Back to Basics Bash 2009 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
Billdozer2

Default Back to Basics Bash 2009

We're doing something different for an event for 2009 and we're calling it the Biltwell Back to Basics Bash or just The Bash.

Personally I think we're all pretty tired of going to events that are parking lots filled with trinkets. I'm not sure when "biker" events turned to "shopping" events, but that's what most still seem to be. That mutual frustration was what lead to the first EDR. And the Gypsy Run, Atomic Throwdown, Rogue Run and a score of other home-grown events.

The Chop Meet was an experiment in making a commercial event better, and by most accounts it was. It was also way too much work and most people enjoyed the hanging out, camping, and riding the most anyway. Don't get me wrong, the industry needs good places to do their thing, but there are more than enough "parking lot" events to go around. Swaps are one of our favorite pastimes, but with Long Beach being such a solid event and Bardhal being such an ally to us, we'd rather just support him. The douches that complained or didn't "get" the Chop Meet won't be invited to this deal. No big promo, like the EDR, it'll just spread like a virus and those who get it will show up.

SO, having decided Mexico is a no-go for '09 what to do? Well, we tried to distill it down to the elements we enjoy. Ride motorcycles. Camp. Drink. Work on bikes. Maybe drown a worm. Drink. Repeat.

We found a local lake campground with a cul-de-sac group-camp area that is about twice the size of Ruben's in San Felipe. We met with the head ranger this morning and signed our deal to secure the entire area. It's separate from the rest of the "civilian" campers so we won't be mixing with people who think rebuilding a clutch at midnight is a bad idea. They do ask that bikes shut down by 10:00pm and that's also when they lock the front gate. If we can follow this basic rule, we're welcome to make it an annual deal which would be really cool for everyone. They allow alcohol which was of course a prerequisite, and there is a beer/bait/snack/gas store within a few hundred yards of the spot. The camp store dude has already been tasked with loading up on PBR and Pacifico. They are bringing in extra porta jons. There are no showers but there are faucets and electricity. You can ride over to another part of the campground and shower if you really need one.

The riding in the area is great. Over the next few months we'll put together some maps that show our favorite routes with mileage and gas stops along the way. Much of the riding is the first 100 miles or so of the EDR. Mild mountains and down into the sub-sea level desert and back. The micro-site www.biltwellinc.com/bash we put together today is a work in progress and will eventually have more links and maps to help out-of-towner's and locals put together fun rides for any day they choose. There are no organized poker run type activities, just ride your goddamn motorcycle. If anyone wants to put something together and leave at a certain time to go to a certain place or whatever, of course, feel free.

Here's how camping is going to work. First come, first serve. Pull up at the gate, tell them you are with the Biltwell Bash and they'll record your name and plate number, give you a little sticker for your headlight and tell you how to find the group camp. There are 70-some-odd actual sites. No one owns any particular spot. (I happen to hate hippies, but they seemed to have figured something out at Woodstock. I doubt there were assigned spots there.) Anyway, this whole big circular camp is ours, and is for BIKES and tents ONLY. If you have a girl in a truck or whatever, it'll go right across the dirt road and stay there. The big circle is for motorcycles and camping and we don't need four-wheeled anything balling that up. Don't bring daddy's RV. The first guys will grab the primo spots in the shade and everyone else fills in from there. We have to police our own trash and be out by Sunday about noon.

Did I mention that it's FREE? Yup. Thanks to some really cool sponsors, it's not going to cost you anything to camp. It's handled already. Just make sure to say thanks to them and support their businesses, most of them right here on the JJ. We might put out a donation tank or something but for the most part, just consider it our collective way of moving things away from the average motorcycle event dynamic. Sponsors might hang a banner and have a link on the website, but you won't see any vending or anything commercial going on. If you want to get involved, just contact one of us and we'll set you up. The kind of guys that sponsor the Bash understand that by sitting around shooting the shit, wrenching and riding with people, they often gain a customer for life rather than just selling them something in a parking lot.

Speaking of sponsors, Gabe at Afterhours is going to be grilling up the goods on Saturday night. He'll have some grub ready about 6:00 which is when we'll announce bike show winners. Just like EDR's in the past, the bike show is a real low-key deal. Any bike that gets ridden to the event is eligible and we'll pick a couple of judges and ask them for their favorites. Those riders will get bragging rights and some kind of custom trophy. This is really the only "hard" time we ask everyone to try and be there to see who wins what. We've talked the cafe guy (next to the camp store) into opening up for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday so there should be some coffee and chow available nice and close.

If you want to just come out for the day, walk around and check out bikes then go home, or stay in town for the night, feel free. Just respect the camping areas and know that you have to be out by 10:00 or you are sleeping in the dirt with the rest of us.

Sorry for the long-ass post, just trying to answer as many questions up front as possible! Speaking for myself, Chris, McGoo, and sponsors, thanks in advance, we're already looking forward to it!

More info here: biltwellinc.com/bash

Last edited by Billdozer2; 12-05-2008 at 12:15 AM. Reason: reduced big ass sat photo
Billdozer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
bigdeze

Default Re: Back to Basics Bash 2009

Thanks. See you dudes in April.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
lairdog

Bikes camping & beer...Your a Genius!
lairdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
carlingas

I can see myself there in April.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:01 AM   #5
Yamaha_chop

This really sounds like an amazing event I wish I could make it. Even though my bike isn't really the style accepted around here, this sounds like the sort of event I would be proud to attend. Big thanks to the sponsors for stepping up and taking care of the people without requiring something in return.

Amazing, and also a big hand to everyone who has a part in putting this thing together. Hopefully this'll be the start of a change for the better in this industry.
Yamaha_chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
Gepetto

That sounds great, camping and drinking. I just hope I'm done with my damn bike by then.
Gepetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
Scorcher
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Scorcher Send a message via Yahoo to Scorcher

Wish I could make it!! But the Lone Star Roundup is that weekend here in Austin.

-Jason
Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Isgro

Damn, sounds like a bad ass time. Wish I could make it out.

MID - vinyl graphics, banners and more.
Isgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
Headrush

Sounds bitchin ass, man...

My "friend" is a prop 215 patient.
Can he bring his necessary medicine?
Headrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
shiftace
Banned

Is that beach access too.? Hilarity/insanity/debauchery will surely unsue. Can't wait. nevermind, stay out of the reservoir

Last edited by shiftace; 12-05-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: learnt to reed.
shiftace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
RaceTraitor

I'm there!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
c.c-huber

Hell Yeah!
c.c-huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
Rudehog

Bill even though your a little "Fat" I still love you.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #14
BFJosh

Send a message via AIM to BFJosh

thats a pretty far ride for me so im going to take my time and take 3 days to get there if anyone wants to ride i should have a case truck arranged also. Bill ya interested!
BFJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
back yard bobbers

yes!
back yard bobbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
CLASSIC CYCLES INC.

Fuck yeah..... Can't wait!
www.classiccyclesinc.com
CLASSIC CYCLES INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #17
mad750

Send a message via AIM to mad750

O.K. I'm in.

Vegascrewdevilsplayground.blogspot.com
mad750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #18
notcool

sweeeeet!

Born-Free Show Blog

Freedom Machinery & Acc
notcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #19
r757rob

I am so in! I can't wait!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #20
piston8

I think you need to use Danny F.'s two Evos for the poster!
piston8 is offline   Reply With Quote