Project: NorField - Page 5 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #81
Lester

Default Re: Project: NorField

I have missed this one first time around. I'm thrilled to have found it. I am really in to home shop fab work and what a great thread this is.
Just looking at your brake I was wondering if it is possible to mount the perforated plate on the back side and maybe just have a small trimming on the front side. I'm not sure how the back side looks.
'75 BMW R90 stock
'83 BMW R100 commuter
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'70s Jawa speedway DT500
'80 couple og Jap bikes too
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #82
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I have missed this one first time around. I'm thrilled to have found it. I am really in to home shop fab work and what a great thread this is.
Just looking at your brake I was wondering if it is possible to mount the perforated plate on the back side and maybe just have a small trimming on the front side. I'm not sure how the back side looks.
Thanks for the suggestion. The rear of the brake is a mess of ribbing with no real place to mount the plate, perhaps it can be trimmed down and a "frame" added to give it a finished look like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverbikes View Post
"Of the 2000 originally manufactured, only 4700 are known to survive."
thegreasepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #83
thegreasepit

Haven't had much time around work to tinker with the bike but managed to squeeze in an evening and day.

First time doing any kind of upholstery work and didn't realize what a task it is, much respect from those who do this professionally and make it look easy. Wanted white piping with black to mimic Royal Enfield's and other British style seats from the 50's. A yard of vinyl from Joann's, piping from eBay, and foam from an old chair.

After several failed attempts and hours of youtube videos (thanks Sailrite)....

Hope to finish the rear brake cable so the exhaust can be started. Ditching the 1-1/5" factory pipes and will be making up a set of 1-5/8 swept backs.

More updates soon(ish).

Quote:

Old 04-13-2017, 11:19 PM   #84
thegreasepit

Been getting a little bit done here and there around jobs, and had to wait on parts, now time for a quick update.

Finished up the front brake scoop, drilled mounting holes and got it polished up.

Had to put in yet another order to Hitchcocks in the UK, this time for small bits including a new brake lever adjuster. The piece that came with the brake was crossthreaded and ultimately snapped in two when forcing it off. I should have just bought a damn Triumph and had parts readily available in the U.S.
Once the adjuster was in I could position the scoop and have room for movement.
A set of slotted screws gives it a good period look.

The rear brake housing and cover was painted black from the factory, front was polished but thought it would look better painted to match the rear.
After a few coats:

The G50 Matchless seat doubles as a rear fender, with nothing to bolt the Lucas taillight to, and instead of having a odd looking vertical license plate hanging off the side I came across an idea from a converted road bike

Looks a bit funky but it has grown on me, so an Indian made Model G license plate bracket was ordered, after a few weeks it finally shows in its primer and rusted glory. Sanding the rust and smoothing gave it a good foundation for paint. After a few coats...

A quick mockup of how it would look in place:

Purchased a set of reverse cone straight pipes to give it that GP look and sound. Also a quick mock up of the pipes too.

Pipe from the head has a small CLR and wont clear the alternator, instead of putting a few bends, I wanted the traditional swept look and ordered a set of U pipes with nearly double the radius. They should be on my doorstep tomorrow and hopefully there will be some time in the evening to start on them.

Ditching the newer Enfield 4 wire alternator and ordered a slimmer 3 phase Lucas unit, it's over a 1/2" thinner and will give the pipes more room.

That's it for tonight.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #85
thegreasepit

Squeezed in a bit more garage time this weekend, main goal was the exhaust pipes...but as usual I got a bit sidetracked with other tasks.

Assembled front brake plate after the paint cured for a bit.

Factory front tire for Enfields are 19", installed is an 18" leaving enough room between the fender to be annoying. Took out 1-1/8" from the fender stays. Much easier on the eyes.

The exhaust was one hell of a chore, only managed to get one side finished before throwing in the towel. Mocked up the new bends with the larger radius which looked cartoonish and out of place, so I went with the original plans and used the 2.5" radius bends.

Stator has just shy of 1/2" spacing from pipe, will be adding an aluminum belt / pulley cover to help shield the heat.

Turned out alright.

Now on to the second pipe.

More updates soon.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #86
Goldy

Great to see someone breathe new life back into an old thread. Nice work! Please keep us posted.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #87
Lester

Keep it comming!!!!!
'75 BMW R90 stock
'83 BMW R100 commuter
'70s Jawa speedway DT500
Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #88
thegreasepit

Thanks guys.

Not a whole lot to update on but there are a few things.

Since factory top engine mount is being used to support the toolbox, I wanted to fit Interceptor style brackets that utilize a tube welded to the frame, these were designed to withstand the higher horsepower engines.
Found the mounts on ebay, purchased a length of 3/4" tubing, drilled it out 7/16" and used trimmed down 1/4" plate for a spacer between tube and frame.

Will do all the final welding once the frame is stripped prior to paint.

Started the right side exhaust pipe, will finish it hopefully this weekend. Smoothed out the welds and finished the left pipe. Looks alright.

Got a few other side projects going on at the moment.
Will be making a new stator mount out of some 1/4" 6061. The inner primary cover was sliced, diced to be used just to hold the stator, but the factory Lucas alternator was far larger in diameter. An adapter was used for the newer 4 wire alt but was far too wide, hence the slimmer 3 phase unit.

Awaiting an odd size hole saw and some specialty hardware before cutting this up, but it's marked and ready.

More updates soonish.

Quote:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 AM   #89
Ratso

I'm glad you were able to use the smaller-radius pipe. It looks right. The pipes, etc., look great.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #90
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
I'm glad you were able to use the smaller-radius pipe. It looks right. The pipes, etc., look great.
Thanks dude. Turns out it the larger radius tube did come in handy, the bend around the alternator fit perfectly.

It's coming together pretty well, though the more I stare at it the more I think the pipes should have swept back a bit more, or gone up and over the alternator. Royal Enfield had very few racing bikes, most were in the 60's (twins used the 2 into 1"siamese" pipes that came on the late 50's Connies/Meteors) and have no idea how it would have looked back then.

How she looks right now:

Quote:

Last edited by thegreasepit; 04-21-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #91
thegreasepit

Got a bit more tinkering done today...

Exhaust

Continued work on the stator mount, turns out no matter how many times it's measured things still refuse to line up.

Will be ordering some threaded standoffs from McMaster, then tapping one end to 5/16 BSF to work with the factory stator studs.

Having clearance issues with stator wires, they protrude out and interfere with the crank pulley (red arrow). Instead of flipping the stator and having the wiring point towards the exhaust, will there be any issue removing some of the stator epoxy, repositioning the wiring and using some gasket sealer (green spot)?

Ideas?

Quote:
Old 04-24-2017, 04:13 AM   #92
richbob

Yea turn it round the other way Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1493025206.774744.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	234690

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #93
thegreasepit

Ok, thanks.
You'd think the Lucas logo would face out like on the Sparx in the photo...

Quote:
Old 04-26-2017, 12:27 AM   #94
thegreasepit

Tonight was spent on the belt cover. I don't do a whole lot of step by step bits but tonight there will be with a bunch of photos.

Box from McMaster showed, in it was some aluminum standoffs, was able to get the stator mounted and spaced properly. Not much work required except for a bit of countersinking some screws. On to the belt cover...

Started with a sheet of .05" 5052 and scribed the areas that will be trimmed out.

Rough cut with the angle grinder, removed the rest of excess like pulling teeth.

A flap wheel that's used for grinding down tubing has been worn down with a deep groove....it just so happens to work perfectly smoothing out the hole and putting on a light chamfer to the edge.

Trimmed the final shape and smoothed the edges. Test fit.

The aluminum sheet had enough material to cut a 2.5" strip.

Just happens a tube bending die fits the radius pretty dang well. Used that for the alt. side.

A few cruddy tack welds to hold its shape.

More shit welds.

Protruded a bit too far, trimmed off 5/16" (after photo was taken), it's a bit more streamlined and fits a bit better around the brake pedal but might take off another 1/4". Will be opening the clutch hole about another inch in diameter, might take out some material from the center like this.

Quote:
Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #95
Lester

Great job! I like the idea of taking out the middel bit... you don't have to take out that much but eliminating some of the flat "shapeless" bit will help over all design and it wount look so big either.
What a great build thread! Thanks for sharing keep going at it

Lester
'75 BMW R90 stock
'83 BMW R100 commuter
'70s Jawa speedway DT500
Old 04-28-2017, 11:28 PM   #96
thegreasepit

Got a bit more done on the belt cover...I'm ready for it to be done and finished already. Spent too much time screwing something up and then fixing it...

now some pictures.

Cut an hourglass shape out of the side, it looked funky so the top was trimmed a bit more.

Places to mount the belt cover to are sparse on the frame or engine. Bent up a sprocket cover from heavier sheet 6061, the top of the belt cover will screw to this. Narrowed the outer section about another 1/2", far less bulky now.

Wanted a vent on the outer face of the cover, used some aluminum mesh found at Home Depot and a strip to hold it in place.

After a few irritating hours, a few fuck-ups, and a lot of swearing....

Not sure whether to polish, paint semi gloss black, or have a satin brushed aluminum finish on the cover / vent. Could use some opinions.

Took a break from wanting to scrap the whole cover and start fresh, I decided to focus on another task: raising the pegs. A few GP bikes from the 50's mounted the pegs / rear-sets directly over the swing arm nut, like the Matchless, or some mounted them around but very close to swing arm height. Cut the peg mounts used on the Norton frame (these are 1/4", far sturdier than the 3/16" tabs initially used) and raised the pegs about 3/4". Knees sit a bit higher and give a bit more room for the tank, and feels a bit more natural. The brake arm location is very similar to the G50 now.

This is where I said "fuck it" for the night.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #97
thegreasepit

Not much to report but an update's and update.

Finally finished the belt cover, added a few tabs that mount to the stator mount and frame near the swing arm. Removed the screws and riveted the screen in place.

The seat has been an ongoing irritation, either it's too high, or doesn't follow the frame properly since this isn't actually a Matchless! The Enfield frame has a fat ass and squared off, nothing fits right. This has to be the 5th time I've screwed with the seat mounts, they're still not done but things are looking promising.

Pulled off the fresh upholstery, shaved down the sides to fit the frame profile a bit better, then added a few screws through the seat for frame brackets.

(Front mounts, "hooks" onto perpendicular frame tubes the factor seat subframe fits onto. Will redo in aluminum eventually to save a bit of weight.)

A bit of 1/8" 6061 (still needs some gusseting).

Now that the seat is in place and where I want...it's time for the main course, the tank. Instead of the steel tank that started that's been mocked up past few updates I want to do this right and go with an aluminum tank.

Scored an english wheel for pretty cheap months ago, after a day of assembly and setting up I spent the last few nights getting familiar with some scrap. Youtube has come in handy with technique too. Done plenty of heavy tank mods in the past, this will be a first time starting from scratch.

This tank will be fairly large, 5ish gallon size (19l for you non-'Muricans) and slung low on the frame. Will utilize the factory front mounts on the neck and probably add a few tabs and rubbers near the rear for some extra cushion.

A bit of inspiration @0:55...unveiling of the G50 prototype in '58

Rough tunnel .063 5052

English wheel came in handy to start the tunnel bend, after some trimming it starting to fit.

Done for the night.

Quote:
Old 05-14-2017, 11:55 PM   #98
thegreasepit

Alright, more tank progress. Since the last update it's been nothing but an uphill battle making my first tank. Was hoped that a something close or identical to a G50/7R tank was possible but alas I lack the skill for that kind of fab work, will be taking slightly easier route with a hybrid, part Matchless, part Enfield steel tank.

Will be using an aluminum tank strap, the rear of the tank has a cut out and boxed in section for the spring latch. A quick template...

After about 3 attempts of getting the bends right and still fitting within the cutout....

Older tanks have smooth, rounded seams, a reshaped dolly welded to a pedestal works pretty dang well to shape the panel edges.

Cut out for the carb body and tickler access

Trying to decide how wide this tank will be. The marked section extends a 1/2" past the knee.

That's it for tonight.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2017, 03:04 AM   #99
richbob

Good job
impressive stuff
width would be determined by long range or short?
or the width of your thigh/knee in your racing leathers?

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #100
Ratso

The top profile looks just right. Not sure about hiding so much of the engine with the deep tank. Probably a matter of misperception (mine).
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote