Arc Welding 101. - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > The Archives > Tech Archives

Old 01-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
Mark Tore

Default Arc Welding 101.

Just got home from my second class of Arc Welding 1. I have to say I am hooked; I am going to call tomorrow to get in Arc 2 which is starting 3 weeks after Arc 1 is over....

Here are some pics!

These are using 1/8" - 6011 wire at 90 to 100 amps on 1/4" steel.

Mark Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AW_Photo1..JPG
Views:	1280
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	12860   Click image for larger version

Name:	AW_Photo2..JPG
Views:	1251
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	12861  

Last edited by Mark Tore; 01-11-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Mark Tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
wild one

Default Re: Arc Welding 101.

looks good
wild one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
OsOdeDIABLO

arc welding with wire, huh?i know its been a while since i've been to welding school, but thats a new one.i think you mean "6011 rod"its cool thats your taking welding class, ounce your hooked, thats it.i took 4 years in high school, refresher 6 years ago.been welding and fabin since.have fun, make sure your hood is down before you strike that arc. -jimmy-
Old 01-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
Tony Bones
Tiny Member

I'd like to understand something and am not trying to be a jerk asking this:

Why would you take an Arc welding class?

Wirefeed welders are affordable and good for sheetmetal tacking and frame stuff and torches are still widely regarded by metal shaping craftsmen and super custom exhaust guys as the "right" tool for the job. Torches can also be used for welding tabs to frames and if you're really good, thick things like motor mounts and brake anchoring plates...but that puts a lot of heat into the metal.

Again, I'm just curious. It just seems that about all ARC welding is used for in production facilities these days is marine/ship building situations where the conditions are extreme and there's lots of crud on the metal that needs to be burnt away. I'm sure there's tons of other industrial situations and I know they're still widely used on farms.

Regardless, anyone taking a welding class deserved a high five.
Tony Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
Gazza

Looks good!! I agree a little with Tony, but I hated stick welding when I took it in school, it seemed like the messiest most brute force technique we learned. But ya know WTF, who cares what other people prefer... I think it's great that your taking the time to learn how to do it from a teacher rather than beat your head against the wall trying to teach yourself. Good luck and enjoy the course!

Gazza
Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
halwade

Send a message via Yahoo to halwade

I've been teaching myself to TIG weld thin-walled mild steel and chromoly. no watter what size rod I use or what amperage I set my machine to, my strong. solid welds look like fillet brazing. It's been that way for four weeks...

then I laid down my "epiphany weld" and it all came together:

you gently roll the pedal on then roll it off after adding the material.

having a good helmet helped, too.

I'm still not even close to the quasi real deal, but it's the most challenging and rewarding voodoo I've undertaken since trying to learn german in high school.

If there was a VoTech in the neighborhood I'd take a night class in a heartbeat.

kudos my friend, and ARC your ass off...
halwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
Billdozer1811
Banned

Good for you, dude, no matter what style you are learning. I've been steadily melting crap together for the last week or so after aquiring a decent 220 MIG unit and it is super fun. Not to hijack here, but, I think I've got the basics down, but I bet I'm teaching myself bad habits. Anyone know of the definitive welding manual that a regular joe can understand, like a "For Dummies" book or something? I'd love to have a simple shop guide to go to once in a while. So far the best thing I've learned from is the super simple instruction manual that came with my old booger-thrower flux core welder.
Billdozer1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #8
Ea$y

Learn it all! learn what works best for each application and MASTER that shit.Never stop learning to better yourself...ARC welding isnt on the roster at the JC's here anymore and its a shame..
Old 01-12-2007, 01:16 AM   #9
Dirty Richard

I would agree with Easy.. I was thankful for having it under my belt when I realized that to weld stainless "right" I needed tri-mix..which I wasn't gonna buy a 180$ bottle for a sissy bar and shifter...so out came the old miller and some 316 electrodes! I could never arc weld worth a crap without an automatic helmet though...I could get an arc anyplace but where I needed it though!

Last edited by Dirty Richard; 01-12-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Dirty Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:46 AM   #10
Kyle

Billdozer, arent you in the Navy? Transfer to HT, who needs a book!
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #11
Mark Tore

Thanks Everyone!

As far as Arc VS Mig and Tig Classes; at this school you must take Arc 1 than 2 and than Mig & Tig; they wont let you go any other way. I am happy though, I want to learn as much as I can starting with the basics.

I am looking forward to using the 7018 electrodes, my teacher says you can get a super clean weld almost along the lines of Mig and Tig.

Another thing I want to share was in the first class we were practicing beeds straight through. In the second he showed me at whipping method when you almost break the arc while layering the puddle. This made it alot easier to control the puddle and makes it possible to control the tightness of the beed.

I will get more pics next Tuesday!

Mark Tore.

Last edited by Mark Tore; 01-12-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #12
flattracklarry

Good for you. Better to learn the right way.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #13
scraper

mark - where are you taking the classes? i think the county college in my area offers a course. i was thinking about going. are the classes expensive? will you be a certified weldor when youre through? do they show you any other metal fab techniques (sheetmetal, tube bending, etc.)

i took 3 years of metal fab in high school & learned the basics on arc, mig & gas welding. i have a flux core mig now & i used it for making a bunch of stuff for my bike but id like to get a real mig w/ gas someday (mine isnt convertable).

PM me if you want.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
Creepinogie

You guys are so lucky to have a school that teaches that stuff. Arc welding is one of the basic skills needed int eh construction industry. Piling, smooth wall steel pipe, structural elements, etc. are all stick welded. If you can get certified in the G6 position, you can make big bucks. Don't let anyone steer you away from stick welding. Mig and Tig is for guys in clean shops but good old arc welding is the real world.
Creepinogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
KnuckleBuster

I took a "Continuing Education" welding class at BOCES last year. The instructor spent nearly half the length of the class on ARC welding. We then moved on to torch, MIG and TIG.

I think ARC is great to learn, because if you can master that, you'll have a very easy time learning the others. It seems to me to be the hardest to learn (although I still cant TIG for shit).

Billdozer - I'll throw you an email later this weekend about a couple of welding books and about that logo - looks great by the way!

Jay

- General George S. Patton, Jr.
KnuckleBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #16
Mark Tore

Scraper...PM Sent...
Old 01-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #17
Sporticus

My 45 frame was raked in proper "period" fashion when I got it, which is a nice way of saying it looked like shit. The guy who de-raked it for me is a retired welder who spent his career at Electric Boat welding up nuclear subs. I cut out the patch job on the head casting, and he stick-welded it back together - doing an amazing job. He scoffed and grunted when I suggested his equipment wasn't all that sophisticated.
Sporticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #18
midwest harley

Damn those are some good looking beads for the first time through some out, especially with an arc. The jc around here that offers welding courses makes you take a class on torch and Arc before you can move on, and I think that helps out later on. I've taken a few classes, and starting another here soon. Just be careful, once you realize how much you can make once you learn to weld, you'll be hooked.
midwest harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #19
pilsner1x

looks good my uncle was a vocational high school teacher and taught me and my brother how to weld "arc" "mig" and "tig" gave us some good advice learn it well and you'll never be out of a job because somewhere they're gonna need a welder. and not only that it helps also when you need something done for yourself and dont have to rely on someone else keep it up its worth it..
pilsner1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:39 AM   #20
flatheadmalc

When I took welding back in the day I had to take oxy-acet, arc, tig, then mig and some carbon arc torch work in there too. Carbon arc torch is cool, makes lots a noise blows sparks and slag everywhere. Anyway point of this is that like anything its good to learn in stages with a good foundation. I stil like to gas weld and braze too. Like watching the brass flow.
flatheadmalc is offline   Reply With Quote