Jockey shift for ironhead pics? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Magneto349

Post Jockey shift for ironhead pics?

Trying to do some brainstorming on my Jockey shifter for my Ironhead, just curious if anyone else has some good pictures of how they did theirs?
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
rukwikenuf

Default Re: Jockey shift for ironhead pics?

i'm trying to come up with a way as well. mine's a '74
bash me if you will, but left-side brake just doesn't sit well in my mind. i'm keeping the mid controls, and can't come up with a way to hook the clutch cable to the controls. that cable has to come out the front of the primary cover, and it's really a wrench in the gears! i was thinking of a shift linkage through the brake cross-over tube and hand shifter would be behind my leg. some heim joints and creativity will do the trick for that, but the fucking clutch is killing me! i DON"T wanna run a clutch lever on the shifter, that's just gay......
Old 01-24-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Dirty Richard

about to have the same dilemma...trying to picture in my head how to go about doing this..someone heres gotta have some crafty ideas
Dirty Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
Oklahoma

Here is one I had a few years ago. I ran it thru the cross over and then ran a cable for the rear brake.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:32 AM   #5
Magneto349

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukwikenuf
i'm trying to come up with a way as well. mine's a '74
bash me if you will, but left-side brake just doesn't sit well in my mind. i'm keeping the mid controls, and can't come up with a way to hook the clutch cable to the controls. that cable has to come out the front of the primary cover, and it's really a wrench in the gears! i was thinking of a shift linkage through the brake cross-over tube and hand shifter would be behind my leg. some heim joints and creativity will do the trick for that, but the fucking clutch is killing me! i DON"T wanna run a clutch lever on the shifter, that's just gay......
I`ll look in my manual, but I think the tranys are the same as far as mechanical side of things, I think you could just convert it like the 75-76 are, they all shift from the right side then have a crossover shaft behind the trany so you shift on the left side. The brake is only mechanical, so just run the cable to the other side. If you have a manual cheack it out, I`ll look at mine tonight and see if I can come up with anything for you.

Nice pic, Thats about what I had in mind for a shifter, infact I think I`m going to use the old shifter lever and thread the top for a shifter knob.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
nutrocker

OK, this is how I did mine, I started by welding a turned ally cup into the clutch cover, then mounted the three ball and two plate set up from a Honda 400/4 (there are many others the same) clutch release, you know the type, the three balls are held in three dimples and when one plate is turned the balls rise from the dimples and move the plates apart.
Then make an arm that goes through the cover to the plate so when the arm is pulled forward the outer plate move and pushes the inner plate in to release the clutch. All you have to do then is make a cover plate to stop everything falling apart and conect the arm to the clutch pedel. Easy eh! LOL.

you're jealous cause the voices are talking to me!
nutrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
Sporticus

My hat's off to you. Beautiful work. I have a similar issue with a different bike, and I'll bring it up at the risk of hijacking. I'm planning to use a BSA box on my 45, but still want left side hand shift. I'm mounting a crossover tube to the tab where the clutch cable usually bolts. That tube will be bushed with a solid shaft running through it. A jockey shift lever will be welded onto the left end, but I need a way of having a removable arm on the right end, to which I'll attach a linkage to the stock shift lever. Okay - long winded intro over...

What is the best way of making a solid arm that is removable (so I can place the shaft in and out of the tube). Weld a shift-shaft spline onto my crossover shaft and use a stock shift lever? Run a pinch bolt, possibly right through crossover shaft?

Sometimes I can't explain my way out of a paper bag without drawing the damn thing. This also applies to the thread I'm highjacking, so my crime isn't all that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrocker
OK, this is how I did mine, I started by welding a turned ally cup into the clutch cover, then mounted the three ball and two plate set up from a Honda 400/4 (there are many others the same) clutch release, you know the type, the three balls are held in three dimples and when one plate is turned the balls rise from the dimples and move the plates apart.
Then make an arm that goes through the cover to the plate so when the arm is pulled forward the outer plate move and pushes the inner plate in to release the clutch. All you have to do then is make a cover plate to stop everything falling apart and conect the arm to the clutch pedel. Easy eh! LOL.

Sporticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #8
nutrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporticus
My hat's off to you. Beautiful work. I have a similar issue with a different bike, and I'll bring it up at the risk of hijacking. I'm planning to use a BSA box on my 45, but still want left side hand shift. I'm mounting a crossover tube to the tab where the clutch cable usually bolts. That tube will be bushed with a solid shaft running through it. A jockey shift lever will be welded onto the left end, but I need a way of having a removable arm on the right end, to which I'll attach a linkage to the stock shift lever. Okay - long winded intro over...

What is the best way of making a solid arm that is removable (so I can place the shaft in and out of the tube). Weld a shift-shaft spline onto my crossover shaft and use a stock shift lever? Run a pinch bolt, possibly right through crossover shaft?

Sometimes I can't explain my way out of a paper bag without drawing the damn thing. This also applies to the thread I'm highjacking, so my crime isn't all that bad.
Iron heads had a cross over with a spline on one end and a plate welded on the other. You can cut down the plate to something thats nicely shaped and use a iron head rear brake lever for the matching splines and cut and weld to whatever shift arm.

you're jealous cause the voices are talking to me!
nutrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
Dan

I left my clutch on the handlebars on just built a shift arm for the right side, I know that is not a true "jockey shift" if you want a foot clutch but it worked on mine - its fun to ride that way...

sorry, just realized you can hardly see the shift arm in that pic...
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
Trent
Atomic Custom

Send a message via Yahoo to Trent

Personally. I think jockey shifted XL's, Triumphs, Jappers, etc.. look like shit.

I would leave it foot shift.

Atomic Custom Blog!
Atomic Custom Website
http://instagram.com/atomictrent/

"Custom parts are good only when they're cooler than factory parts. By cooler I mean have better lines, work better, etc."
Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
Dan

but mine has a really rockasilly dice shift ball haha - your right most times they dont look right (mine included) but it is fun to ride that way - kinda like mopeds and fat girls...
Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
jarod7736

Send a message via AIM to jarod7736 Send a message via Yahoo to jarod7736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent
Personally. I think jockey shifted XL's, Triumphs, Jappers, etc.. look like shit.

I would leave it foot shift.
Any particular reason why? I'm up in the air right now as to whether I jockey shift my 74, or leave it. Yesterday, i said leave it, today the hand shifter looks bitchin.

I realize no Sportster ever came stock with the jockey shift/foot clutch, but a lot of shit we do never came stock on these bikes.

jarod7736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
Trent
Atomic Custom

Send a message via Yahoo to Trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarod7736
Any particular reason why?
I just think they look clumsy and out of place. Even the really well thought out and engineered ones just seem to look off. This is just my opinion, so all you jockey shifting xl, brit, and jap guys dont get all huffy.

I like my sport bikes to be sporty. Shifting by hand isnt sporty.

Atomic Custom Blog!
Atomic Custom Website
http://instagram.com/atomictrent/

"Custom parts are good only when they're cooler than factory parts. By cooler I mean have better lines, work better, etc."
Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #14
jarod7736

Send a message via AIM to jarod7736 Send a message via Yahoo to jarod7736

No huffy, just curious. I'm trying for simplicity in this area on mine. I think it may stay goofy foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent
I just think they look clumsy and out of place. Even the really well thought out and engineered ones just seem to look off. This is just my opinion, so all you jockey shifting xl, brit, and jap guys dont get all huffy.

I like my sport bikes to be sporty. Shifting by hand isnt sporty.

jarod7736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #15
Dan

I think the aesthetics of a short shift arm coming off a ratchet top and clean handlebars just looks better than the long spindly shifters usually used on the sportys (I guess I basically just repeated what Trent said...) my sporty is all f'd asethically, I gotta find the right combo on that one still...
Old 01-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #16
Magneto349

Thats part of the reason I put this post up, to see what others have come up with. I look at it and it does look a little goofy, but I got some ideas floating around that I can do to make it look like something decent. I seen that bike "Trick" Chica did, and it had a jockey shift and it just looked stupid with a long ass shift arm reaching up next to the seat. I`ll see what happens when its finished.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #17
Joey-D
Banned

Nutrocker, do you have any more pictures from when you made your foot clutch? I am trying to visualize what you did. I have a 76 primary and tranny I am trying to do a mid control foot clutch on. This would be perfect. I started a thread about over here...
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=65084
Joey-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #18
TheManInBlack

I agree with Trent, looks bad on any unit machine.
TheManInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #19
1sick7

1sick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 AM   #20
ironhead bobber

1sick....I'd love to see more pics of the detail on that motor....
sorry for the hijack
ironhead bobber is offline   Reply With Quote