I'm thinkin outside the chop box... - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
halwade

Send a message via Yahoo to halwade
Default I'm thinkin outside the chop box...

anybody have photos, opinions or ideas about a Buell Blast-based single-cylinder, 500cc dirt-track inspired motorcycle? I'm collecting parts for another build and a Buell keeps poppin' up on my affordable donor bike list. I found a guy in Riverside, CA who'll sell his 2001 for $1500. It's yellow, goofy-looking and low mileage. Title and registration of course intact, so the back end of the build won't be fraught with headaches. I've seen one Buell Blast bike that wasn't completely gay: the one in the The Horse about 4 months ago. Anyone seen others? photos please...

and don't be afraid to tell me I'm a jackass.

harold
halwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
XCabbieS

Default Re: I'm thinkin outside the chop box...

Hey McGoo,

I know that buell did build some flat track bikes out of the blasts...I seem to recall that at least one of them was ridden by a girl, who promptly whooped serious ass on it...thats why I remember it, they made a big deal out of it..Not saying that they are a girls bike by any means though. Im pretty sure this was right when they first came out too.. Ill dig around and see if I can find any pics of them floating around..
XCS
Old 02-16-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
XCabbieS

Well here is one that I found for ya!

Old 02-16-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Surly

Theres another pic of a Dirt tracker in this singles thread...

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...8&page=7&pp=10

I think it's a cool idea. You can buy some cool parts from Omar's but they are a little pricey. http://www.omarsdtr.com/
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Trent
Atomic Custom

Send a message via Yahoo to Trent

There is a place that does Blast based customs.. I cant remember the name, but they have some really cool stuff.

Atomic Custom Website
https://atomiccustom.bigcartel.com
http://instagram.com/atomictrent/

"Custom parts are good only when they're cooler than factory parts. By cooler I mean have better lines, work better, etc."
Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
lilbill

you're a jackass
lilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:33 AM   #7
halwade

Send a message via Yahoo to halwade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbill
you're a jackass

thanks for the tips, the photos and the vote of confidence. my status as a farm animal notwithstanding, I think the buell will make a good donor bike. probably going to buy it this week...

trent, if you can recall the name of the blast-based customs shop, pls send it my way.

see you in mexico in three weeks!

mcgoo
halwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:20 AM   #8
XCabbieS

McGoo,

I think Crossroads performance does a lot of Blast stuff. I know that I had some of their stuff on my old Buell, good quality stuff at a good price.. AMAZING people there as well. At least there were when I talked to them a few years back.. I had a small problem with a set of bars( sort of a clip on setup with a plate..)that I got through one of their retailers that didnt work as it was supposed to, fitment issues and such.. I called them up to see if I was doing something wrong, and they told me that the part wasnt even for my bike..the shop sold e something that wouldn't work.. They actually got their hands on a Buell of the same model and year as mine and made up a set of one offs for me at no charge and had the retailer refund my money.. I call that GREAT customer service.. But back on the topic, they do a LOT of Blast stuff..
Chad
Old 02-22-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
Apehanger Hank

Somewhere I have some pictures of a street tracker blast, but I can't remember where I "hid" them on this damn computer. Guess this will have to do for now.
Not a tracker, but one of the nicer blast based bikes I have seen.
Hank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buell Blast.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	5227  
Apehanger Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:03 AM   #10
rev616

Send a message via AIM to rev616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apehanger Hank
Somewhere I have some pictures of a street tracker blast, but I can't remember where I "hid" them on this damn computer. Guess this will have to do for now.
Not a tracker, but one of the nicer blast based bikes I have seen.
Hank

i was just about to post that picture...someone told me that was a paugcho sporty frame that they used

chris

79 xlch
69 xlch
56 bsa a10
rev616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #11
beatcad

you'lle prolly think i'm a dork, but at 1st glance i thought that green bike in the curret HORSE mag was a blast. that bike is fuckin' sick! i've been daydreamin' about building a bike similer to that with a cool single(not supercharged)for a couple months before i saw that one. i've been pokin' around for a cheap blast, but so far the cheapest ones i've found are around 2 grand. that just aint in my budget rite now.
beatcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #12
XCabbieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcad
you'lle prolly think i'm a dork, but at 1st glance i thought that green bike in the curret HORSE mag was a blast. that bike is fuckin' sick! i've been daydreamin' about building a bike similer to that with a cool single(not supercharged)for a couple months before i saw that one. i've been pokin' around for a cheap blast, but so far the cheapest ones i've found are around 2 grand. that just aint in my budget rite now.
Hey Beat, you werent alone in that thinking man.. I saw lots of posts on various boards by peeps wh though it was a blast at first...
And for some reason that I cant really figure out, they really do seem to hold their value, dont they??
XCS
Old 02-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #13
OHIOCAFERACER

How about this??

Old 02-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #14
beatcad

that buell is way cuell(cool). what happened to the tread about pix of singles? these shoulda been there.
beatcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #15
ED OG

McGoo, OG ED here (EDR 06 survivor for those of you who do not know me). I dropped you a personal email about this recently but wanted more input from the general public. I just picked up a Buell s3t. It is in near perfect shape and like your recent score it came in my price range for a project bike (way under bluebook). I am determined to customize this creation. I have already been chatting with some OK greasers (where I live) who have been in Tap and Die shops since their daddies first let them play with their equipment. They are willing to let me take part 100% in my build out, which is great. This means I do not have to upgrade my tools by $3-4000 just to build the bike. I have seen hundreds of pictures and read tons of articles. I am still looking for the perfect fit in a custom frame for the 103hp engine. I am hooked on this modified sporty for some dumb reason. I rode it as is and it has big balls. Sport bikes are just not my ticket, I do like the 1200cc's however.
I also do not want a redneck or mutant type frame but want to use an old 1920's springer bicycles (Wards Hawthorn, etc) for the basis of the concept. If anyone has seen some decent customized Buell stuff, companies, accessories, parts, etc, etc, please send links and or pictures to baldwinedward@sbcglobal.net
Thanks,
Still bummed I did not make EDR 07 but I have been talking to the Rouge Run people about sponsoring.
OG ED
ED OG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:43 PM   #16
xicano

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOCAFERACER View Post
How about this??

oh my
xicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:19 PM   #17
front st cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCabbieS View Post
Hey Beat, you werent alone in that thinking man.. I saw lots of posts on various boards by peeps wh though it was a blast at first...
And for some reason that I cant really figure out, they really do seem to hold their value, dont they??
XCS

I just sold a 2002 for a friend. Had 2300 miles. basically new. book value is only $1850ish. I sold it without tryn for $2400. The chic that bought it said they are hard to find. Even had a HD stealershipp looking for her for months...I could have sold 3 or 4 of them for that price.
front st cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #18
Sporticus

Great idea. The Blast needs more love. Here's Jay Springsteen on a Sundance-built Blast flattracker

Sporticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #19
front st cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by halwade View Post
anybody have photos, opinions or ideas about a Buell Blast-based single-cylinder, 500cc dirt-track inspired motorcycle? I'm collecting parts for another build and a Buell keeps poppin' up on my affordable donor bike list. I found a guy in Riverside, CA who'll sell his 2001 for $1500. It's yellow, goofy-looking and low mileage. Title and registration of course intact, so the back end of the build won't be fraught with headaches. I've seen one Buell Blast bike that wasn't completely gay: the one in the The Horse about 4 months ago. Anyone seen others? photos please...

and don't be afraid to tell me I'm a jackass.

harold
I say do it! sporty frontend & mags, Dunlop K180's & a tailsection. That would be a great cheap beater to have fun on. Hell even loan it out when a bud needs a ride...
front st cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #20
sweatmachine

I'd do it this way: Nallin big bore kit, flowed heads, big valves, 1x HSR 41mm mikuni, slap that motor in a CB chassis (something small, 550, etc) and build a cafe racer thumper out of it a la BSA.

Fuck yeah.
sweatmachine is offline   Reply With Quote