Rivera Pro clutch diagnosis - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > Tech Archives

Old 08-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
sugarlou

Default Rivera Pro clutch diagnosis

K...I have a 3 "belt drive on my shovel..If you've ever tried this setup w/ the stock or 5 finger clutch you know its difficult if not impossible to keep the clutch basket from "walking out" while the clutch is pulled in..So after living with it for a few seasons i decided to up grade the clutch..2 options I was considering were Rivera...and Barnett Scorpion..both made for Shovel/Pans..I heard from a friend the Pro Clutch worked great..but was a "little noisy". I bought it..it wasnt cheap ..like 550$ . Installed easily and works PERFECTLY..BUT..this clutch rattles like a MF.. You can hear it from miles away..I didn't think it would be an "issue"..my bike is fairly loud w/ the pipes, how loud could it be?..Well put it this way..if you took an empty spray paint can and attached it to the clutch w/ the ball bouncing around inside the can..thats pretty close..And its the kinda noise that hits you the wrong way..riding/ stopped/ engaged/ disengaged...noise!... when you pull into a parking lot or bar w/ other bikes in it everyone will turn and say WTF is that? Is there something wrong there? BUT as I said it works PERFECTLY..Just a heads up to someone considering this "upgrade".It bugs me so much I am considering swapping for the Barnett.

Last edited by sugarlou; 08-01-2007 at 09:49 PM.
sugarlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Trent
Atomic Custom

Send a message via Yahoo to Trent
Default Re: Rivera Pro clutch for Shovel warning..

So, you are complaining that the clutch on your chopper is too loud.

Atomic Custom Website
https://atomiccustom.bigcartel.com
http://instagram.com/atomictrent/

"Custom parts are good only when they're cooler than factory parts. By cooler I mean have better lines, work better, etc."
Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
chicagogreaser

The one I had on my old bike was fine in every way, shape and form and I will run another one when I get to that point on my '49.
chicagogreaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
tom
TI_Tuesday

if you want to get rid of it send me a pm!
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
sugarlou

..its got a certain frequency that drives me insane..thought I might let others in on it..May not be an issue for some..I for one dont like hearing a rattle can shaking in my ear constantly while I am riding..It annoys the fuck out of me.. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this..I'm not looking for a beating here.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
Dr. Benway
Mod Squad

I thought loud clutches saved lives?

I have a dry clutch Ducati, open cover, though the sound is probably different from what you're getting, but it's still loud and distinctive.

I dig the mechanical racket, some people don't. To some it sounds "broken"...
Dr. Benway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #7
sugarlou

It sounds broken alright....and it makes the bike stand out from the sea of Evo's..but i would rather hear the mill than the clutch rattle. JUST ME...Tom when I get some scratch for the swap I'll give you a great deal on it. Anyone run the Barnett Scorpion????
Old 08-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
Beefdrippings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlou View Post
Maybe I shouldn't have posted this..I'm not looking for a beating here.
No way man.I'm glad you posted this.I'm gonna be buying a new clutch for my shovel and this kind of stuff helps.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
Dr. Benway
Mod Squad

Quote:
It sounds broken alright....and it makes the bike stand out from the sea of Evo's..but i would rather hear the mill than the clutch rattle. JUST ME...
Guys who know more will chime in here, but if it's THAT loud, something may be f'ed up, you know?
They should be noisy, but what you're describing sounds pretty horrendous.
Dr. Benway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Irish Rich

The Scorpion clutch is louder.......
Irish Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
sugarlou

I am a musician and a bit nutty when it comes to noises...Ive got "ears" so to speak and certain things get to me. It's installed correctly and works fine as I said..but its LOUD..I called the company and their guy said.."yup" when asked if it was supposed to sound like that..If anyones considering this clutch and feels it may be an issue for them as well..GIVE ME A CALL..I let it run over the phone..Clack clack clack...Also note that this is an OPEN PRIMARY. Hey Chicago, you running open belts as well or primary covers?

Last edited by sugarlou; 08-01-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #12
sugarlou

Does the Scorpion quiet up while you are riding..or make noise all the time? I understand it should make noise while the lever is pulled in and the tension is off the plates but when riding it should shut the fuck up like the stocker..no?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #13
Trent
Atomic Custom

Ok, either you are hyper sensitive or there is something not right with that Pro Clutch.

I run Rivera clutches exclusively. Its the best clutch on the market.. PERIOD.

Atomic Custom Website

"Custom parts are good only when they're cooler than factory parts. By cooler I mean have better lines, work better, etc."
Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #14
todd
mucho-rake

rivera for life
todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #15
sugarlou

I wouldn't say Hyper sensitive..other people hear it too, its not like its just me..I am not the first to complain about the noise..The guy who said it was a "little noisy" was a local shop owner who I bought the clutch from. He told me another customer who he sold the same clutch to had him remove it due to noise. Trent I RESPECT your opinion..you build awsome stuff but I am not saying ITS NOT A GOOD CLUTCH. I am saying FOR ME it's fucking annoying and may be to others as well..just a heads up man.

Last edited by sugarlou; 08-01-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #16
Tha Nutz

In terms of making a big twin a comfortable daily rider, I think a pro clutch is the absolute number one thing to do. No more hand cramps in traffic.

They definitely clatter, but the BDL I used to use was the same or worse.
Tha Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #17
sugarlou

It was no doubt a gigantic improvement over the stock clutch as far as performance is concerned..feels way better...no creeping
Old 08-01-2007, 11:27 PM   #18
Dr. Jett

I don't get it? The only time a dry clutch should rattle is when it is dis-engaged (pedal/lever depressed). Are you saying the thing rattle-chingles even when you are in gear?

I mean every open primary I ever had with just about any brand of clutch rattles when the lever is depressed due to the steel plates clanking around in the clutch basket and being loosely dragged by the friction plates, but damn, I never leave the clutch depressed for any period except for departing a stop, or changing gears, and that lasts only a few seconds.

I actually love the sound of a loud clutch rattle, but is sounds like you are saying it does it while in gear.

There must be something wrong with the setup or installation on your bike.
Dr. Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:27 PM   #19
choppercopper1

I have two of them. One on the 49 and one on the 57. They do make a racket. The guys at the shop say they know when I am comming from the sound of the clutch. It don't bother me. If you really want to make it loud try drilling holes in the basket. The noise is even louder. Best clutch I have ever run.

Last edited by Dragon; 06-11-2008 at 07:53 PM.
choppercopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #20
sugarlou

It makes the same sound w/ the clutch in or out and the rep says "yup" when asked if this is normal..I don't see why or how ..but it does..
Old 08-01-2007, 11:41 PM   #21
Dr. Jett

Quote:
It makes the same sound w/ the clutch in or out and the rep says "yup" when asked if this is normal..I don't see why or how ..but it does..

That I don't understand that, in gear. If the drive dogs of the metal plates are engaged against the drive blocks inside of the clutch basket, and the friction material plates are clamped down on the metal plates, what the hell could be rattling? Sounds strange.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:55 AM   #22
caschnd1

Yeah.... I'd agree with Dr Jett. The clutch shouldn't make any noise running down the road. Somethings not right.

I also find the sound of a dry clutch (when disengaged) in a belt drive to be very annoying. Affects me like finger nails on a chalk board.

I found a different solution to that problem though. I installed a SuperMax SilentDrive primary belt drive. This thing is made out of polyurethane and is tough as nails. And the polyurethane clutch basket won't pass the noise of the clutch the way aluminum clutch baskets do. It's as quiet as a wet clutch now. I was skeptical about the toughness of polyurethane pullies, but after 30K miles they still look like new. No signs of wear on the teeth. I run mine under a tin primary cover.

In the original message you said that you swapped the clutch because the clutch basket was walking out. This is actually a indication that the engine output shaft and transmission input shaft are not aligned. With primary chains the alignment is not as critical as with belt primaries. If you get the engine and transmission aligned, the clutch basket won't walk out. There are also two relatively inexpensive band-aid fixes for this problem. One is called the Ram Jett Retainer (about $15) and the other is called the Clutch Tamer (about $50). Both will keep the clutch basket from walking out, but do not address the alignment issue.

-Craig
caschnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:12 AM   #23
laid55

try some of the stock steel plates with the spring loaded ball bearing.that'll quiet it down some.
laid55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:35 AM   #24
76shuvlinoff

I was always told they are loud when ran open but I run one in a closed chain drive primary on my shovel and hear nothing, never going back!
76shuvlinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #25
sugarlou

The stock cluth couldnt handle the outward pressure of the 3"belt....The motor sprocket and clutch basket were dead nuts using a piece of glass as a straight edge. I installed the "tamer" as well...It worked ...but barely and if you got caught in traffic it got real "cranky"..I knew there was a better way..To try and finalize this post: The Proclutch works great...and makes alot of noise engaged or dissengaged...AND according to Rivera thats NORMAL. Theres nothing"wrong there". if the metal plates arent engaged agianst the dogs the bike would not move..I cant say whats causing the noise..perhaps Rivera can. Also theres obviously other people who hear this rattling...some care/ some don't..Thats the point i am trying to make.

Last edited by sugarlou; 08-02-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #26
Trent
Atomic Custom

No worries, I didnt take your post as any sort of disrespect..

I do think something is wrong, as I said I run those exclusively .. they dont make noise going down the road, but at a stop light you will get some clatter.

Dont give up on that clutch.. all the other aftermarket clutches make the same or MORE noise.

Atomic Custom Website

Old 08-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #27
Kuda

+1 for the Supermax belt set up, I run the 2 1/4" open Preditor and it's dead quiet, plus a stray rock won't break the 14mm toothed belt. Mind you, I also run a stock 3 finger clutch, but as everyone said, it should NOT make much if any noise when it's engaged. Something's not right there for sure. Have you tried the stock anti-rattle flats yet? Those would be the little sprung ball affairs that lock onto the dogs...

-Kuda
'49 panchop
Kuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #28
bustedlifter

I run one, best clutch ever! Yeah, it makes mechanical music but ,the more it makes the cooler it is.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #29
Halseth

+1 for the Rivera.

I love the sound of mine jingle-janglin at a stop light but if yours is making noise rolling down the road, something is wrong.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #30
Chopperdave

Send a message via AIM to Chopperdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
Ok, either you are hyper sensitive or there is something not right with that Pro Clutch.

I run Rivera clutches exclusively. Its the best clutch on the market.. PERIOD.

Exactly, what he said

the ONLY clutch I will run on anything from a stock pan to a big inch motor.

PERIOD
works better than any other clutch out there.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #31
flattracklarry

Quote:
The stock cluth couldnt handle the outward pressure of the 3"belt....The motor sprocket and clutch basket were dead nuts using a piece of glass as a straight edge. I installed the "tamer" as well...It worked ...but barely and if you got caught in traffic it got real "cranky"..I knew there was a better way..To try and finalize this post: The Proclutch works great...and makes alot of noise engaged or dissengaged...AND according to Rivera thats NORMAL. Theres nothing"wrong there". if the metal plates arent engaged agianst the dogs the bike would not move..I cant say whats causing the noise..perhaps Rivera can. Also theres obviously other people who hear this rattling...some care/ some don't..Thats the point i am trying to make.

Check that your engine pulley is tight on the sprocket shaft spline. It'll rattle like you are describing if it's loose.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #32
SltyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperdave View Post
Exactly, what he said

the ONLY clutch I will run on anything from a stock pan to a big inch motor.

PERIOD
works better than any other clutch out there.
I have to agree here as well. I bought a Rivera from Trent and got it on about a month ago. I don't think it's any noiser than the stock clutch (not noisy at all). I have to also agree with the majority here and say that there's got to be another issue here. Not questioning your wrenching ability at all but if it was me I'd probably take it off and inspect it thoroughly and re-install it.
SltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #33
sugarlou

I was going to remove it but a call to Rivera said it was normal...I will recheck every thing now though..It works perfectly and i have logged lots of miles w/no problems..I will do a youtube video...
Old 08-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #34
sugarlou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xBaZJQiAyE

A Link to youtube..i dont seem able to make the vid appear here...

Last edited by sugarlou; 08-02-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #35
sugarlou

I thank everyone for the input..I appreciate all..I believe its installed correctlyalthough I am starting to doubt the mating up the Karata basket and dogs to the Rivera steels..They look quite different in size..The Karata dogs are skinny compared to the slots in the steels..

Last edited by sugarlou; 08-02-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #36
PatrickCL

Quote:
I thank everyone for the input..I appreciate all..I believe its installed correctlyalthough I am starting to doubt the mating up the Karata basket and dogs to the Rivera steels..They look quite different in size..The Karata dogs are skinny compared to the slots in the steels..
It is normal for the slots in the steel plates to be wider than the dogs in the clutch basket on most of the 4 speed setups I have seen. You just want to make sure you have the clutch pack set up correctly where the steel plates are not the first or last in place on the clutch pack.
PatrickCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #37
tom
TI_Tuesday

Quote:
sugarlou, I measured the dogs(? slats inside the pulley) on two pulleys here for reference and they were all on/about .50 (+/- .003)
Old 08-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #38
sugarlou

Forgive my backyard technology...whats .50 transfer roughly in 16ths of an inch?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #39
bwagner

[quote=sugarlou;193058]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xBaZJQiAyE

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!! Thats sounds like garbage! I agree with you dude, that is horrible and does sound just like a can of paint. When the tone changed a bit towards the end, was that you pulling the clutch lever? I'm thinking you need to get that thing off and do a little troubleshooting. Good luck with it, and when you find the demons, post again to fill us in. I'm sure it would be helpful to those interested in installing one on their own scoot.
bwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #40
sugarlou

Somethings wrong..but the fucker works perfectly so ..I called 'em..they said the noise was normal...It comes apart this weekend.I'll take pics..Yes ,The change in tone was the lever being pulled in.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #41
76shuvlinoff

that sounds like it's falling apart, take it apart
76shuvlinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #42
sugarlou

I am starting to think I may have been shorted a disk..or a steel.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #43
sugarlou

Default Rivera Pro Clutch Part 2

As per suggested..I took my Pro Clutch apart for inspection today..I was complaining of what I felt to be "excessive noise" in my last thread. The ONLY thing I found to be suspect were the condition of the Karata pully/basket's "dogs"..They need to be replaced..Will that bring the rattle can noise down?...maybe .maybe a little.....maybe not... I was able to run the bike without any clutch friction/steels in the basket and it made no noise.This eliminates the clutch basket and motor pully and belt... The clucth makes the same rattling when you are riding..but decreases substantially when you let off and "coast". Almost no noise when you pull out in first ...some at second and plenty when you are in third doing around town speeds. I really wanted to find the"demonds" ...but no luck..The baskets bearing runs smooth ..the basket does not wobble in any way..the motor pully is tight. The clutch hub was tight (60ft lbs)and spun smoothy and true with no wobble.. I repacked the plates as per the instructions..used the supplied washers to add a little more spring tension...locked the tabs [/IMG]down..and fired it up to the same rattle it had before I started..Any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #44
Dr. Jett

Default Re: Rivera Pro Clutch Part Duex

I don't use Riviera pro clutch, so excuse me if I'm off base here, but why is the distance between the clutch steel plate to friction plate different than the distance between the last friction plate and the basket drive face???? Sould they not be the same??? See arrows:

Old 08-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #45
sugarlou

the first steel is a fatty..the rest are thinner..why? Dont know
Old 08-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #46
Dr. Jett

Lou,
It appears you are driving the transmission and final drive by the outer pressure plate clamping somewhat down on the steel plates, and the steel plates are driving the basket via the steel basket dogs.

In reality, the steel basket dogs are just there to keep the steel plates aligned and to somewhat engage the clutch, but the true clamp-up of the clutch should be the pressure plate clamps everything down against the rear (inside) drive face of the basket.

I see friction scratches on the basket drive face, but maybe that is from the last clutch you had in there.

Maybe your Ramjet isnt installed correctly allowing the basket o be pushed back towards the transmission, or something is stopping the clutch pack from seating on the basket drive face.

You steel drive dogs tell a story that they are taking all the drive load from the steel plates.

My. 02
Old 08-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #47
sugarlou

This clutch is "special"..the stocker has steels w/slots on the ends and frictions w/ no slots...this clutch has slots on the ends of the frictions and none on the steels. Its the opposite..I am not sure how that applys but...it works great.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #48
hillbillyhell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jett View Post
Lou,
It appears you are driving the transmission and final drive by the outer pressure plate clamping somewhat down on the steel plates, and the steel plates are driving the basket via the steel basket dogs.

In reality, the steel basket dogs are just there to keep the steel plates aligned and to somewhat engage the clutch, but the true clamp-up of the clutch should be the pressure plate clamps everything down against the rear (inside) drive face of the basket.

I see friction scratches on the basket drive face, but maybe that is from the last clutch you had in there.

Maybe your Ramjet isnt installed correctly allowing the basket o be pushed back towards the transmission, or something is stopping the clutch pack from seating on the basket drive face.

You steel drive dogs tell a story that they are taking all the drive load from the steel plates.

My. 02
What he said. Your noise is the plates hammering into the dogs. They should NOT look like that, but they do because the plates are transmitting power throught them. For whatwever reason, the clutch isn't clamping enough.
hillbillyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #49
Tman

I dont know much but I heard a bike at the shopping center the other day that was rattleing just like is described here..........and it was pitifull.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #50
sugarlou

I was told by a local shop owner that the dogs were indeed worn but that it was "normal"... any clutch will do that to the dogs over time ..no? Why then are they removable/serviceable?

Last edited by sugarlou; 08-04-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #51
bigassbike

Quote:
Why then are they removable/serviceable?
it would be hell to machine a clutch basket and have them NOT be a seperate part.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #52
sugarlou

good point
Old 08-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #53
bustedlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyhell View Post
What he said. Your noise is the plates hammering into the dogs. They should NOT look like that, but they do because the plates are transmitting power throught them. For whatwever reason, the clutch isn't clamping enough.
I'm willing to bet those dogs are worn from the old clutch. I run a pro clutch and there's no slipping no matter how much you grab the throttle. As far as wear,it's a lot easier on parts than the stock set-up. They make some noise but the trade-off is a clutch that works flawlessly.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #54
tom
TI_Tuesday

sugarlou- if you decide to replace it I have a 3" pulley I'm not using, you can have it cheap. send a pm if interested.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #55
sugarlou

I would say the marks are from the Pro clutch..the spacing is much to close to be the last clutch..(stock style). It would seem the pack is not tighteneng up enough as stated earlier by the DR.J. Although there really isn't any adjustment ...just washers..which Ive installed already..same noise..It may be the worn dogs..but for now I am sticking to my original post..this clutch/basket combo makes big noise. Ive contacted Primo..let see their responce..I'll post it once it arrives.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #56
laid55

Quote:
the first steel is a fatty..the rest are thinner..why? Dont know
What's up Lou?the reason the first is a fatty is because that is now the main contact surface.the clutches no longer use the surface of the clutch basket as the contact surface.if I'm not mistaken,that fat disc bottoms out on a lip on the clutch hub a cunt hair before it touches the basket.the reason is,there's now a bearing pressed between the hub and basket that wouldn't take the side load pressure.so,unlike the old style clutch set up,the rivera actually relys solely on the dogs to connect the hub and basket,through the clutches.that being said,I'm sure if you replace the dogs,it will get quieter.also,i noticed you said you were running a basket that wasn't a rivera .is it possible that the dogs are a little thinner to begin with,than rivera's?just a thought.I've ran these clutches before on a coule of bikes,and I can only say good things about them.I've never had them make that much noise before while engaged,but they do make a little.the only place that noise could be coming from is between the dogs and the clutches.so concentrate there.check the tolerances.I live about 10 minutes from rivera.if I can help you out in any way,let me know.John,the owner,is real cool and helpful.I've dealt with him plenty of times.and the chicks that work there are fuckin' HOT!anyhow,don't get discouraged,it's an easy fix.
later
Old 08-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #57
sugarlou

Thanks Laid..its really come down to the dogs it seems..Also I am sure Rivera is not happy I am running a Karata Belt drive! I have attempted to contact Rivera..sent them a link to my little youtube Vid of the bike running. It makes sense now that you've explained the deal w/ the thick steel going in first to eliminate the basket back wall..and as stated the clutch works great..I have logged lots of completely trouble free miles..The dogs may be different than the primo's ..That was my earlier assumption. Either way it sounds like a grenade went off in there. (to me)
Old 08-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #58
Trent
Atomic Custom

Rivera are 1/2"

Atomic Custom Website

Old 08-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #59
sugarlou

doggie measurement[/IMG]
Old 08-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #60
sugarlou

They are SLIGHTLY smaller..enuff to make a racket??? Thanks again Trent.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #61
laid55

Quote:
They are SLIGHTLY smaller..enuff to make a racket??? Thanks again Trent.
yup!I was looking at your earlier post where you ran it without the metal plates.if you look at your picture of the basket.by removing the plates,all the clutches moved over,possibly to the spots on the dog that weren't worn,and possibly even thicker from the edges of the worn out spots.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #62
sugarlou

I ran it w/out any plates..no frictions or steels to eliminate the basket/motor pulley and belt from the equation. I am not following you laid.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #63
sugarlou

from this view the dogs/ plates look [/IMG]pretty compatable..no?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #64
sugarlou

Latest update..An email was sent to Rivera w/ a link to the youtube video..An email was sent to me stating I needed to call John on the phone for tech assistance...I called, got some young lady on the phone..she was very nice but almost impossible to understand..alot of ..ummm...umm. You know the type..John was at lunch..he called me back, I told him my sad tale ..said I would email him the link again..He said he'd take a look and get back to me.......no word yet. I get the feeling I've been brushed off but will give them the benefit of the doubt.........
Old 08-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #65
sugarlou

Day 3 no word..resent an email re asking to look at my video and get back to me.. Starting to fade on Rivera Engineering offering tech assistance.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #66
Tman

Remember Sturgis is going on and many companies have their people outr here working the booths. I would give it until next week.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #67
sugarlou

I will..but I spoke to John on the phone at the Rivera offices on Mon.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #68
sugarlou

UPDATE ..John at Rivera tech help is not responding to my emails and has offered no usefull advice...nice company...They were sure friendly when taking my $550
Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 AM   #69
Trent
Atomic Custom

Quote:
UPDATE ..John at Rivera tech help is not responding to my emails and has offered no usefull advice...nice company...They were sure friendly when taking my $550

Man, this sucks. Rivera has ALWAYS been great to me. Maybe you pissed someone off there! haha

Atomic Custom Website

Old 08-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #70
Big Nick

I'm goign by the shop at 1 today. I will ask my buddy, I know we had a few customers with the same problems. i will show him this link.
Big Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #71
sugarlou

I have been nothing but nice to the Rivera people..I don't go spouting off at the mouth unless seriously provoked! I spoke to him once ..he said email me the link..I emailed it ..nothing ..I remailed him...nothing nasty this exactly "have you had a chance to review my video yet"..If that pissed him off he's a nut..Then after no word i copy and pasted the same email ..maybe 3 more times. The last one I sent said "are you recieving my emails" Hardly harsh words..Today i get a responce asking me to forward it to someone else in the company..I did..We'll see. B
Old 08-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #72
sugarlou

Got a reply today and as expected ...THIS CLUTCH IS ONE NOISY MF!...Heres the poop from Rivera...

Hi, From the video you sent, it sounds like normal noise that you getfrom an open belt drive. However, as the clutch p[lates start to wear, andthe gap between the edge of the friction and the clutch dog grows, the drivewill become noisier. Usually replacing the plates will help to quiet that abit.Thank you,Ben KudonDirector of Sales & MarketingRivera Primo Inc.
THIS CLUTCH SOUNDED EXACTLY LIKE THIS WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED IT..maybe a tad quieter.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #73
Dr. Jett

Well, they stopped short of trying to sell you official Rivera logo'ed earplugs. Thats considerate.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #74
sugarlou

the video link again
Old 08-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #75
sugarlou

no shit!!!..I ride w/ an Ipod and noise cancelling earbuds...
Old 08-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #76
trimixdvr

wish I could help, can tell you that I have one on a 79 shovel and it makes a little noise...nothing like that though..
trimixdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #77
front st cycle

I don't own a belt drive, but I have never heard one that sounded like that either...

so much for customer service!
front st cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #78
sugarlou

I am gonna turn one of my "brainiac" buddies loose on this deal...I sent him the vid and said.."no way .. let me at it." So I'll post what we (he) comes up with.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #79
bigassbike

its a racket, but i 've heard the same. might try some old style with the little springy anti-rattlers
Old 08-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #80
sugarlou

Default Re: Rivera Pro Clutch Part 2

this clutch is backwards though( so to speak )..the stocker has the notches on the steels..this has the notches in the frictions..so they aren't interchangable
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update as of 12/5/07

O.K heres the original video link

Its fucking freezing/ snowing here in NJ and the Shovel is a bit cranky about starting so no follow up video yet.

Heres the deal: A cat named satanmechanic saw my youtube video and had the same issues w/ his Proclutch.. we corresponded back and forth a few times and he relpy's " I fixed it". All of the credit goes to him..not only did he help me out..HE MODIFIED SOME OF HIS OWN PARTS AND SHIPPED THEM TO ME FREE.

Its great to know there are still some real people left in this world and that good Karma comes back around!. I of course am gonna take care of him for his troubles and let his wife pick out something from my website.

Anyway heres the deal.
I am not "super wrench" (obviously) so bear with me on some of these terms.
The rivera clutch hub has splines..The first clutch steel to go in is .120" thick steel plate. It stops on the hub (due to a widening of the hub) before it touches the clutch basket. This space behind the first steel is responsible for the clutch pack never truely tightening up to the point where the plates stop rattling. Why its designed like this I don't know.

I measured the distance behind the first steel and the satanicmechanic modified a stock HD steel plate as well as an additional Rivera friction..The center hole needs to be opened up on a lathe in order for the plates to reach over the hub to the back of the basket. I will includes some pictures.

In my case one HD steel and one Rivera still allowed the noise to continue. He cut an additional HD steel sent it to me ..again free... and I reassembled the clutch as follows.The 2 modified HD steels first.Then the modified Rivera friction, then then what would normally be the first rivera steel(.120" ) and the rest of the clutch pack alternating friction /steel ...etc..

Started it up and....silence..just motor noise and some normal open primary noise while the lever is pulled in...NOW HERES THE DISCLAIMER!
We don't know what effect this will have in the long run..He's on the left coast and rides daily and reports no issues. He has a concern about the bearing failing prematurely but thats not definate and time will tell. I'd personnally rather replace the bearing if it should fail down the line to ride without that rattle can sound cutting into my otherwise enjoyable days out riding.

So I will post some follow up stuff to keep you all informed..but my riding season ends with temps in the 30's.. I know I'm a pussy to all you tuffguys on here..but its my choice and I'll be back riding in the early spring.

Last edited by Dragon; 12-05-2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Update for Tech files.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #81
Dragon

Default Re: Rivera Pro clutch diagnosis part1

Bumping part 1 for Tech files.
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #82
Dragon

Default Re: Rivera Pro Clutch Part 2

Bump for update to Tech files.
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote