Sportster: True dual exhaust *FAB* - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
DirtyDeeds

Default Sportster: Dual exhaust *FAB*

Well, Ive only seen one other sportster with dual exhaust, but it wasnt a TRUE dual exhaust. Maybe theyre everywhere, but I havent seen them.
Anyways, I wanted to see what it would look like so I spent two nights after work fabbing up this crossover pipe. I put a U shaped dip in the pipe to get it, and the heat, away from my belt. I also made the pipe come out the other side as close to the case as possible to make it appear it came from under the bike (?) It looked better than just having it pop out in the middle of the space.

I used the rear muffler support bracket mount on the frame to mount the pipe. I welded a support arm to the pipe for the right pipe. The left pipe was so solid, I didnt fab in a support for that, but I will later just for piece of mind that the muffler wont go flying off one day!

So, the only thing I noticed was that there is limited room for my boot when grabbing for the kickstand when its up.

I also noticed that it was nice to have the noisy pipes split equally to each ear, rather than just ringing my right ear. This will be way cooler on long trips. Another cool thing is that cars will "hear" me qually, no matter what lane Im in.

So all in all it was a cool little project, didnt cost me anything, and I did it in a way that I can easily go back to the original set up in 15 minutes.
Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover_0144.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	47805   Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover_0244.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	47806   Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover_0444.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	47808  

Name:	crossover_0544.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	47809   Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover_0644.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	47810   Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover_0844.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	47812  

Name:	crossover_0944.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	47813   Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover_0744.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	47815   Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover_1144.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	47816  

Name:	crossover_1244.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	47817  

Last edited by DirtyDeeds; 01-30-2010 at 07:02 AM.
DirtyDeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
c6vette

Default Re: Sportster: True dual exhaust *FAB*

now all you need is dual lic plates!
c6vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Daddy Boy

It's not easy building a complicated exhaust, good work there mate.
Daddy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Neo Dutch

Why not just make a copy of the pipes Harley fitted as standard to the XLCR in 1977. Oh yes indeedy, not only did the factory beat you to it, they did it more than 30 years ago.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Dr. Benway
Mod Squad

"A true dual exhaust system has two complete sets of pipes, catalytic converters, mufflers and tailpipes running from the engine."

OK...how is this "true dual" thing here different from the dual exhaust most twins run?
Dr. Benway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
66triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Dutch View Post
Why not just make a copy of the pipes Harley fitted as standard to the XLCR in 1977. Oh yes indeedy, not only did the factory beat you to it, they did it more than 30 years ago.
oh snap....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benway View Post
"A true dual exhaust system has two complete sets of pipes, catalytic converters, mufflers and tailpipes running from the engine."

OK...how is this "true dual" thing here different from the dual exhaust most twins run?
I was wondering the same thing... I can respect the work effort, and the diversity, but damn, looks like a lot of work just to have an exhaust tip on the other side. and from a distant side shot, it looks like it's still running factory exhaust, till you look at the other side...

-A.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 AM   #7
DirtyDeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Dutch View Post
Well, I wasnt aware of that bikes exhaust until you mentioned it. I took a look at it and its really impressive. Now, that exact system wont work with my forward controls, but a lot of ideas can be used for maybe my next build.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
DirtyDeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benway View Post

Well, heres what I mean by true dual, and how I use the term. Almost every V twin has true dual exhaust unless theyre running a 2 into 1 system. However, most harleys run both pipes on the right side. Only a few run a pipe on each side. These are termed as "true dual" by websites, catalogs and dealers. Some systems offer the look, but the left pipe is a dumby pipe or theres a crossover pipe from one of the right pipes, creating 3 pipes.

So this system has no dumby pipes, no branch off from a right side pipe and has a pipe on each side of the bike. I hear this system to be called a true dual. And, other than the XLCR in '77, sportsters dont offer a true dual, or "a pipe on each side".
Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
Neo Dutch

Your alright Mr Deeds, normally a noob would have got a heap of sand in their vaginas and sulked off to some other site by now.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:03 AM   #10
DirtyDeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66triumph View Post
oh snap....

I was wondering the same thing... I can respect the work effort, and the diversity, but damn, looks like a lot of work just to have an exhaust tip on the other side. and from a distant side shot, it looks like it's still running factory exhaust, till you look at the other side...

-A.
The reason I did it was to have the tip on the other side. I like the look and its different and symetrical and for the other reasons I mentioned at the opening of the thread.
I will 100% agree with you that it looks like the factory exhaust until you look at the other side. The reason I didnt hack into the header portion is cause I wanted it to be able to swap back to original set up if I didnt like it.
Hmmmmm, however, I think if I wrapped the pipes with black header wrap, it would hide the pipe, and only show the chrome muffler tips. And then, if I STILL dont like it, Ill just take the wrap off and put it back.
Sounds like a plan!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #11
DirtyDeeds

So.... Im at work and it only has a shitty paint program on this computer, but you kinda get the idea of using black header wrap. I think itll do the trick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	harley.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	47822   Click image for larger version

Name:	harley2.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	47823  

Last edited by DirtyDeeds; 01-30-2010 at 05:10 AM.
DirtyDeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
little d

deeds, why cover up all of the work youve done? f' that, it looks clean, and is getting the job done like YOU want. it'll be intersting to see what outher mods you do to it.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #13
J_F_Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds View Post
The reason I did it was to have the tip on the other side. I like the look and its different and symetrical and for the other reasons I mentioned at the opening of the thread.
I will 100% agree with you that it looks like the factory exhaust until you look at the other side. The reason I didnt hack into the header portion is cause I wanted it to be able to swap back to original set up if I didnt like it.
Hmmmmm, however, I think if I wrapped the pipes with black header wrap, it would hide the pipe, and only show the chrome muffler tips. And then, if I STILL dont like it, Ill just take the wrap off and put it back.
Sounds like a plan!
If you had chosen to turn the rear pipe under the frame, and snake it around, instead of the front one, you'd have come closer to having equal length pipes. As others have pointed out, when I first looked at the right side pictures, I thought you still had both pipes exiting on the right.

You picked a very strange use of words for your post. What would constitute duals that were not "true"?

I've seen plenty of HD's, including sporties, with left and right pipes, and I don't mean the XLCR factory one's.
J_F_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #14
DirtyDeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_F_Byrd View Post
If you had chosen to turn the rear pipe under the frame, and snake it around, instead of the front one, you'd have come closer to having equal length pipes. As others have pointed out, when I first looked at the right side pictures, I thought you still had both pipes exiting on the right.

You picked a very strange use of words for your post. What would constitute duals that were not "true"?

I've seen plenty of HD's, including sporties, with left and right pipes, and I don't mean the XLCR factory one's.
Written in response to this question earlier:

"Well, heres what I mean by true dual, and how I use the term. Almost every V twin has true dual exhaust unless theyre running a 2 into 1 system. However, most harleys run both pipes on the right side. Only a few run a pipe on each side. These are termed as "true dual" by websites, catalogs and dealers. Some systems offer the look, but the left pipe is a dumby pipe or theres a crossover pipe from one of the right pipes, creating 3 pipes.

So this system has no dumby pipes, no branch off from a right side pipe and has a pipe on each side of the bike. I hear this system to be called a true dual. And, other than the XLCR in '77, sportsters dont offer a true dual, or "a pipe on each side"." End.

I thought of running the rear pipe to the other side, but that would mean cutting into the header and reshaping the bends. I wanted to do this in a way that I could reverse it if I didnt like it, without having to re-weld the header back together. You know?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #15
drewb75

true "symmetrical" exhaust, imo
drewb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
FATBOY

I like the look and understand the effort. It's your bike and just doing it yourself is the reward a lot of times. Keep on keepin on man!!
I dig it.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #17
sixball

If it works for you, then thats all that matters. I "think" the term true dual exhaust mostly refers to the catalogs selling the pipes that have a pipe on each side of the bike , where the carb side pipe comes off the front jug and exits on the carb side, and the primary side pipe comes off the rear jug and exits on the primary side.

Then the cross-over exhuast is the stock type where there is a pipe on each side of the bike, but there is a pipe that dumps the front exhuast into the rear exhaust then crosses over to the primary side for a pipe on each side but yet they are not "true duals" because they are actually conected.

Sixball
sixball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #18
skajaquada

true dual means no connection from bank to bank...no crossover, no x-pipe, no connection between the pipes at all other than the vehicle itself.

as for that look, woulda been easier to just ride a trump. don't worry, when I see a brit with two pipes on the same side I think "just ride a Harley."
skajaquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:03 AM   #19
DirtyDeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewb75 View Post
true "symmetrical" exhaust, imo
That is a MUCH better decription! I like it!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:12 AM   #20
DirtyDeeds

Fatboy: Thanks for the kind words!
Sixball: I believe youre right in those descriptions, thats how I would discribe it as well.
Ska: Your description of true dual hits it on the head. As far as giving up my harley for a trumpet just so I could have symmetrical exhaust.... I think Ill stick with my set up instead! haha! I love brit bikes, but I wont ride one just so I can enjoy how it was built stock. I customize stuff too much and Id probably put both exhaust on one side like a harley just to mess with it, haha!