History Of Harley Tank Emblems.... - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
GRUMPYDGMC

Default History Of Harley Tank Emblems....

i don't know if anyone has asked this before but i have tried on search engines and so on and can't find the history and the illustrations of the emblems on harley tanks....i got a small stack here and everytime someone sees them they say a different year and so on with them.....does any one out there know where i can find the info ??

GRUMPYDGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
zarathustra's72

Default Re: History Of Harley Tank Emblems....

Hate to say it, but a Ted's VTwin catalog is pretty good for that.
zarathustra's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
BLACK13

are they all these?...these are the early shovel ones..i need 2 speedballs ........47up
Old 08-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
johnnylaw

Those look like ones used on 67-72 Bigtwin. How many do you have? I've been lookin' for a couple...Mick

Last edited by johnnylaw; 08-18-2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: grammar
johnnylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Dragstews
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragstews

The 67-72 Emblems was also used on the AMF HD golf carts...
Dragstews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
M.O.Ther

The '47-'50 Speedball emblems were designed by a gentleman named Brooks Stevens. The late '46 Enthusiast magazine that introduces the '47 Harley models calls him a "noted industrial designer." Stevens also did work for Jeep (most of the design on the Wagoneer) and Studebaker. If you've seen a Chevy Tahoe with the roof panel over the cargo area that slides into the front roof to haul tall items, know that Stevens designed this feature into the Studebaker Lark station wagons of the early '60's.

Last edited by M.O.Ther; 08-19-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling, it's "haul" not "hall"
M.O.Ther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
jq49pan

On the speed ball emblems it looks like the letters are red on the originals and the letters are black on the aftermarket ones. Is that right?
jq49pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
greasystain
Banned

didnt some have decals too?
greasystain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Chris Haynes

Originals are all red, no black paint. In the photo below you see an original emblem on top. The second is an old reproduction and the bottom is the new reproduction.
Note that the reproductions are not exactly the same shape as original either.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
M.O.Ther

Here are a couple of the more rare ones from my stash.

The plastic ones on the right are '61-62 Sportster XLH for the big tank sometimes called the turtle tank. The XLCH used a decal and the big twins for those years used the shooting star.

The ones on the left are for the 2000 Sportster 1200C with the 4.4 gallon tank. What? You say they didn't make a 4.4 gallon tank in 2000? You'd be right. HD started the project, and the tanks made it onto the prototypes and show bikes for the introduction, even made it into the parts book, but never made it into production. I was working the parts counter at a HD dealer at the time when I saw the communication from Harley and saw it as an opportunity. I located a pair from a dealer in SD (there were only like 6 in the computer,) and he sold them to me rather than let HD scrap them. The one is still sealed in the package.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
greasystain
Banned

this is the decal looking one i was talking about.

greasystain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
GRUMPYDGMC

hey thanks for the heads up on the v twin catalog....i will check that out right away....also i saw a post on here in a thread called something like parts you fabricated or made and one guy had those speedball emblems on his tanks and also made a matching points cover with the speedball...its looked really cool....here is my tanks that are going on my 68 shovel right now and they came with these original tank badges still on them.....they have a brass kind of finish on the lettering....

Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
Chris Haynes

Here is a board that has been on my garage wall for 20+ years.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
kevinhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.Ther View Post
Here are a couple of the more rare ones from my stash.

The plastic ones on the right are '61-62 Sportster XLH for the big tank sometimes called the turtle tank. The XLCH used a decal and the big twins for those years used the shooting star.

The ones on the left are for the 2000 Sportster 1200C with the 4.4 gallon tank. What? You say they didn't make a 4.4 gallon tank in 2000? You'd be right. HD started the project, and the tanks made it onto the prototypes and show bikes for the introduction, even made it into the parts book, but never made it into production. I was working the parts counter at a HD dealer at the time when I saw the communication from Harley and saw it as an opportunity. I located a pair from a dealer in SD (there were only like 6 in the computer,) and he sold them to me rather than let HD scrap them. The one is still sealed in the package.

I was just going to ask if anyone knew what emblem goes on the turtle tank. I have a pefect one sitting on the shelf waiting for the time I decide to build "The Masterpiece" and have been looking all over for the proper badge. These are the only ones I have seen and this is the only time I've found someone who knew what they look like. I'm sure those are Very pricey and I'm pretty sure no one is rebopping them, so....what will fit in their place, do you have any idea? My tank has all the original mountings and I would hate to fuck them up to put on a badge.
kevinhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #15
38knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhog View Post
I was just going to ask if anyone knew what emblem goes on the turtle tank. I have a pefect one sitting on the shelf waiting for the time I decide to build "The Masterpiece" and have been looking all over for the proper badge. These are the only ones I have seen and this is the only time I've found someone who knew what they look like. I'm sure those are Very pricey and I'm pretty sure no one is rebopping them, so....what will fit in their place, do you have any idea? My tank has all the original mountings and I would hate to fuck them up to put on a badge.
google it and it'll show you all the emblems you want to see and what years. and be paitent, the emblems are out there. pricey, but out there.
38knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #16
M.O.Ther

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhog View Post
I was just going to ask if anyone knew what emblem goes on the turtle tank. I have a perfect one sitting on the shelf waiting for the time I decide to build "The Masterpiece" and have been looking all over for the proper badge. These are the only ones I have seen and this is the only time I've found someone who knew what they look like. I'm sure those are Very pricey and I'm pretty sure no one is rebopping them, so....what will fit in their place, do you have any idea? My tank has all the original mountings and I would hate to fuck them up to put on a badge.
Depending on the year, different emblems were used on the turtle tanks. The plastic ones in my post were '61-62. Those screw holes are about 5 5/8" apart. For '63-65 they used the ones like in the lower left of Chris Haynes' collection. For '66 until they stopped using that tank (I think) they used the one in the lower center of Chris's collection. The screw holes on these, as well as the emblem in the lower right of Chris's collection are about 6 5/8" apart. These last three used the same emblem mount on the tank so HD wouldn't have to make a new one every couple of years. Same goes for these three emblems on the big twins. Stock tanks, those three are interchangeable. For the repop mounts, if you want to interchange them, you'll have to buy the '63-'65 mount and modify it.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
GRUMPYDGMC

i was digging around in the shop last night and found this set of small fatbobs we got last year in trade...it came with a chrome dash kit and center divider with gauges that looked like it came off a fxr or something like that....anyways it has these cool looking emblems on them....don't know if they are repops yet or not....

Old 08-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #18
ohmyguinness

^^^I think that's gotta be my favorite badge.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #19
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPYDGMC View Post
i was digging around in the shop last night and found this set of small fatbobs we got last year in trade...it came with a chrome dash kit and center divider with gauges that looked like it came off a fxr or something like that....anyways it has these cool looking emblems on them....don't know if they are repops yet or not....

They are repops. Simple to look at the fat back end. Gennies are much narrower back there.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #20
michaelbarry

Yep, those are re-pops..fat back end, black letters and the cross through the ball in the front isn't as sharp on the ends.
michaelbarry is offline   Reply With Quote