Jockey Journal Forum banner

78 iron head build

256K views 1K replies 81 participants last post by  little d 
#1 · (Edited)
*UPDATE: I DID PURCHASE IT FOR $1500!!! *

hey,

i got a line on 78 iron head, looks real nice in the pic but the guy said he took it to a shop to have the motor and tranny re-built. shop had it about 6 mos. wehn he got it back he said it worked 3 days then got stuck in 4th gear and clutch will not disengauge

I can get it for 1500, what do you all think...

*UPDATE: I DID PURCHASE IT FOR $1500!!! *

#8 ·
Re: 78 iron head stuck in 4th gear thinking of buying

As long as you can do the mechanical stuff and the price is right, It's a good deal. All the AMF crap that gave these years of Harleys such a Bad rap has been delt with by now and overall they were good bikes. Now the bike will only be as good as the mechanic thats working on it..

#9 ·

Buy it. Those four speed gear boxes are easy to work on. I think its a Kawasaki clutch setup for that year. I made a tool out of a piece of 1/4" steel & some 1/4" all thread, nuts and washers to compress the spring.

#15 ·

i know it's Easter and all... but I had to rip that cover off!
guy I bought it from said the clutch would not engage, but it seems to be working fine to me... there was a little slop in the lever so i took it up with the adjuster at the engine case end (no adjuster on the lever itself) and it works fine. just stuck in 4th.... pull in clucth rock bike and it frees up, leave out clutch and its in 4th... Shifter shaft just flops up and down like it is not hooked up to anything.... just click click no resistance like its just clicking against the case...

Tore the cover off with no problems, cover did have a new gasket with permatex over it...

Guess I need to figure out how to make the clutch puller you all are talking about...

Happy Easter!

Attachments

#17 ·

Take some 3/16" x 1 1/2" flat stock long enough to cross over the plug in the pressure plate and two cover bolt holes 180* apart. Use bolts with spacers long enough to locate the flat stock aprox. 2" above the pressure plate plug. Use a 5/16" bolt with a nut on the plate side and screw the bolt in depressing the pressure plate enough to remove the nuts on the studs. Best I can remember this year had a non adtustable pressure plate, achived with spacers on the studs. Pay attention to the number of threads showing on the studs just in case.

#19 ·

Take some 3/16" x 1 1/2" flat stock long enough to cross over the plug in the pressure plate and two cover bolt holes 180* apart. Use bolts with spacers long enough to locate the flat stock aprox. 2" above the pressure plate plug. Use a 5/16" bolt with a nut on the plate side and screw the bolt in depressing the pressure plate enough to remove the nuts on the studs. Best I can remember this year had a non adtustable pressure plate, achived with spacers on the studs. Pay attention to the number of threads showing on the studs just in case.
thanks! that will be my project this week... I found this picture online looks really easy... what do you think? (I'm a little slow sometimes and pics always help me out...)
I could make that real quick....

Attachments

#20 ·

It looks like the flat stock wasn't thick enough and started to bend so they stuck the wood in there and used the case studs to depress the pressure plate. It would work but minght be a bit close to some of the studs and be a bit of a pain.

#21 · (Edited)

thanks for the info! I found one on ebay for 10.99 + shipping..

"Clutch Puller Tool for 1971 to earley 84 Harley Davidson Sportster. This tool is made out of 1" x 1" x 1/8" wall steel tubing. This tool is for releasing the presssure of the clutch springs, so you can take the clutch apart to replace plates,ect. I will include instructions for use with tool. Thank you for looking."

price seems reasonable and I'm sure I will use it again sometime down the road so I ordered it...

Attachments

#23 ·

since I have to wait for it to come in I ordered a primary lock tool to lock up the chain so i can take off the comp nut... guess i could have made one out of a plastic cutting board or used a rag or 2 * 4 but what the hell.... Never go wrong buying a new tool as far as I am concerned...

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)

Splines on shifter shaft were worn some so I ordered a new one from Debrix.com. They were not that bad and probably would have worked fine, but I figure since I have to tear it apart I should just replace it...

Attachments

#29 ·

I used the clutch puller to compress, remove the 6 nuts and then ease out the spring. Gotta work late tonight on my day job so thats all I can get done today...

quick question: do I have to remove the retaining ring and plates or can I just remove the big nut and take it off together.

thanks!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.