Jockey Journal Forum banner

Redesigning The 1956 Triumph - A Pre Unit Build by Alp

186K views 352 replies 128 participants last post by  Ducbsa 
#1 · (Edited)
This time i am going to document the whole build, and i will post as much as i can. Previously i posted a rigid sportster here on the jj http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63365&showall=1
This build will contain mostly classic/vintage parts or handmade components.

here it is:

The bike in question is a numbers matching 1956 T110, it has a pre 55 6t rigid hardtail/seat post.

A lot of the beauty in vintage bikes is in the details which I love to capture in close ups

My goal is to build everything from scratch including the rear portion of the frame (you will see why)

Disassembling the engine and cleaning parts to start with

Taking care of the crank shaft and sludge tube

ready for tumbling

the cylinder heads were in pretty good shape, surprised not to see any of those hairline cracks

getting ready to strip the paint

after stripping the paint and removing lots of filler this is what i have found,
A poor frame lengthening job, the tubes were totally crooked, look at the previous image with all the filler on, i call that art work,

The front end that I am going to use is an original pre war Norton 16H Heavy Duty girder, with the rebound springs,

my favorite, scotch-brite

here you see all that surface rust is removed with sb on one tube, pretty straight for a +70 year front end.

more to come,

See less See more
#264 ·
Thanks a lot guys, extremely busy with the project, working more than 8hours every day just on this bikes components and there is still so much remaining. Designing is one thing making it work another..

I am making the second one, i will take pictures of the levers when done.

...hello Astek, impressive work you have been doing.

How do you obtain such anodized finish.
Im thinking in polish the part to finer grits and paste then polish again with a less finer grit to dullish it...

thanks
hey reverb, nothing special, i just sanded and gave it the scotchbrite/wd40 treatment.

#272 ·
Thanks, depending on the project it can be more than a full time day job like during the race season where I work on the race bike. During off season I usually work on clients' projects/private orders like this one, and do some other work on the side. My background is in industrial design so I made the decision to give priority to this type of work and put most of my time and energy into it.

#278 ·
Hey guys, thank you for the support, appreciate it..

very cool and now it made Perfect sense :D

any need of a workaholic swede in your surroundings please let me know haha
yeah sure, why not... you don't need to be a workaholic. that's you, right? in your avatar??

So i fixed the pinholes on the gas-tank. i pressurized the tank and used soapy water. it was making nice bubbles..

I made this minimalist gas tank cap and its bung. I wanted to have a low profile cap which doesn't stick up too much and goes well with the overall design.

#282 ·
Here is a mock-up, the first shown here is with a 21" front wheel and the one below with a 19".
I made all components to fit/match each other, such as the handle bars being parallel to the gas tank. Both tanks are designed according to each-other and of course of the angles/curves of the frame.
You can see the oil tank brackets/mount plates look stock, I made them from scratch but they're complimentary to the gearbox mounts style. There are many more design features on the bike, I will post them as the build goes on..

#334 ·
apologies if the answer is already in this thread somewhere: I am just catching up... I love the pipes and I am wondering where they came from? These are exactly the shape I want on my rigid drag bike. Alp did you hand bend them? Truly an awe inspiring build... and I vote for the 21" front wheel, and an update pic please....

#283 ·
looks great,
i like the 19" best and one thing i would tweak is the carb,i would angle it up a little as it's looks like it hangs backwards,but great progress,love the front end

#285 ·
can be the angles in the frame tube that makes it look like it hangs also,non the less i'm looking forward to more pics,such a great inspiration when i'm waiting to continue with my little NV
have sworn not to make anything on that until i get my new tig welder :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.