banner

If you ever have the chance to see an original Denver's bike...

1M views 2K replies 355 participants last post by  2Loose 
#1 · (Edited)
go out of your way to do it.

I'd heard my machinist has one, but could never seem to mesh our schedules. Today I finally saw the bike when picking up my trans. and Holy cow! I've seen lots of neat show bikes w/ tons of fabrication, lots of chrome, etc., but this thing was something else.

What catches your eye first is obviously the 25 over springer. We're talking 10 and one half feet of bike here folks. But there's so much more. Every tube on the frame was peaked and molded. The tank was custom made and quite unbelievable. It was larger than the Wassels and such people go out of their way for these days and probably held five gallons, but you wouldn't know it due to the perfect proportions. It just blended in so well! Each mount, bracket, and anywhere a bolt went through the frame was molded. The flow was hard to describe. And that springer...beautiful. Simple too.

So this is all sounding super 70's, way over-molded, and in general, just overdone, right? No, not at all. All this work was subtle and perfect. Granted, it was no understated bobber, but it wasn't the overchromed, too much of everything mess you're envisioning. It was...tasteful, but in a waaaay far out way. How is that possible? To be honest, I'm not sure. I've seen 70's show bikes before and was overwhelmed (which is never good). Think early Arlen Ness bikes; neat, but too complicated.

I can only say that the late Denver Mullins and Mondo really were working on a different level. You hear the stories...well, believe them. Artists.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I had no idea I'd be seeing it today. Hopefully next time I'm out I can snap a few.

See less See more
#5 ·
I've seen the pics hangin in Mondos old dragboat shop when he was in Havasu, before he went to Henderson. Fuckin cool shit.

I cant say enough about Mondo, he is a great guy. Instead of charging me to do something, he would show and help me do it. I just walked off the street when I met him, and he treated me like family.

If you have a chance to meet him, go for it. You wont be sorry.

#1,185 ·
I've seen the pics hangin in Mondos old dragboat shop when he was in Havasu, before he went to Henderson. Fuckin cool shit.

I cant say enough about Mondo, he is a great guy. Instead of charging me to do something, he would show and help me do it. I just walked off the street when I met him, and he treated me like family.

If you have a chance to meet him, go for it. You wont be sorry.
You are absolutely right about Mondo. I was in his shop about a month ago and he does make you feel like family. Really cool stuff in there and enough motorcycle history to blow your mind!

#7 ·
Tony Bones said:
I can only say that the late Denver Mullins and Mondo really were working on a different level. You hear the stories...well, believe them. Artists.
This story was told to me from Freddie Hernandez, who was Denver's right-hand man from the beginning. In fact, Freddie was building choppers years before Denver.

Mondo had nothing to do with Denver's as far as motorcycles go. He did sell race boat cages (for the cockpits) for Denver's but that was about it.

Mondo never built a single bike while Denver's was in business (while he was still alive). Mondo bought the place after Denver died. Freddie had no interest in buying the place - why would he? Denver was dead.

Denver was also never a "Harley" guy. He main interests with motorcycles were Japanese-powered choppers.

Mondo owned two bikes while Denver's was in business. One of them was built by Freddie.

The bottom line, to me, is that who would you rather believe? Freddie, the man who can build springers, frames and entire bikes with his bare hands or Mondo?

#11 ·
Nelson said:
This story was told to me from Freddie Hernandez, who was Denver's right-hand man from the beginning. In fact, Freddie was building choppers years before Denver.

Mondo had nothing to do with Denver's as far as motorcycles go. He did sell race boat cages (for the cockpits) for Denver's but that was about it.

Mondo never built a single bike while Denver's was in business (while he was still alive). Mondo bought the place after Denver died. Freddie had no interest in buying the place - why would he? Denver was dead.

Denver was also never a "Harley" guy. He main interests with motorcycles were Japanese-powered choppers.

Mondo owned two bikes while Denver's was in business. One of them was built by Freddie.

The bottom line, to me, is that who would you rather believe? Freddie, the man who can build springers, frames and entire bikes with his bare hands or Mondo?
I talked on the phone w/ Freddie today about frame stuff & asked him if he remembered that bike. He did.

I've never spoken personally w/ Mondo but thought he did all the molding on the builds. Doesn't matter, I guess.

Regardless of past politics or who did what, see one of these bikes if you can. Pretty amazing work.

Oh, congratulations Nelson.

#12 · (Edited)
I was in their shop pretty often in San Berdoo about 25 years ago,I was amazed since even longer about the peak molding, removable molded-in tanks,the chromed mounts on their frames and yes they had mostly Jap powered bikes (and VW powered glass bodied trikes...(?!)
Denver told me back then that they all went to a Lake Havasu trip and "the only bike that broke down was the Panhead"...He was never a Harley guy, you are right...
Molding was done mostly by Mondo and Kim Kohrell at that time... However, they rulled !!! ...About 10 years ago I bought a lot of Denver's build Jap Choppers (and 2 Pans) in the San Bernardino area for $ 4,500-$6,000...
Later (1992-93) I was in F. Hernandez shop and he had all the original frame jigs from Denver's right there !

#13 ·
kutty had one denvers own bikes it was lime green kawi gold leafing and shit the bike has repainted some orange color with a big bird on it he re did it and painted it purple/ pearlesnt orange named it phyco thearpy in was in some magazines nelson might have some pics of it. billy

#14 · (Edited)
Found an old photoalbum yesterday... Here some pics I snapped from the shop, must have been 1980 or 1981... also Denver's business card... later it changed to "Berdoo Choppers" in a different location on "E" Street...

Attachments

#15 ·
Denvers is right down the street from me. I've been going over there and getting a few odds and ends taken of on my build. Mondo has always been very nice to me and been patient with all my dumbass questions. That story about Freddy H. is interesting too. Never heard that before.

#18 ·
bigassbike said:
i just got back to virginia, to my own shop...after workin there 5/6 months.

denver mullins and freddy were/are top notch builders.
With your knowledge and history, you're not half bad yourself BA. A whole 5-6 months huh? I'm surprised you put up with it/him/them that long. TK.

#21 ·
kutty sark said:
Denver Mullens was a hero, Freddie Hernandez is a hero. Hiding in the background, still building the raddest shit ever. Not trying to jump on the godfather of chop bandwagon. In years past he started some of the greatest frame companys building there jigs ect. I used one front end from Mondo on my tribute/psycho therapy bike which was a centerfold bike in the Oct 81 issue of custom chopper. Bike had a Kawi 1000 in it, changed it to sporty. Been using fred's stuff ever since. I am not going to put down Mondo, I don't think I need to. K

www.hippykiller.com
Kutty It kills me every time I see that bike. and we both know it's not just the bike...
Davey

#22 · (Edited)
kutty sark said:
Denver Mullens was a hero, Freddie Hernandez is a hero. Hiding in the background, still building the raddest shit ever. Not trying to jump on the godfather of chop bandwagon. In years past he started some of the greatest frame companys building there jigs ect. I used one front end from Mondo on my tribute/psycho therapy bike which was a centerfold bike in the Oct 81 issue of custom chopper. Bike had a Kawi 1000 in it, changed it to sporty. Been using fred's stuff ever since. I am not going to put down Mondo, I don't think I need to. K

www.hippykiller.com
That sir.. is defenitly a Denver's oriented scooter right there !!! Fuck yeah !

#27 ·
Nice shot Danny F. I sent it to freddie to see what year it was. I'm a newbee hear and somewhat of a computer dummy so as soon as I figure out how to post pics they'll be here. And have I got some pictures. ( I'm a picture pimp!!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.