Alternator Stator Replacement on a Shovelhead question - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 11-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
blacufo

Default Alternator Stator Replacement on a Shovelhead question

It looks like my stator is cooked. The last time I fired my bike up it started smoking, like an electric short, out of the connector where the regulator plugs into the stator in front of the block. Never seen that happen before, but looking inside the block where the female ends for the stator where, the connectors and the housing that held the connectors were fried. I checked the connections and no more juice was coming out so its time to replace it. I have taken the primary apart before and replaced the clutch before, but never had to replace the Stator. Just wondering if there are any tips I should know about replacing it outside of what the old Clymers has. And as far as a replacement are there anyones that are better then the other, or any OEM will do. I got a 2 prong stator.
Thanks
blacufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Darren B

Default Re: Alternator Stator Replacement on a Shovelhead question

There are a couple of different charging systems that came in the cone shovels. You most likely have the 22amp one if your machine is pre 78 (I think). Just call your local dealer and buy the stator that matches your year. It is super easy to replace....about a 15 minute job. The only trick is probably to loosen the regulator so it is easier to unplug / replug the stator through the case.

An oldtimer once explained to me choppers tend to overwork the charging system on a bike because you've most likely stripped lots of electrics out of your machine. That charging system was meant to run all the lights / displays/ guages/ and charge the LARGE stock battery (in the FLH's anyways). Run your machine with the headlight ON all the time to suck up as much juice as possible or you will tend to burn out your regulator prematurely. Hope this helps.
Darren B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Larry T

I don't know of any real tricks. If you are running an open primary, it should be pretty simple. If you're running a stock setup, the inner primary has to come off so it gets a little more labor intensive.
Larry T
Larry T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
krusty the clown

you can even update to an evo setup...........use 2 pocket screwdrivers bent at a 90 to hook behing the rotor to pull it off you'll have to pull pretty hard because the residual magnetism will try to hold it on.
krusty the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Fredo

This is a perfect time to up grade to a 32 amp system. here's what I use and the price aint all bad either. yeah I know I hate e-bay too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHROME-32A-CHARG...QQcmdZViewItem
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
bigassbike

the job is kind of a pain in the ass if you got to remove the inner primary, not too bad but it takes a while. good time to unhook the factory oil flow thru the primary sludge if its still hooked up.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
blacufo

thanks for the feedback. The primary is still the stock enclosed cover. I figured it wasnt an easy fix but probably a good time to replace the primary seals and check the clutch plates. Probably go that 32 amp route.Thanks
blacufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
Fredo

Like Bigassbike said don't forget to plug off that olier for the primary chain. Just add oil to the correct level and never worry about that shit geting into your oil pump again.
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote