Jockey Journal Forum banner

Removing fork legs, Triumph

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  robert s. 
#1 ·
1970 Triumph T100C / Trophy 500

I want to remove both fork legs and take the entire fork leg assemblies to shop for rebuild. I doubt if the forks have ever been removed.

I've read a lot about the special puller that's available to install the fork legs when reassembling, to properly seat in the tapered top fork clamp. But I can't find much about how to disassemble, i.e., extract them from the clamp.

The manual says there's a factory tool (not available) or use an old fork cover cap and whack it with a mallet to try to knock loose and hope for the best. I don't have an old cover and don't want to mar or damage anything in the disassembly process.

Any advice?

Thanks

#2 ·
Removing the forks is relatively easy compared to installing them. Remove the front wheel, axle, fender, brake cables etc, unscrew the large fork tube nuts atop the top yoke and then loosen the pinch bolts on the lower yoke and then pull and twist each fork tube out. The tension of the spring will help to push the forks down and out. There may be a bit of corrosion or rust where the tube was held by the lower yoke, spray with PB Blast, oil, WD40 or whatever you have.

Reinstallation is much easier with the proper service tool to pull the fork up against the tension of the spring. If you do not have the proper service tool, place both tubes into the lower yoke with the axle threaded through the lower slider. Use a ratcheting compression strap around the axle up to the fork yokes (trees) to pull the fork tubes up into the top yoke, replace the top fork nuts and washers, tighten the pinch bolts on the lower yoke and then remove the strap.

#4 ·
Robert,

Are you trying to keep the triple tree mounted to the bike or do you want those to come off as well ?

I find it easier to take the whole thing off the bike and disassemble from there.

But, it can be done MANY ways and I have done it MANY ways. Just let me know what you are thinking about and we'll go from there.

1970 Triumph T100C / Trophy 500

I want to remove both fork legs and take the entire fork leg assemblies to shop for rebuild. I doubt if the forks have ever been removed.

Any advice?

Thanks

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. T100C fork legs successfully removed and rebuilt. Am going to fabricate an installation tool from an old fork cap, drilled for a threaded rod so I can use as a puller. That should work?

#6 ·
Yeah that should work fine. Just be sure the rod doesn't turn in the cap as you torque on it.

I cut the top off an old cap and used some washers/nuts on 3/8" rod to do the pulling.

Cut some grooves into the cap so I can unscrew it after the tubes are pulled up tight.

#7 ·
Thanks all for the advice and the pic of the fabricated installation tool. My tin ware is at the painter and once the fork covers are back we'll install the fork legs. I'll make a puller tool as in the pic out of an old fork cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.