Panster - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
kevinhog
Senior Member
 
kevinhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Reseda, SoCal
Posts: 672
Default Panster???

Saw a pic of a Ironhead Sporty with a Pan top on it. Does anyone here know anything about such a conversion? Can Panheads be made to perform as well as Ironheads? The caption on the photo said it was a 93 incher and that was about all. I would be interested in changing one of my Ironheads to a 93" PAn monster. I would suppose the cases have to be highly modified for the barrels at the very least. Any data anyone might have would be appreciated.
kevinhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-21-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
#1.
Senior Member
 
#1.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Willamette Valley. Oregon
Posts: 181
Default Re: Panster???

Knuckster or Shovster would be cool too.

#1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Weyland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hollywood, Florida, U.S.A.
Posts: 165
Default Re: Panster???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhog
Saw a pic of a Ironhead Sporty with a Pan top on it. Does anyone here know anything about such a conversion? Can Panheads be made to perform as well as Ironheads? The caption on the photo said it was a 93 incher and that was about all. I would be interested in changing one of my Ironheads to a 93" PAn monster. I would suppose the cases have to be highly modified for the barrels at the very least. Any data anyone might have would be appreciated.

As with all hybrid motors, there's
always more to it than meets the eye.
You'll start with a bunch of welding and re-machining in the
cylinder deck area, and move inwards and downwards from there.

*ANYTHING* can be done.

It's just a matter of how much time,
effort, and money you wanna throw at it.

I'm building two hybrids right now.
(okay, as soon as I get back to the shop I'll pick up where I left off)

Best,

Weyland
__________________
Gallery of work - http://solutionsmachining.com/gallery
Weyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #4
chopper103in
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: sycamore,il
Posts: 54
Default Re: Panster???

i would call ron trock of trock cycle in burlington ,il
ph#847-683-4010
he was one of the first if not the first to build a sportster with a shovel top called a shovelster
he would probley know something about the one with a pan top end
chopper103in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:59 AM   #5
allcoamex
Senior Member
 
allcoamex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago,Il
Posts: 183
Default Re: Panster???

Chopper103 is right, Ron is the man, he can make any conversion Knuckster, panster, shovester. I know him and have talked to him a few times. If you stop by his shop bring a case of Miller lite and time will fly by listening to biker story after story. Problem is it is a very expensive conversion, last he told me vis work is about 1500.00 + std heads not machined + change internals pistons cam etc about a 7000.00 - 10000.00 on work and motor expensive yes, but a strong and fast motor. give Ron a call he will be glad to talk to you.
allcoamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:11 AM   #6
Abe_Lugo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 797
Default Re: Panster???

just buy a set of them pan covers people run on the rocker boxes and call it a day, if it's a performance thing your going after , you'd be trying to build an XR sportster engine. In fact, there an issue of Iron Works were a builder used a set of Knuckle covers and added all the "original" tabs to the wishbone frame and confused a lot of people. They though it was an old bobber, But in the end it's still a sportster engine. modified for looks.
Abe_Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
big_al
Senior Member
 
big_al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Trinity Texas
Posts: 825
Default Re: Panster???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_Lugo
just buy a set of them pan covers people run on the rocker boxes and call it a day, if it's a performance thing your going after , you'd be trying to build an XR sportster engine. In fact, there an issue of Iron Works were a builder used a set of Knuckle covers and added all the "original" tabs to the wishbone frame and confused a lot of people. They though it was an old bobber, But in the end it's still a sportster engine. modified for looks.
I was giving a bike a quick once over...a Knuck...and I immediatly notice the softail frame...and I am thinking "WHy in the hell would you put a knuck in a softail." I fixated on that while my buddies all noticed that it was one of those show covers on an evo. I felt stupid.
__________________
"Some people will tell you that slow is good and it may be, on some days but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles...."

Hunter S. Thompson - Song of the Sausage Creature
big_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
kevinhog
Senior Member
 
kevinhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Reseda, SoCal
Posts: 672
Default Re: Panster???

Not looking for performance, just don't want to build a slower motor than the Sporster already is. Just wondering what kind of performance one might expect from Pan heads. I haven't noticed a lot of speed records falling lately from the use of Pan heads. Would hate to go to the trouble to make something slower. And if it costs a bunch of dough it ain't gonna happen anyway. If it's something simple enough like weld the case a little and make the spigots fit and bolt the rest together, that might be worth doing. I know I can't get 96" that way, that would require a stroke as well as pan barrels. I'm just checking out my options. I like unique shit but not at the cost of performance.
kevinhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
Weyland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hollywood, Florida, U.S.A.
Posts: 165
Default Re: Panster???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhog
Not looking for performance, just don't want to build a slower motor than the Sporster already is. Just wondering what kind of performance one might expect from Pan heads. I haven't noticed a lot of speed records falling lately from the use of Pan heads. Would hate to go to the trouble to make something slower. And if it costs a bunch of dough it ain't gonna happen anyway. If it's something simple enough like weld the case a little and make the spigots fit and bolt the rest together, that might be worth doing. I know I can't get 96" that way, that would require a stroke as well as pan barrels. I'm just checking out my options. I like unique shit but not at the cost of performance.
It will perform very well, but if you're not the one doing the
welding and machining, it will cost you a fair amount of money.

Better?

Weyland
__________________
Gallery of work - http://solutionsmachining.com/gallery
Weyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Destralo Roach
Moderator
 
Destralo Roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tera Firma WA
Posts: 6,934
Default Re: Panster???

I talked to Trock a while ago and you would have to send him your heads and use his barrels as the stock pan barrels wont work, the shovel heads would work better for perfomance over the pans, thats why guys put them on the pan lowerends! if you want the best perfomance for your buck, put to gether a 1200 modifide evo sporty, cost about $4500 and WILL go 145mph gurarenteed!
Destralo Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
Danny F.
Senior Member
 
Danny F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Belgium (Europe)
Posts: 5,168
Default Re: Panster???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyland
As with all hybrid motors, there's
always more to it than meets the eye.
You'll start with a bunch of welding and re-machining in the
cylinder deck area, and move inwards and downwards from there.

*ANYTHING* can be done.

It's just a matter of how much time,
effort, and money you wanna throw at it.

I'm building two hybrids right now.
(okay, as soon as I get back to the shop I'll pick up where I left off)

Best,

Weyland
How about a single barrel Shovester...

Danny F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:49 AM   #12
White Nightmare
Senior Member
 
White Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 538
Default Panster

I found this on another forum.

96cu. in. and 130hp at the crank


White Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #13
Loe
Senior Member
 
Loe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Richland, Wa
Posts: 140
Default Re: Panster

how is that done. Im really interested. Looks cool.
__________________
I am what i am.
http://scumbuzzards.blogspot.com/
Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
badassbrutus
Senior Member
 
badassbrutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In a Van down by the river
Posts: 2,125
Default Re: Panster

Id like to know myself that is badass ,I got a motor pan bottom with shovel heads I would like to make a Pan,Knuckle like my avitar
badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #15
Sporticus
Senior Member
 
Sporticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 1,751
Default Re: Panster

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...2064&showall=1
Sporticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #16
Buford Powell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 62
Default Re: Panster

Saw my first Panster on a XLCR at Daytona in '82. It was a 74 inch motor, but didn't perform much better than the stock 1000cc that came in the bike.

So, claiming 130HP at the crank would equate to a real wheel dyno of what, after parisitic loss through the drivetrain? Just asking, I'm finding 130 HP to be an awful high rating for a 96" engine.
Buford Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #17
Trent
Atomic Custom
 
Trent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atomic Compound, NM
Posts: 3,809
Send a message via Yahoo to Trent
Default Re: Panster

bleh.
__________________
Atomic Trent
505-281-2520

Atomic Custom Website
https://atomiccustom.bigcartel.com
http://instagram.com/atomictrent/


"Custom parts are good only when they're cooler than factory parts. By cooler I mean have better lines, work better, etc."
Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
Oilburner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rome, NY
Posts: 396
Default Re: Panster

Some things are cooler to just "consider" than to actually go through with.
__________________
When life throws you a curve... Lean into it.
Oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #19
skootnshov
Senior Member
 
skootnshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: stpaul
Posts: 444
Send a message via AIM to skootnshov
Default Re: Panster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilburner View Post
Some things are cooler to just "consider" than to actually go through with.

no shit!
skootnshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
MCKENNA209
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: STOCKTON, CA
Posts: 473
Default Re: Panster

Probably not the most practical thing ever, but it sure is a piece of art. Very nice looking!
MCKENNA209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.