Jockey Journal Forum banner

Blown Triumph Triple Chopper / Bar Hopper Build

63K views 323 replies 44 participants last post by  knuck39 
#1 ·
I've been waiting to get this build on it's way for far too long but working on another triple build has taken up most of my time.

I well be using a supercharger from a Mercedes SLK, I plan to remove the top cover and make my own better looking version.

I have an SU carb for this build and I will plan to leave the stainless intake pipework raw and bolted together with the star mounts.

So I finally got the engine mounted in the jig. I'm using the stock frame just to get the engine aligned and pitched right. Next is to weld some supports to maintain the engines position and then I will remove the stock frame and bin it and build the new frame around the engine.

I'm going to stick to the stock 30 degree rake and 1426 mm wheelbase to maintain some good handling. This is a bar hopper and I expect to ride it hard.

Things are progressing slower than I would like but sometimes life just gets in the way. Now I have digital readouts setup on my mill and lathe I can start the fun work of building, brackets, mounts and the axle plates and get the frame build under way.

Take a seat.

Cheers Dan.

See less See more
#4 ·
So I ditched the shitty frame now that I have the engine setup in the jig. There will be some work just with the blower and the engine before I build the frame so I can make sure I allow enough room.

The blower manifold was ugly and didn't really work for me so I set about making a new one. Here is the laser cut plate that I designed that the lid will fit to.

Next I designed a mounting plate for the blower to fix to the engine. This was also lasercut.

I'll update more as it progresses.

Cheers Dan.

#12 ·
hey, I was thinking, cause I've got a blower like this - solves intake port flow problems ,what boost do you think you can run ? add methanol up to 20% with petrol and acetone
Not sure about boost, a lot of this is experimental and I am doing research all the time. I will run a boost gauge and I'll run a blow valve also.

Mid 90s Bloor triple great power plant.
what you doing about cooling/radiator?
I was planning on having a custom rad made to match the lines of the frame down tubes.

ICE intercooler would be good
Now there's an idea! This thing just got serious! :D

Cheers Dan.

#18 ·
So I had a crazy thought the other day on my ride home. Everybody always runs these blowers either off the output shaft of the motor or the input shaft of the tranny. What would happen if you ran it off the output shaft of the tranny? I realize it would spin faster with each upward gear change , would boost go up to? If it did does that mean the jetting of the fuel would have to get fatter with each gear change?
Don't mean to high jack but there are people looking at this thread that may know

#21 ·
...What would happen if you ran it off the output shaft of the tranny?..
being that the output shaft is after gear reduction, each gear would spin the charger at a different RPM. matching fueling to this variable RPM ratio would be quite a challenge i would think. off the crank it's a constant ratio.

i'd like to see someone fit a Judson. :D

#23 ·
So some smart arse at Triumph decided to design some elongated intake ports into the head. I guess there is probably some performance benefit by doing this because it must be easier to work with a circle. Anyway, this gave me time to think how I was going to make this work with the round tubing that I have planned to use.

First I designed a intake plate to fit the Triumph head and had this also laser cut like some of my other parts I designed and had made. I made sure the port holes in the plate were the same circumference as the tubing I was using.

Then I got a work mate to mill out a piece of aluminium to the same size and shape of the port. The idea was to use this as a former for form the tubing. Before I cut it in half I drilled it so I could tap some studding in there so I could get it lined up easily without having to piss about while my hot tube goes cold. It formed the tube nice with no de-form.

Cheers Dan.

#28 ·
So some smart arse at Triumph decided to design some elongated intake ports into the head. I guess there is probably some performance benefit by doing this because it must be easier to work with a circle. Anyway, this gave me time to think how I was going to make this work with the round tubing that I have planned to use.

First I designed a intake plate to fit the Triumph head and had this also laser cut like some of my other parts I designed and had made. I made sure the port holes in the plate were the same circumference as the tubing I was using.

Then I got a work mate to mill out a piece of aluminium to the same size and shape of the port. The idea was to use this as a former for form the tubing. Before I cut it in half I drilled it so I could tap some studding in there so I could get it lined up easily without having to piss about while my hot tube goes cold. It formed the tube nice with no de-form.

Cheers Dan.
Ok, now you're just showing off :D... Seriously tho, nice Dan!

I'm curious why you wouldn't keep the injectors and just run a big throttle body instead of that SU. Tuning? You could build a really short 3-1 and easily tune for it then.

#30 ·
Thanks for the tip, I was going to bolt it to some plate to weld. That should work, right?

Thanks man :D

Real nice work Dan... be sure to take care when welding so it doesn't go off like a banana on you. A friend of mine has made several different intakes similar to this... he says he welds a short piece of pipe to the manifold, then machines it "flat" again while its still easy clamp down in the mill and then welds longer pipe to the short ones already welded on. Heat from welding doesn't warp then. Food for thought anyways.

Lester
Thanks Lester, I will take care when welding. I didn't know stainless was such a problem. Does it matter what grade? I mean do some grades weld better than others?

great ideas and work Dan
Thanks, this is the easy bit I think! It's going to get a whole lot harder before she's done.

Ok, now you're just showing off :D... Seriously tho, nice Dan!

I'm curious why you wouldn't keep the injectors and just run a big throttle body instead of that SU. Tuning? You could build a really short 3-1 and easily tune for it then.
Thanks man, I wanted to use a supercharger. Thats it. That's the reason why I didn't want to use the throttle bodies. It will be fun working out the tubing from carb to intake and hell I might even go for the suggested intercooler idea. This is a "because I can" build so it doesn't have to make sense but it sure has to be beefy and fun.

Cheers Dan.

#26 ·
Real nice work Dan... be sure to take care when welding so it doesn't go off like a banana on you. A friend of mine has made several different intakes similar to this... he says he welds a short piece of pipe to the manifold, then machines it "flat" again while its still easy clamp down in the mill and then welds longer pipe to the short ones already welded on. Heat from welding doesn't warp then. Food for thought anyways.

Lester

#31 ·
I decided to make my own axle plates up. I could have had these lasercut I suppose but I wanted to use 10mm plate and that is the max they can cut at my local shop.

Besides It's good to get on the mill and do some stuff myself.

The way I do things like this is to cad the design and then print it and glue it to the plate. I don't mill line for line but it gives me an idea I'm in the right place and what exactly I am making.

Cheers Dan.

#37 ·
Yes right, I aim at an old looking style and draw through was the most common back in the day. It the simplest and to me the best looking.
A blow through is more complicated but can be tuned in to run better and the cooler will gain some of the lost horses due to heat.

Since its not a vintage machine or not aiming at an vintage look i'd say go for fuel injection. Lower compression to 8:1 and give it some 20psi of boost. a modern four valve with intercooler will take it on 95octan fuel and make some serious power too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.