Jockey Journal Forum banner

RIP Doug "Dragon". Ride free Brother.

172K views 491 replies 429 participants last post by  govmule84 
#1 ·
Englishman just posted on The Horse board that Doug has left us. I know that some here had problems with him, and some just liked to poke at him from time to time, but I'd like to believe that everyone respected him and his efforts to keep us in line here. I did several deals with him and had quite a few off board conversations, and I've never dealt with a more upstanding individual.

Looks like his pain is finally gone,

Ride free, Brother,
Ride free.

#457 ·
RIP Doug, your steady hand is missed.

#461 ·
I have not been on the board in some time. I think it was before Doug's passing.

I knew Dragon, better than some, not as well as others, but I did indeed have the privilege of staying in his home. I was honored with being able to see his passion for motorcycles first hand. He was a highly intelligent git, and had no issue with sharing information, parts, and directing any one here to someone who could help them if he knew of someone.

While Doug was somewhat reclusive in real life, if youo had the chance of meeting him in person he was as good as gold and happy to help you in any way he could. he had a big soft spot for those who struggled with money to complete their machines, and as many have seen, would send parts to the unknowing if he thought theywould help. he was as interested in the people he helped as he was in seeing one more old bike put back to life. The way he saw it, no one should be without a motorcycle if they really want one, and no bike should go to the scrap heap.

He had a HUGE soft spot for those who proudly serve this country. If you were man or woman enough to sign the line and wear the uniform of service to this country, he was man enough to say thank you and pay you the due respect and honor you so justly deserve. I think he took it personally every time he read of a man or woman killed in service.

I was doing as much business as I could with him, trying to buy some of the bikes from him that he knew he would never finish due to his declining health. I have a nice sordid collection of bikes and parts that came from him that will provide me with projects from now till doomsday. If I could have bought all he had I would have. He had an eye for the good stuff....

I referred to him as brother on this board and others, and treated him as though he was family when in his presence. I would give anything to have him back, and offered to move him in with me and take care of him on many occassions before he passed. I think had he not been responsible for his mother that he would have taken one of the souls who offered to take him in up on the offer.

I may never have my brother back, but I do have many possessions of his that were close to his heart. I even managed to get "Homie", who will eventually become head of my complaint department. "Homie" was Dragons target practice mannequin. A headless, armless department store mannequin that Doug had decked out like a thug and tied to a tree in his back yard for target practice.

I know that Dragon is some place much better than this world. While I am an agnostic, I have to believe that there is some place on the other end of this wretched life.

Ride Forever Free Douglas Dubois Drake aka "Dragon"! You are much loved brother and will be forever missed!

David "Doc" Caldwell

#467 ·
On the other hand, when they do that it's a sure sign of what kind of person they are. I mean, posting how much they'll miss someone that they never knew to begin with is a dead give-away. I kind of think it's allowing Doug to still be involved with moderating the board by bringing the dorks to light early, ;)

#471 ·
Making this a sticky once again is really appreciated. This should give the new owners a window into how this place once operated, and by a man most only new seeing a name and an avatar, but greatly respected.

Sure hope the new mods will continue his legacy, to get this place back into the well running machine we all knew and were familiar with.

#472 ·
Making this a sticky once again is really appreciated. This should give the new owners a window into how this place once operated, and by a man most only new seeing a name and an avatar, but greatly respected.

doug was more than just a name and avatar to most (he was a great friend ,never had anykind of beef with him and he always could tell within 3 posts if someone was a poser or a biker )

Sure hope the new mods will continue his legacy, to get this place back into the well running machine we all knew and were familiar with.
thats why i made a list of names for new mods and most others ,gave the same names ,the new mods are all old members who knew doug and the way he kept this board clean ....i'm pretty sure they will do him justice ...because he was a great example of a good moderator !!!

#475 ·
It is nice to see Dougs memory kept alive.
Really not sure if there is anyone that could fill that set of shoes anyways.
Be sure. There isn't. Doug was one of a kind.

To the new owners: Please, leave the board as it is. We know you guy bough it in an effort to make money in some way shape or form, but for god sake don't trash it. there are too many other forums just asking to be bought and trashed.

To our future mods: Please, look back at how things have been handled in the past and follow suit. Doug, and the rest of those who have served as mod here, did an outstanding thankless job. Follow their lead and do as your predecessors did.

#478 ·
Right on guys. Wether you liked him or not you have to admit he made an impression. Hell people would go to other boards just to fume about him so he holds legend status with me. I got to see both sides and can say I learned few lessons from him. Thanks for the "education" Doug. See you on the other side. RIP.

#481 ·
He was solid as fuck...
He surely was! And for those who didn't like him, likely for the fact that he talked to you in a rather demeaning way at some point, he was just as apt to talk to his friends that way at a moments notice too if he thought you were being fucked up......I know this from experience.....hahahaha!

It is hard to believe that it has been two years....

I miss you Dragon! Keep the beer cold, and save me a few!

#486 ·
Dragon sold me a lot of stuff over the years, along with a ton of free advice. Even though I considered him a friend, he would be the first to tell me if I posted something inappropriate. Even if I didn't agree, I respected his position. He gave me a speedometer when my son was born as, in his words, "a baby shower gift." Speedo no longer works, but there's no way it's coming off my shovel. As others have pointed out, it doesn't seem possible that two years have past.