What size braided stainless oil/fuel lines - AN6 vs 3/8" ? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-11-2006, 03:32 AM   #1
Jim1203

Default What size braided stainless oil/fuel lines - AN6 vs 3/8" ?

Sorry for all the long questions... I'm looking at a few braided stainless hose manufacturers and I don't understand exactly what would be best to go with on an 96" S&S Evo engine. There's a Russell kit where you cut the 3/8 braided stainless to length and then use hose clamps. The Russell line is reinforced rubber with a stainless braid around it. I was looking at some others like Goodridge that use teflon or Earls that use synthetic rubber.

First, what's the difference between teflon and rubber? Will I notice it on the street? Seems like they can make the non rubber lines with a thinner wall.

Anyway, for oil, I currently have a 3/8 oil line. The Russell stuff is ID 3/8 (.375) and OD 5/8 (.625). A lot of lines are only measured in AN though. For example, Earls AN6 is ID .34375 and OD is .546875. The OD is smaller which is great because some of the pipes coming out of the tank are really close together. But should I be worried about the reduced ID? Will .03125 make a difference?

Same thing with the fuel lines. For 5/16 fuel lines... I thought the closest AN measurement would be AN5. But Earls AN5 line has an ID of .25 instead of 5/16 (.3125). Will the .0625 make a difference?
http://www.holley.com/types/Auto-Flex%20Hose.asp

Finally, anyone ever use Earls Tube-mate fittings? Supposed to be for attaching hoses to tubes. The tubes are supposed to be flared or grooved. I was wondering if this would work with your standard pipe barb fitting common on a lot of stock oil tanks?
http://www.holley.com/360106ERL.asp

Thanks,
Jim
Jim1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
rukwikenuf

Default Re: What size braided stainless oil/fuel lines - AN6 vs 3/8" ?

i don't know shit about oil lines, but there was a pretty solid write-up in the current Horse issue. Matt D did his tech article on braided oil lines, i think he used Russell products.
all i know is that they look good..................
Old 12-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Jim1203

Good call on the Horse article. But I was hoping to get some specifics that aren't in the article. He uses Earls... but there are no specifics on the sizes for oil or fuel. The article lists the difference of some Earls braided line... but nothing that I couldn't find on Earls website. When would I use teflon over rubber? There are some parts on my bike with the barbed pipe type hose fitting and it would be too expensive to replace it just to be able to use a screw in 1/8 NPT or AN fitting... so can I use Earls Tube-mate on that?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
slacker1965

First, what's the difference between teflon and rubber? Will I notice it on the street? Seems like they can make the non rubber lines with a thinner wall.

we normally use the teflon lines for brake & clutch lines on our cup cars, but have used teflon lines for fuel pressure guages...some race fuels(sunoco for ex) will harden the rubber lines in short order....had some fuel lines harden & leak in less than a year!!! haven't spoke with any reps to see if they like fuel or oil ran thru the teflon stuff.....

Anyway, for oil, I currently have a 3/8 oil line. The Russell stuff is ID 3/8 (.375) and OD 5/8 (.625). A lot of lines are only measured in AN though. For example, Earls AN6 is ID .34375 and OD is .546875. The OD is smaller which is great because some of the pipes coming out of the tank are really close together. But should I be worried about the reduced ID? Will .03125 make a difference?

everyone seems to make their AN stuff a little different than their competitors...best to stick with one mfg. per hose & end pair...you can mix & match them with the rubber hose based stuff, but for the teflon lined hose I wouldn't.....the fittings (like a 1/8npt to AN6 barb)seem to be more consistant so you can mix them.....bottom line is if you are going new just pick someones line & go with it...if you are using used stuff(like we end up doing with race cars) try to keep the hose & end seperate to a mfg......

Same thing with the fuel lines. For 5/16 fuel lines... I thought the closest AN measurement would be AN5. But Earls AN5 line has an ID of .25 instead of 5/16 (.3125). Will the .0625 make a difference?
http://www.holley.com/types/Auto-Flex%20Hose.asp

Finally, anyone ever use Earls Tube-mate fittings? Supposed to be for attaching hoses to tubes. The tubes are supposed to be flared or grooved. I was wondering if this would work with your standard pipe barb fitting common on a lot of stock oil tanks?
http://www.holley.com/360106ERL.asp

don't know how well the id's match up to a common barb....the line end is just a cheezy looking fake fitting with a hose clamp, so you aren't really gaining anything over using a hose clamp....you can just use a piece of shrink wrap to keep the ss from fraying & use a hose clamp if you want, or use their fitting & clock it so you can't see the screw end.....

you didn't mention some other hose types like cloth covered(won't scratch up your chrome), seen it in blue & black...& hyd hoses from an outfit like parker in either plain or ss covered....I think someone even makes some of the stuff with a clear plastic covering so it doesn't scratch up the stuff around it....most(ok all) of my experience is plumbing up cup cars so maybe someone else has something to add...
l8r,
slacker
slacker1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
Jim1203

Thanks Slacker! Good to know from someone who has used/seen the stuff! I appreciate it.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
Jim1203

Guess this is common knowledge for most... but wasn't for me. 6AN hose will not fit on nipples made for 3/8" hose. Too small. Just means I have to take my time and do it the right way with the right fittings. Which is probably better in the long run.

Thanks,
Jim