Jockey Journal Forum banner

Helmet interior resto...

9K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  fightingzero 
#1 ·
Does anyone have tips on restoring old 3/4 helmet interior? Picked a metalflake helmet up off Egay a while back and it needs an interior make over. The side foams are good and the netting stuff around the sides is okay, but just hanging because there's no foam or netting in the top. I'm not looking to do a supreme-o job or anything, but some tips would be good! I'm thinking of just glueing some thin foam in the top that covers the edges of the hanging netting.

Silly thread, but I figured someone has gone through this...

#4 ·
I have like 4 metalflake helmets that need to be restored--what would be cool is to get hooked up with someone that does helmet reconditioning. There's got to be someone out there. . .

scootermcrad said:
Does anyone have tips on restoring old 3/4 helmet interior? Picked a metalflake helmet up off Egay a while back and it needs an interior make over. The side foams are good and the netting stuff around the sides is okay, but just hanging because there's no foam or netting in the top. I'm not looking to do a supreme-o job or anything, but some tips would be good! I'm thinking of just glueing some thin foam in the top that covers the edges of the hanging netting.

Silly thread, but I figured someone has gone through this...

#6 ·
Well, damn....I was hoping for some tips. I picked up an old metalflake helmet at the Salvation Army store in Clearwater for $3 a month or so ago. I looked all over the net for some restoration tips and came up blank, so I took the helmet apart and hopefully will get it back together this week. I plan to take pics, so no matter how it turns out, I will be able to provide some info on this.
Hank

#7 ·
Here's what I got
I bought an old metalflake helmet with a rotten interior
then I gutted it (pulled the foam and the styrofoam out)

I went to the swap meet and bought the new cheapest helmet I could find
and gutted it for the comfort interior
and put that in over the original styrofoam from the metal flake helmet

The only trimming I needed to do was on the side foam

Later
Hope it helps

#8 ·
I'm getting my old 'flaked helmet redone right now, I'll let you know the info when it's done. I've seen other helmets this last weekend done by this person, and the work is top notch, and a fair price for materials/labor.

I've also seen resto services for old helmets offered on Ebay - either as a seperate auction, in the auction description, or thru checking their Ebay store/other auctions of the listing person.

I don't wear a helmet in Colorado, but I do when I'm in Nevada and Cali (obviously). I'm definately a "pro choice" guy, but it's MY opinion that a helmet in need of repairs, or a helmet that has been "sorta repaired" will fuck you up worse than no helmet when you really need it to perform it's function.

#9 ·
It's easy...you can restore helmet guts at home. Depending on the original liner, and how the helmet fits your head now, makes a difference. Most old helmets are smaller in size, so oftentimes you can ditch the foam shell. If not, and it's a one-piece shell, sometimes cutting it down the center not only makes it easier to remove, but to reinstall with the new lining on it too. Get autmotive headliner material (comes in varying thicknesses) and some stealth spray contact glue. Don't fuck the welting up when you take it off, or you'll need to find another old helmet for a donor. I've had a half dozen or so done, even Kutty's mom's first husband's old jet boat helmet, and they've all turned out nice.

#13 ·
Irish Rich said:
I'm getting my old 'flaked helmet redone right now, I'll let you know the info when it's done. I've seen other helmets this last weekend done by this person, and the work is top notch, and a fair price for materials/labor.

I've also seen resto services for old helmets offered on Ebay - either as a seperate auction, in the auction description, or thru checking their Ebay store/other auctions of the listing person.

I don't wear a helmet in Colorado, but I do when I'm in Nevada and Cali (obviously). I'm definately a "pro choice" guy, but it's MY opinion that a helmet in need of repairs, or a helmet that has been "sorta repaired" will fuck you up worse than no helmet when you really need it to perform it's function.
could you explain to me how a bad helmet will fuck you up worse than if you were not wearing a helmet?

#14 ·
snortonnorton said:
could you explain to me how a bad helmet will fuck you up worse than if you were not wearing a helmet?
I think I can help clear this up. When he said 'sorta repaired helmet will fuck you up worse' it brought to mind a buddy of mine who is normally smart but not too mechanical. When his visor hinge broke on his full face, he drilled it and used two bigger bolts to put it back on. Well, it's for sure back on but if his head ever bounces around in it he's gonna get two big f'n holes in his right temple from those bolts. :eek:

I'm thinking it's things like that to which Rich was referring.

#17 ·
BigDdy31 said:
LOL! Yeah, I'm gonna get him a new helmet for his upcoming birthday, if for no other reason than to save him from himself.
I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead because a couple people I've talked to recently have asked the same question. WhopChop Brooks's interior swap tip below sounds solid. Irish Rich is also right: a shitty re-do is potentially more dangerous than no lid at all--be careful with the dimestore upholstery work (especially spray adhesives, which can melt the expanded polystyrene liner of a helmet before you can say "frontal lobotomy."

#20 ·
my .02...
if the inner strofoam is shit an the outer shell has places in it ..id shit can it or use it for a shelf ornament.. havin hit the ground "HARD" several times..(i use to race MX an street when i was younger) i wouldnt after thought not usin a good helmet.. i hav replaced the outer foam with 1" thick foam,, usin fabric glue, to hold it in place , works real well...

#22 ·
GASIT said:
I contacted Justified Defiance and they NO LONGER supply the kit to re-do the interior. Any other source?
I redid the liner on my $10 Orange/Gold Lear Seigler Spoiler helmet for about $30 worth of supplies. I used black, foam backed, headliner material, 1/4 inch foam, good 3M spray adhesive (all bought at a fabric store). It's not perfect a few creases, but it's safe and comfortable. No bolts in the temple :)
I'll probably redo it and take my time, do a nicer job. but it can be done. If the old liner is still in your helmet, you can reverse engineer the shape of the material and cut the headliner material the same way.

Mitch

#25 ·
There was a guy at the last Primer Nationals in Ventura- I missed him and someone is supposed to give me his addy and if I get it I will post it. The redone helmets look good and he'll paint them too, nothing fancy I think, flat or shiny.

#26 ·
There's a gal in seattle that rehabs old helmet interiors...really nice work and you'll pay for it...about $100...her work is nice but I haven't met her personally nor do I know how to contact her...I think I found out through felony flyers...What I did...pulled the foam liner out...go to the craft store and pick out foam lining material(whatever thickness you need between the liner and you...some spray adheasive to attach to liner...more spray and a bandana covering the whole inside with the excess glued around the outside of the liner...little more adhesive on the liner then carefully put back in..cost me about $4 and an hour of time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.