'62 Chop, 4th Rebuild in 42 years..... - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #41
2Loose

Default Re: '62 Chop, 4th Rebuild in 42 years.....

Lots of delays, family and home, they come first, always have, but back on it now, plus my '55 Chevy "nostalgia" gasser project needs to get finished so I can run it at our local track next year, so putting in lots of time on that one too....

Ran across another fuel tank I like, and wanted a little change from what I was running "back in the day", so set it up and I like the look....

Now to move the motor and remaining parts over from the old frame and get it to the point where the welding is done and I can take it apart for final paint and assembly....
Aloha,
Willy

Link to more pix on pg. 3 (scroll down a ways....)
2Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #42
bbdiamond1974

Great work
bbdiamond1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #43
2Loose

The only problem with this new tank is that the handlebars hit the tank at fairly shallow fork angles, set the stops so they did not hit the tank, but for parking and other maneuvering the fork angle is not very good, would take a lot of back and forth work to get the bike into a tight space, stuff like that, so I was looking at how to get more angle....

Dug up a set of 6" handle bar risers I had in the back of my shop, replaced the 4" risers I had on there, and a slightly wider set of handlebars, about 2" each side, and was able to dramatically increase the fork angle for maneuvering, took the fork stop bolts all the way out, it's at the max unless I grind some off the bottom triple tree where it hits the frame stop, but it looks pretty good now....

I like narrow bars, and I like drag style bars, these are a little wider than I like, but maybe because I'm now 68, it's good to have a little wider set of bars, easier to maneuver that front end around when parking, etc....

Couple more pix at the bottom of this page.... (Link)

Aloha,
Willy

Last edited by 2Loose; 11-27-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #44
Patrick46

WOW!!! Great (re)build thread!!!

I like the narrow bars better too, but wide bars are more stable.

68??, and you're still riding a hardtail???

HOLY COW!!! you've got MY RESPECT!!!

You don't quit riding because you get old...you get old because you quit riding!!

my graphics shop's site is...www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 AM   #45
J_F_Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loose View Post
The only problem with this new tank is that the handlebars hit the tank at fairly shallow fork angles, set the stops so they did not hit the tank, but for parking and other maneuvering the fork angle is not very good, would take a lot of back and forth work to get the bike into a tight space, stuff like that, so I was looking at how to get more angle....

Dug up a set of 6" handle bar risers I had in the back of my shop, replaced the 4" risers I had on there, and a slightly wider set of handlebars, about 2" each side, and was able to dramatically increase the fork angle for maneuvering, took the fork stop bolts all the way out, it's at the max unless I grind some off the bottom triple tree where it hits the frame stop, but it looks pretty good now....

I like narrow bars, and I like drag style bars, these are a little wider than I like, but maybe because I'm now 68, it's good to have a little wider set of bars, easier to maneuver that front end around when parking, etc....

Couple more pix at the bottom of this page.... (Link)

Aloha,
Willy
Great stance you've got there. IMO there's another problem with the new tank: To be honest, it doesn't look as good as the old Frisco sporty tank.
J_F_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #46
2Loose

You're right, the old Frisco style sporty tank was the "deal" back when, and with the fiberglas tank it was pretty easy to move that filler up where I did, with the "erection tube" on it! (Always got plenty of comments on that !!!) (As in "Hey, Willy, yer bike's got a hard on.....") When I tried to do that in steel, I kept getting pinhole leaks! Welded up 4 to 6 pinholes the first time, more kept popping up! After 4 or 5 sessions with the welder chasing my tail and those damn pinhole leaks, I put it aside for now, might come back to it later, but this tank was around at a buddy's, so tried it, a few more gallons, with the old setup I was always stopping to top off the tank, and carried extra gas on my mainland jaunts!

Might still go back to the sporty tank, if I can fix those pinholes! Don't like "Kreem" and the like (tank sealers), have had bad experience with that stuff eventually (over time) coming loose and fouling up the whole fuel system!

This will do for now, but yeah, I'd like to run the Sporty tank again some day....
Aloha,
Willy
Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #47
2Loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
68??, and you're still riding a hardtail???

HOLY COW!!! you've got MY RESPECT!!!
Heh, heh.....
Thanks, those springs under the seat work really well, plus I plan to get back down to my old "fightin' weight" (about 160), another 20 lbs to lose and I'll be there.....

My two other bikes are swingarm frames (a '59 FLH, "local boy" fatbob style, but apart right now; and a '91 FXDB Sturgis Special Dynaglide....)

I'm starting to order parts for the '59, now that I have legal title to it, will post a build thread on it when I start that project....
(There's a thread here on Jockey Journal on how all that came to be...)
Link To "A Good Bike Story"

We'll see just how well I do on the old hardtail......
Aloha,
Willy

Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #48
J_F_Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loose View Post
You're right, the old Frisco style sporty tank was the "deal" back when, and with the fiberglas tank it was pretty easy to move that filler up where I did, with the "erection tube" on it! (Always got plenty of comments on that !!!) (As in "Hey, Willy, yer bike's got a hard on.....") When I tried to do that in steel, I kept getting pinhole leaks! Welded up 4 to 6 pinholes the first time, more kept popping up! After 4 or 5 sessions with the welder chasing my tail and those damn pinhole leaks, I put it aside for now, might come back to it later, but this tank was around at a buddy's, so tried it, a few more gallons, with the old setup I was always stopping to top off the tank, and carried extra gas on my mainland jaunts!

Might still go back to the sporty tank, if I can fix those pinholes! Don't like "Kreem" and the like (tank sealers), have had bad experience with that stuff eventually (over time) coming loose and fouling up the whole fuel system!

This will do for now, but yeah, I'd like to run the Sporty tank again some day....
Aloha,
Willy
Sounds to me like you MIG welded your steel tank. And unless you're good enough with the mig to run a continuous weld seam on light gauge material without burning holes, mig welding a fuel tank will be the exercise in endless chasing of "pin holes" and chemical patch-ups you describe.
Don't feel bad; damned few people are skilled enough with a mig to assemble or modify a leak-proof tank.

A small (2.5 gallon) Mustang tank would look great on there if you're not up for fabbing a custom tank.
J_F_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #49
FroFro24

Great looking build, I really dig the tank, it goes nice with the bike... Can't wait to see it finished, I don't see too many bikes like this around the islands...
Old 11-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #50
2Loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_F_Byrd View Post
Sounds to me like you MIG welded your steel tank. And unless you're good enough with the mig to run a continuous weld seam on light gauge material without burning holes, mig welding a fuel tank will be the exercise in endless chasing of "pin holes" ......
Yeah, migged it with my small Lincoln with .023 wire, tacked the "patch" in place over the hole where the original fuel cap was in about 12 spots, and then welded up between the tacks, a little at a time to keep the heat/warp down, then ground it down smooth, it came out looking great, but had about 5 pinholes when I tested it, welded those holes, and 5 more popped up, different places, kept happening, finally gave up for now......

I'll run this other tank, not that hard to change tanks later if I want....

Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #51
2Loose

Got some more parts cleaned up and on the bike, put it on the ground to check out the kickstand and a few other things, rode it around a bit with a buddy pushing, felt good !!!!

After some pressure washing, pulled the original '62 motor out of the old frame, even after a lot of pressure washing, it is still "not pretty", gonna need more clean up before I'm happy with it. It's on the bench for now, will pull the top end off and check it out inside....
Am thinking (hoping) it only needs the minimum, hone the cylinders and new rings, and a valve job....

BTW, Those are old AEE finned Pan covers there....
Aloha,
Willy

Link to new page 5

Last edited by 2Loose; 11-27-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #52
2Loose

Found a set of old "buckhorn" bars in a "discard" pile at a buddy's shop, tried 'em out, had to straighten 'em out a bit, and shorten the ends a bit to suit myself, think they look pretty good. Easy enough to switch back and forth between these and the flat drag bars....
Aloha,
Willy

Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #53
71'Trump

Those bars look better with that tank. Looking good over all. You are still going to put the springer back on right?
71'Trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #54
marsupial

I like the chopped buckhorns and tall risers.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #55
Nick-O

The chopped down bars look cool...did you chop down the grips as well or is a trick of the picture?
Nick-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #56
TheAppleKnocker

whats the story on the old frame? are you going to sell it?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #57
checcohd-1

i love that buckhorn bars..
checcohd-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #58
2Loose

Those grips were already shortened when I ran them on the drag bars back 20+ years ago, just pulled em off and put them on the buckhorns after whacking off about 4" of bar on each side. The bucks were twisted about 10 deg. and pushed in about an inch and a half on the right side, I was able to take that out of them and get them squared away close enough you can't see it without a template. Used a couple of cardboard templates from the left side to match the right side against when straightening them.

Those risers are the 6 inchers I had been running with the drag bars before. Also had a set of 4" risers I had been running with buckhorns when I originally setup the bike in '69. Those bars got bent in a minor collision about '75 or so, put the drag bars on then and had to switch to the 6" risers to clear the tank. I put the 4" risers on yesterday just to see how they would look, can't decide which I like better, will take a pix for you guys to see later today.....

If I push the throttle grip on all the way on the right side, it comes up against the start of the handlebar curve enough to cause the throttle internal portion to bind against the outer shell after tightening down the screws, looking at how to cure that, backing it off down the handlebar a quarter inch or so cures that, but then it offends me as I sit on the seat, doesn't look right, I could back the right side grip off a similar amount, but sometimes I get hardnosed about such things, and determined to "fix it the right way"...... (whatever that is....)

Anyway, this project (like my 55 chebby gasser project) is an effort to use as much old parts, stuff laying around my shop or my buddies shops, as I can, without buying anything, or fabbing from scratch or other parts as much as I can, sort of a challenge there!

That old springer is still available, but has some cracks where the old A-bone radius rods are connected to the upper portion of the old springer. We (my buddies and I) think that was done with braze, than chromed, as that was the technique used way back then...
If my memory is correct, the old springers were put together by Harley Davidson with braze, oven brazed, and when extending them, the common practice was to fit the upper stubs of the chopped springer closely into the wide ends of the model A radius rods and braze then in place. If I am correct, likewise the lower ends of the springer was inserted into the lower end of the radius rods and brazed in place, but we do not know for sure if this one was done that way. I think the faint hairline cracks I am seeing at the upper joints on both legs are probably just the hard chrome cracking from normal flex in those legs, but it still scares me a bit. My solution is to find out how far those upper stubs insert into the extensions, drill two holes crosswise, one above the other, through the extensions and the stubs, and plug weld them on both sides of each leg. I think that would make them considerably stronger, but still, those hairline cracks at the upper junction between the original springer legs and the radius rods bothers me! Would hate to find out I was wrong at 70 in heavy traffic or on a curvey road......

The old frame is a part of the family, gonna hang it in the shop until I'm "make" (Hawaiian for dead, pronounced maa -kee, when a Hawaiian's bike is so trashed it will probably never run again, it is said to be "Make-Die-Dead!!!")!

Pulled the heads off the old motor, looks good inside, need to mike it, see how worn it is, if it looks good, will grind the valves, and button it back up and run it as is! Those barrels were "aluminized" way back 40 years ago, and are pretty burnt on dirty now. Cleaned up the heads with "oven-off" and some wire brushes, looks pretty good, want to clean the barrels the same way, but gotta keep that chemical crap out of the insides, maybe after I bolt the heads back on I can give those barrel fins a try with the chems, pressure washing wouldn't take it off, although it cleaned 'em up remarkably well!

Anybody here use or have used a Joe Hunt mag? Do they need anything other than a good points cleaning before restarting them after a long layoff? Like do the magnets need to be recharged or anything like that? Never had any problems with this mag back when I was running it daily, other than the occasional points cleaning and resetting the timing. Ran with no battery all those years, and when turning on the lights at nite, never knew for sure if they were gonna come on or not, ran an early "black box" battery eliminator, straight off the old 6 volt police spec fan cooled generator, and want to keep it that way.

Gonna run the narrowed wide glide for now, it's all rebuilt, new lower leg bushings installed and reamed to fit the new tubes (replaced the old 16" over tubes from "forking by Franks", with new ones from the same guys !!!!!). but where I didn't run a front brake before, I want to put one on now. I have an old beatup pretty useless condition front drum brake, looking at taking the hub portion of that brake and turning it down on a lathe to be able to fit a disk on it, and I have a couple calipers off of an old Kawasaki I can use, make my own disk setup to fit that narrowed front end with the original star hub! We shall see.

Yes, I do still want to run that springer, but I gotta be sure it is safe to run before I do!
Aloha all,
Willy

Last edited by 2Loose; 01-11-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #59
sorryifitburns

Send a message via Yahoo to sorryifitburns

those buckhorns totally complete that front end, im liking this build alot!
sorryifitburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #60
2Loose

Decided to do a total rebuild of the motor. Health ain't been so good so it's goin' slower then I want, but is slowly moving ahead. Heads all done, valve job, new valves and guides, now just gotta get that bottom end done!

Last edited by 2Loose; 08-01-2011 at 12:30 AM.