Pay Backs, The Dick Gambino Story - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
La Dolce

Default Pay Backs, The Dick Gambino Story

For those of you that cant read good. Just look at the pictures. But if you don't read it all.. Your missing the gems.

Edit: If your missing his site. Your missing the real show.
http://www.gambinometal.com/index.html
I was also able grab some video and put it on page 9.

So, I randomly ran into some girl one night. I must have mentioned I need a weld on my bike for some reason. She told me her dad works on old cars and does metal art. Dick Gambino metal craft. Then She showed me pics of his art things. She says "this is a picture of some old car he did a grill for". Little did she know it was a extremely high dollar Bugatti..!

I was like. If he could do that, he can surely weld on my lonely seat bungs. So I go to meet this weird old metal arts and crafts guy. He was out of the shop and left the roll gate up. To my shock I was staring at a hand formed dual head plugged BMW cafe racer where the side frame and cross braces welded solid. The lower frame rail is designed to be removable to pull the motor out the bottom!
This is the last thing I thought I would run into as I pulled in the drive way.

He showed up. We met, we talked. I told him I needed seat bungs welded and my numbers. Soon to find out he was an old biker and custom painter. Built choppers, stadium show bikes and drag bikes in the 60's. Raced a dirt Flat track in the 60's till he blew up his Ducati. Moved up to dragsters and painted funny cars in the 70's. Lives on a small sail boat.! In cold NJ year round. Did the body work for Ferrari race cars. Just plain unreal stuff. Topped of with the fact that he didn't redo a Bugatti grill. He hand shaped the whole car from photographs. All of the Bugatti fenders and body panels from flat steel. Yet he bills himself as a blacksmith.

At this point he had only seen my bare empty Triumph frame in hand. Two days later i picked up my frame with the seat bungs tacked up. I rushed home and built up my whole triumph chopper in three evenings. Threw it on a truck and drove it up for some other dodads/welds. As we pulled my chopper down he shoved me out of the way yelling "I gotta sit on it.. I gotta sit on it.. Oh yea, oh yea this is perfect".
He was like a crazed savage animal. So longer story short. He told me he wanted me to leave my bike there and I can come and work on it there. Come and go as I want and make sparks fly. All because he liked my bike and how i work. Works out great for me because he has all the big 100 year old tools and cool shit.

So I show up one day. There on the floor was this big old gang tool box. It looked like it had been under water cuz all the draws were like rust puddles. He then told me he had always wanted this box when he was a kid but couldn't afford one. He envied that box. All these years later someone found it and gave it to him. He lightly mentioned that one day he might think about fixing it up. Maybe paint it his old race colors.

So my plan was set. I was going to wait till he went on a trip to Texas and finish his dream because I know he just didn't have the time. I worked on it over three days. Ground out all the rust in the draws. Got some tough engine paint.
Painted it yellow and grey, his flat track racer colors.

Mind you these pics are after grinding and sanding.

I finished it up. Closed the lid and tossed it back on the floor in the scrap pile where it lay. Waiting for him to trip over it. So this was my little pay back for all of the priceless tip tricks he has given me.

Last edited by La Dolce; 09-15-2011 at 03:27 AM.
La Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
bongoman

Default Re: Pay backs...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing that.

The Purple Piper plays his tune, the choir softly sing, three lullabies in an ancient tongue, in the court of the Crimson King.....KC
bongoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
bhead1968

wow what a great story.. i want to see his reaction! thanks for sharing.
bhead1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
VonTodd

Point of the story........Was his daughter hot?

Sorry... That is a perfect pay back good story!
VonTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
danisdead

Hey La Dolce, Great little story, let us know his reaction.
danisdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
La Dolce

He found it mid day. Called me on the phone and told me, "He was touched",, That sad sap. he was like that son of a.. oooh I wonder if he painted the draws too. Yet I am glad I didn't paint his name on the box. Because he said that he had plans on painting his friends name on it who's health is going down south. That is now known as the Gary box.

Last edited by La Dolce; 12-16-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
VonTodd

That is one heck of a motorcycle work bench, how does he plan to get it down when finished?
VonTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Bozi

That is the stuff there. Sounds like you have a mentor for life. Guys like that are sometimes just as happy to meet somebody that truely wants to learn as you are to meet him.

Nuttly artistic types are the best.
Bozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
el diablo

hey dolce
you did a great job for someone who opened his shop and materials for you
you will be palls for live ....and thats great !!
el diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Glider

Yeah, but what about the chick?!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
jahluv

Scoop that chick up, for real...
Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Bozi

Hey, can you keep this thread going a bit, maybe post up pics of that BMW as it goes, your bike, sneak in a pic of the Bugatti maybe, this seems like a neat guy.
Bozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
little d

^^^^+1, and not that my opion meens any thing to anyone but my self, but, you sir, are whats it all about.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
Daddy Boy
Banned

First class La Dolce! Last week I took my seat pan with foam and my attempt at stretching some leather I was given to a shop to finish off and for the next 3 days got shown by him and using his tools how to finish it off, all new to me, end result was unreal, he didn't want any dough so I slipped him a 50 and told him I'd ride up to see him, said he'd never seen a seat he'd made before so I'm looking forward to that.
Anyhow all the best, that's people power man
Daddy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
Estaban

Way cool all the way round
Estaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
La Dolce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozi View Post
Hey, can you keep this thread going a bit, maybe post up pics of that BMW as it goes, your bike, sneak in a pic of the Bugatti maybe, this seems like a neat guy.
For you. No problem.

Only digital shot I know of. What needs to be grasped is. It was done with a ball peen hammer and hammered into a large hollowed out tree stump. The painters had to do no body fill. Plus he steam bent the wooden frame.

Last edited by La Dolce; 01-04-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #17
skinny

Kudos La Dolce,
good karma is a wonderful thing!
like Bozi says, keep the thread going with some pics of your bike and
more pics of that BMW

skinny
Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #18
Regulator

Very cool story...thanx for putting it on the Board...sounds like you have a great friend and mentor for life, most certainly...can't wait to hear what his reaction to seeing the tool box all painted up will be...yeah, we know but it will still sound even better yet when you post it up here...

Every once in a while, a thread is posted on the JJ that truely makes me glad I come here everyday...and puts a smile on my normaly grumpy lookin' face...this post surely did both to me....thanx again for that!!!

Larry in MD
Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #19
La Dolce

Before I try to find some pics, I will tell you that this guy is a master craftsman. Also he must have a of list people that ask stupid question cuz he keeps mentioning that he likes that I don't ask stupid questions. And that I don't show up with stupid looking bandannas and flames all over my shirts. I thrash on my bike and he walks over and says. Yea that looks good. Then walks away.

Funny part is he knows what I am doing with out looking. He just hears what I am up to. I make some kind of sound and from across the shop I hear things like. Second draw, turn it the other way, it's tight over there, the metal is hot isn't it. I look and he is never looking at me.

Last edited by La Dolce; 12-16-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #20
La Dolce

just a peek.

Home made forge

Mean power hammer
Just in case

His future BSA

Options?

Over 730 people viewed this, only 17 care. I did the gang box for Dick only but I will keep the story of Dick Gambino going for those that have showed some interest.

Last edited by La Dolce; 12-16-2009 at 01:44 AM.