Jockey Journal Forum banner

Remote Oil Filters Designed For Motorcycles

45K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  Nottso 
#1 · (Edited)
Please look through the entire thread. I've added many new parts and new fittings. I'm still holding prices at the current levels but can't say for how long. They will have to go up sometime in the not too distant future.

You must have at least 50 posts on the JJ to qualify for any discounts. If you've been here long term but don't post much get in touch and we'll talk about it.

CNC Machined from 6061-T6 Billet Aluminum, brushed or polished, weld-on or bolt-on, 1/4" or 3/8" fittings in straight or 90° (please specify fittings on order). All kits come with stainless screws shown to mount the filter adapter to the bracket and bolt-on kits include stainless mounting hardware shown.

Filter adapter is only 3" od x 1" thick. "Top-down" mounting allows for use in very tight spaces.

Weld-on bracket, brushed finish- retail $54.99, JJ Member with 50 posts $44.99 + actual shipping

Weld-on bracket, polished finish- retail $69.99, JJ Member with 50 posts $59.99 + actual shipping

Bolt-on bracket, brushed finish- retail $64.99, JJ Member with 50 posts$54.99 + actual shipping

Bolt-on bracket, polished finish- retail $79.99, JJ Member with 50 posts $69.99 + actual shipping

This last pic is for size comparison. The beer is a standard 12 ounce can. The automotive type filter mount is shown with the ever-popular Fram PH8A. Our filter mount is shown with a stock H-D filter.

All kits use standard 3/4-16 filter nipple and 2.75" o-ring (stock Harley, Ford, Chrysler, Imports, etc). Filters pictured for reference only and are not included.See below for filter info.

Shipping: We ship everything domestic via USPS Priority Mail and International packages go by USPS Priority Mail International. The package will weigh 2 pounds and ship from Zip Code 53181.

PayPal is preferred but Postal Money Orders will also work.

Please feel free to PM if you have any questions at all.

We also have kits to remote mount the filter on your FXR's and '93 - '08 Touring Bikes. For those kits, please visit www.mooresensible.com. JJ members will also get 20% off those prices if bought through here.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
UPDATE- I now have the necessary fittings for the spin-on adapters and they'll be included at the same price. New pics are all the way at the bottom.

If your bike already incorporates a spin-on filter and you want to relocate it you'll need a spin-on adapter in place of the stock filter. I stock the one shown below, from Derale Cooling Products. It has a 3/4-16 filter nipple (fits 90% of everything out there), is made in the USA and is a bright diecast aluminum finish.

Jegs gets $19.99 for these and theirs doesn't come with the $8 - $10 worth of brass fittings that you'll need. I now have the fittings in stock and they'll be included. With fittings, we get $24.99 for these but JJ members get 20% off, making your price $19.99. If you're buying one of our Remote Oil Filter Kits this will ship in the same box so your shipping cost won't go up any at all.

Filters

A lot of guys have asked for filter recommendations. We like Harley-Davidson's new Super Premium filter or aftermarket equivalents for the following reasons (part numbers will appear at the bottom).

When H-D introduced the Twin Cam motor they also introduced their 5 micron filter intended for use on the supply side of Twin Cam motors. A lot of people tried those filters on earlier bikes where the filter is located on the return side and the results were not good. Those early TC filters were too restrictive to run on the return side of earlier bikes and caused wet-sumping in many cases.

The new Super Premium filters were designed for, and work on, all of them. They filter down to 5 microns, but are free-flowing enough to run on the earlier stuff. They flow 7 -9 GPM and do have an anti-drainback valve. They also incorporate an 8 PSI bypass. This doesn't mean that they will bypass if your bike makes more than 8 PSI oil pressure. This means that they will bypass if there is 8 pounds or greater of pressure drop across the filter, meaning the filter is becoming clogged.

The aftermarket equivalents must meet all the same criteria to be listed as a replacement for the oem filter. That doesn't necessarily mean they are or are not of the same quality, just that they meet H-D's specs outlined above.

Part numbers:
Chrome
H-D 63798-99A
WIX 57348

Black
H-D 63731-99A
WIX 57148

Sorry for the long read. I just want to give you guys as much pertinent information as I possibly can.

G
#5 ·
I give up.....:p

Been on the hunt for a S&S oil filter that they made back in the 60's...
Had fins on it and a cartridge that was replaceable...
Had one that I found at a Swap Meet...Stuck it in a lathe and cleaned up the casting....But it seemed to grow feet ....
Been on the hunt again for a few years....

But with this being a spin on would be alot more user friendly ....

I like it....Will be saving up for one....:)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

#11 · (Edited)
Update:
My waterjet folks delivered on time, as usual. I have everything shown above, on hand and ready to ship. Thanks for your patience.

Shipping:
I can fit this stuff in a smaller box than the Medium Flat Rate Box and save you a few bucks. Check with me before sending any money please. I've always hated the asshats that stick it to a guy on shipping, and don't intend to be one of them. So don't make me. Take the savings and like it. Or else.

#14 ·
You may have been the first one here to score on the free Jelly Bellies. I honestly can't remember if jagonh did or not. The Jelly Belly factory is just down the road, so this is our very small part in keeping friends & neighbors employed. Well, that and blatant ass-kissing.

#17 ·
The truth is, the jelly beans will go to everybody, but we just started doing it. It's just a nice little thank you to our customers. Anybody that didn't get the jelly beans just happened to order before we started sending them. I'm glad you guys like 'em.

#18 ·
Note to International buyers:

The US Postal Service has discontinued First Class Mail International Parcel as an online option. The least expensive online option now is Priority Mail International. It will be quicker, but it is also more expensive.

Examples: First Class to Canada was $8. Priority is $25.
First class to Finland was $19. Priority is $37.

I'm very sorry, but it's not my doing; it's the Postal Service.

#19 ·
Please Note: Prices have gone up slightly. As this thing has picked up steam I've had to farm out more of the work and that of course means more money. I kind of work for free, but these other guys just won't do it.

Also, you must have at least 50 posts on the JJ to qualify for any discounts. If you've been here long term but don't post much get in touch and we'll talk about it. No more joining the JJ and asking for a discount before even posting once.

#21 ·
Looks really good! But the "bracket" looks a little bit like a scallop/tribal, witch gives it a not so clean look, but hey, I don't need a oil-filter, my oil don't last that long in the engine since i drive a Triumph, it kinda get replaced before there is something to filter away..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.