Danny Franssen... - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
Conder

Default Danny Franssen...

A friend of mine from Belgium just sent me some pictures of his recent project. I've known Danny since my panhead came out in easyriders back in '97. You may have seen his work, it was in Iron Horse during the Snow era.

He's done some amazing motorcycles, including a three wheeler that (in my opinion) is the best one ever built. Lately he's been perfecting the transformation of softails to Bobbers, this being his latest. Apparantly this is a good way to get around all the laws in parts of europe controlling the modification of stock machinery.

He's a king for sure. If anybody has any pictures of his trike or the stuff from Iron Horse post 'em up. He ran a shop called Back 2 Basics in the L.A. area for a while in the early '90s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg
Views:	2581
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	2712
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1355   Click image for larger version

Name:	ronnyBobber001.jpg
Views:	4728
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1356  

Name:	hd-055.jpg
Views:	3457
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1357   Click image for larger version

Name:	hd-056.jpg
Views:	3577
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1358  

Last edited by Conder; 08-13-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Conder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2005, 03:40 PM   #2
Knukkel

Default Re: Danny Franssen...

You mean this one?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trike1.jpg
Views:	3654
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1359   Click image for larger version

Name:	trike2.jpg
Views:	1689
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1360   Click image for larger version

Name:	trike3.jpg
Views:	2931
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1361  

Knukkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
Conder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knukkel
You mean this one?
YEAH! When did he build that? Like '96 or so?

Old 08-13-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
Knukkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conder
YEAH! When did he build that? Like '96 or so?
Yup, that was '96.
I think have an old Dutch magagazine with an article about it... I'll see if I can find it and make some scans.
Knukkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:04 PM   #5
TheFrenZ

The frame of the three wheeler was built by Anders Johansson from Sweden who also built my frame to my specs.I've got an english mag which features the trike and also shows some design sketches.Conder,let's trade.I'll scan the article and post it here and you gonna post a close-up pic which shows the pinstripes on Silver Bullet's gas tank...
TheFrenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
Conder

Deal, I'll have to send 'em to you in e-mail and you can post them. My photoshop is down and my IPhoto files are too big to post. That trike frame is the SHIZAH. You have one too?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3906.JPG
Views:	1116
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3903.JPG.jpg
Views:	1080
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3904.JPG.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1369  

Name:	IMG_3905.JPG.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3901.JPG
Views:	1453
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1371  

Last edited by Conder; 08-14-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:23 AM   #7
Flyin' Dutchman

I've seen that trike at the Essen motorshow back then... Nice work!
Old 08-14-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
Nelson

Quote:
A friend of mine from Belgium just sent me some pictures of his recent project. I've known Danny since my panhead came out in easyriders back in '97. You may have seen his work, it was in Iron Horse during the Snow era.
Tim - I remember that article very well. After I read what you posted, I was about to reply "hey! that was the guy with the matching Evo's!" until I scrolled down to see you posted the two bikes.

He's got real good taste. You can even see it in that Softail for sure.

-Nelson
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #9
TheFrenZ

Quote:
Deal.
Thanks ! I can't tell you how much I like these stripes,especially the grimace,too cool...never saw the ones on the fender though.You got any of those too ?

Here's the scanned article.Low buck scanner-low quality pics,sorry.No,I don't have a three wheeler.Anders built the frame of my Panhead Chopper and just like Danny seems to have,mailed him my drawings etc. to Sweden and six weeks later my imagination became reality.Anders is no longer in business.He's now living in South America...at least this was the last thing I heard...

Old 08-14-2005, 12:29 PM   #10
TheFrenZ

More...

I will try to post the rest of the article later as the upload time on imageshack is too damn long in the moment...

Last edited by TheFrenZ; 08-14-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #11
TheFrenZ

It seems to work again...

Maurice,I also saw this three wheeler at the Essen Motor Show some years ago...sadly, the show has become very,very lame.They always invite some bikes/owners which received attention in Daytona early the year.Some years ago there were some really cool bikes and it always was a blast to go there but meanwhile they only invite "mass-compatible" things on two wheels...

I always visit the show on the last day as some people fire up their engines and drive the bikes outside but they don't do it anymore...too bad...One of the things I always remember is "Bandit" firing up his "Dicey Knuckle" ( which already had Apes and 21" front wheel at that time) and slowly driving it outside of the building.Honestly,I never heard another Knuckle sounding so sweet...beautiful.

Another glorious moment was when Dave Royal or Ernst Paulsen ( not sure which guy it was) started the "Brass Knuckle" and drove it outside...I NEVER will forget that and I wish I would have some pics...what a blast...what a bike...what an experience to see,hear and feel such a bike here in Germany on a cold and dark Sunday evening right in the middle of December...

Old 08-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #12
Conder

Awesome article! The pinstriping on my pan was done (twice) by my hero Donn Trethewey. He striped it in red and white first but my fingerprints rusted under the clear so he striped it again for me when the bike went to Oakland. I met Treth when I first came to live in seattle in '89. I took the bus to Dewey's cycle shop to check out the british bikes they had for sale. Donn was in the back striping a perfectly restored 650 Gold star. We hit it off and after I got rolling with my shop I hired him to do striping. I didn't learn how to paint until late '93, and I still can't stripe like him. (Not even close) He was the only guy I ever met who was doing Dutch style striping, and I had worked for Ed Roth and Rod Powell before. He actually hadn't done it since the '60s he said, and loved striping the stuff at my shop. NOBODY in seattle did monsters, chicks, rockets etc in pinstriping at that time.

Thing was, he not only did Dutch style striping, but he had a much cleaner approach to it. Minimal strokes with a great eye for color and design. He loved Dutch, actually met him and used to cruise a pre-unit Triumph in So-Cal in the '60s. He's too humble to post anything anywhere and isn't big on promotion, lives on bananas and seltzer water and is about 66 years old. He looks 45. His career consisted of mainly Graphic Design from private customers to Union Bay.

He's the living blueprint of who I want to be.....fearless journeyman artist at the top of his game, still gets laid more than most young guys I know and owns a badass, street legal, Hindahl framed flat track Triumph. YESSIR.

I've got lots of pics of my back fender but the scanners down, There's a cool rabbit down by the tranny and a couple more monsters.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Treth.jpg
Views:	1185
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1381  
Old 08-14-2005, 08:43 PM   #13
TheFrenZ

Talking Re: Danny Franssen...

Ladies an Gentlemen.I have the pleasure to introduce the man himself.Please give it up for Mr. Danny Franssen ! Welcome to the board !
Old 08-14-2005, 08:57 PM   #14
Danny F.

Post Re: Danny Franssen...

Quote:

He's done some amazing motorcycles, including a three wheeler that (in my opinion) is the best one ever built. Lately he's been perfecting the transformation of softails to Bobbers, this being his latest. Apparantly this is a good way to get around all the laws in parts of europe controlling the modification of stock machinery.

He's a king for sure. If anybody has any pictures of his trike or the stuff from Iron Horse post 'em up. He ran a shop called Back 2 Basics in the L.A. area for a while in the early '90s.
Hey Tim ! Great to see a couple of my bikes trough you on this forum man ! Just for the record,I never ran a shop during my stay in LA from 91 to 93, not even now overhere in Belgium, I have this "out of control hobby" thing still going on...scary..."Back 2 Basics" was the title for that Iron Horse article I came up with myself since they were in some way 2 matching bikes, and yes...kinda "basic" ! Take it easy ! Dan.
Danny F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #15
TheFrenZ

Quote:
Monsters, chicks, rockets. There's a cool rabbit down by the tranny and a couple more monsters...
I'm dying to see those...I never wanted to see a damn rabbit that bad like I do want now !
Old 08-14-2005, 11:22 PM   #16
Conder

Howdy Dan, sorry about the fictitious shop....You should start one.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #17
Django

I really really dig those two blue/black bikes. Bravo.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #18
Danny F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django
I really really dig those two blue/black bikes. Bravo.
Hey Django, thanks man ! I builded the greenish-black (springer) bike during my stay in the San Bernardino (LA) mountains (91-93) I ordered that repro Evo casting hardtail frame from Sweden at that time, together with the 15x5" rear rim, these items were unknown at that time in the US... I also started building the blue-black scoot overthere also about the same time,and finished it when I arrived back in Belgium..that repro casting frame (blue-black bike) was intended for a shovel engine, I redid the center post to fit a Evo,what a difference in overall height around the seating area...when you see these bikes parked side by side you really notice the difference ! I did an almost similar styled Evo hardtail bob-chop in '91, repro casting frame but with 2" stretch in downtubes with a 8" over FL glide...

Last edited by Danny F.; 01-30-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Danny F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:27 AM   #19
TheFrenZ

Danny mailed me some pics of his Evo Bobber and here they are.High quality bike with lots of tricks and high quality pics.These pics were actually three times the size they are now and really,the quality is outstanding.I let Danny do the talking so I better shut up now...enjoy the bike !

Old 08-17-2005, 10:30 AM   #20
TheFrenZ