Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes - Page 8 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #141
FearNoEvo

Default Re: Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66triumph View Post
^^^Hey hand, for your first 4 posts, your kicking ass! you oughta fit right in around here.^^^

-A.
The dude crews for one of the nicest/baddest Nostalgia rails around. Not too mention Dales driver, Radar, is probably one of the best head guys on the planet. What a team to be a part of! Tell Kurt FearNoEvo said hi. Does he still race his Buell at all?

I have a set of shovel heads going Radars way in a couple of months.

Nice to e-meet you Justin, you guys going to be at Harleys and Hot Rods this year?
FearNoEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #142
Calkins

Send a message via Skype™ to Calkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoEvo View Post
The dude crews for one of the nicest/baddest Nostalgia rails around. Not too mention Dales driver, Radar, is probably one of the best head guys on the planet. What a team to be a part of! Tell Kurt FearNoEvo said hi. Does he still race his Buell at all?

I have a set of shovel heads going Radars way in a couple of months.

Nice to e-meet you Justin, you guys going to be at Harleys and Hot Rods this year?
I think the the last time Kurt had the Buell out was HNHR last year. I think he has some work he wants to do to it before he takes it out again. HNHR is usually on a weekend that we run somewhere else, and I think it's Union Grove, WI. And yea, Radar did all of John Force's cylinder head work before they started doing it in house. He knows his shit!

Last edited by Calkins; 07-26-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #143
shovithead

Cool Sportster I found online somewhere. Old, and Old School.
________
vaporizer reviews

Last edited by shovithead; 04-21-2014 at 06:11 AM.
shovithead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #144
frank spittle

Here is something you might find interesting. These are the NHRA-AMDRA Motorcycle 1/4 Mile National Records 35 years ago. You will no doubt recognize some of the record holders. Click on the document and then click on it two more times to blow it up. Among all the records you will find T/F, Pro Fuel (Funny Bike before the F/B class) A/F, B/F, C/F, D/F, E/F, F/F and G/F. I think it is worth the time to look over some of the names you have forgot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	McycleRecords.gif
Views:	804
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	50832  

Last edited by frank spittle; 06-21-2010 at 09:12 PM.
frank spittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #145
Keith Lee

Thanks for the continuing info on Danny Johnson's exploits Frank.
I went to a drag racing show last weekend, and raided the loft for a suitable T shirt, and found a Marion Owens shirt which still fitted after over 30 years!

Also in the bag was one of Danny's, which he gave to me on a visit to England. Took a quick snap to share.

Keith

Name:	Danny_shirt.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	50840
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KL_Penfold_Kart.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	50841  
Keith Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #146
darkhorsepower

I was talking to my friend, Jay Brown about my project bike. He told me about his cousin Tom Rudd, who was on a team that engineered a carb for Nitro Harley's and went 150 MPH with a artificial leg.
Anyway the story is :

Minnesota Dragways, 1965, Tom Rudd was racing, hit a bump at half track and his artifical leg bounced off the foot peg and started dragging the rest of the way down the track. When he got to the end of the quartermile the front half of his left boot was ground off, he pulled everything back up & on, rode back to the pit and got off his bike, and walked around on his half foot & boot. In the pits a woman screamed "his foot is half gone" and fainted !

I will get more stories from Jay about racing and his Dr MudSpringer days.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:38 AM   #147
Horst Heiler

Wasn`t it the same Tom Rudd who foundet Drag Specialties ... and nowadays Küryakin?
Horst Heiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #148
frank spittle

Tom Rudd is definitely one of Fuel Bikes greatest innovators. He helped develop the Harley Linkert Fuel Carb among many other things. He did found Drag Specialties.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #149
frank spittle

Folks, we just passed a milestone. When I started this topic just three months ago I did not know what kind of response it would get. Well, it has been one of the hottest topics on the Jockey Journal surpassing TEN THOUSAND visits. Thanks to all of you who have posted.... and to those who have something to say or pictures to post about the history of Fuel Bikes please join in.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #150
Keith Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank spittle View Post
Folks, we just passed a milestone. When I started this topic just three months ago I did not know what kind of response it would get. Well, it has been one of the hottest topics on the Jockey Journal surpassing TEN THOUSAND visits. Thanks to all of you who have posted.... and to those who have something to say or pictures to post about the history of Fuel Bikes please join in.
Don't know if you have seen this, but on the excellent UKDRN site in England there are some films posted from the 1973 International meeting at Santa Pod. Mainly cars, but there are some bikes shown. Danny Johnson features at around the 7 minute mark on part one, and around 5 minutes on part 2, including a fire burnout sequence.
He had problems on both runs, but it is a good bit of film.

I have included the link below:

http://www.ukdrn.co.uk/forum/viewtop...77b3684ab0a055

Regards,
Keith
Old 06-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #151
frank spittle

Thanks Keith for the Danny Johnson memorabilia. He wore a Johnson High Performance t-shirt throughout his long racing career. Those videos are great!! Do you remember which month in '73 he raced at Santa Pod?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #152
Dragon

Congrats on the great thread & all the veteran racers finding it....thought I'd bring this over from its original thread -

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsporty View Post

Here is a link to a video I shot at Pete Hill's yearly Christmas party. Always a good time when he fires the nitro burnin KnuckleHead!!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrvVl899Zyk

Yeah, Pete and Jackie are good folk. This video was actually from last years party. Here is a link to some photos from the party as well.

http://www.pbase.com/daron_gray/pete_hill_tf

Last edited by Dragon; 06-23-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: add related pic-post by same poster.
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #153
Keith Lee

Quote:
Thanks Keith for the Danny Johnson memorabilia. He wore a Johnson High Performance t-shirt throughout his long racing career. Those videos are great!! Do you remember which month in '73 he raced at Santa Pod?
Danny raced over three consecutive weekends during his visit in July 1973. Two were at Santa Pod, while the middle race was at a military base on the south coast, where the course was only 1000 feet due to the short shutoff area.

In 1975 Danny visited Santa Pod twice with Goliath 2, and you might be interested that a picture of him racing TC at Santa Pod is one of the front cover pictures on the book I am finalising on drag bike racing in britain in the early days.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #154
frank spittle

Keith,

I am glad to hear you are recording British Drag Bike racing history in the form of a book. The same thing is being done here on American Fuel Bike racers and is rumored to be printed later this year.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #155
Keith Lee

Quote:
Keith,

I am glad to hear you are recording British Drag Bike racing history in the form of a book. The same thing is being done here on American Fuel Bike racers and is rumored to be printed later this year.
Frank,
My book is now in the editing stage, and includes the many American visitors who competed here up until the mid 1980s.
Do you know who is writing the book in America? It sounds very interesting.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #156
frank spittle

I am sad to report that the only motorcycle drag racing organization (except for the all Harley) has ceased operations today June 24th 2010. AMA/DRAGBIKE owners released their statement this morning. Joe Smith informed me of the release.

Last edited by frank spittle; 06-24-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #157
Patrick46

Why the hell did that happen??

You don't quit riding because you get old...you get old because you quit riding!!

my graphics shop's site is...www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #158
Joe Smith

This is the announcement on D/B Forum...

Effectively immediately, Hammer Motorsports DBA AMA Dragbike Series, will cease operations indefinitely. Regretfully, today's economic climate, rising costs and decreasing revenue makes it fiscally irresponsible to continue doing business. The final details are being worked out at this time.

"Motorcycle Drag Racing has been a passion for both of us for many years and we have given all of ourselves to this sport," said Brandi Neithamer, Vice President of AMA Dragbike. "We knew this year would be very difficult given the economic conditions, but we never anticipated it would go downhill so quickly. Scott Valetti and I have a tough road ahead of us to close the business, and we hope to receive the support of the community during this difficult time."

"The AMA will be issuing their own statement regarding the future of the AMA Dragbike Series,” Neithamer continued. “If there are any parties interested in discussing our operation of the series, please feel free to contact us. We will do everything in our power to help you succeed."
Hammer Motorsports would like to thank all of the AMA Dragbike racers, sponsors and fans that have helped support the organization [formerly AMA Prostar] over the last 21 years.

“We have always strived to hold safe, fair and exciting racing events, and we appreciate all that have helped us achieve that goal,” Neithamer said. “Scott and I extend our best wishes to all in our racing community.”

Scott Valetti
Brandi Neithamer
AMA Dragbike

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
http://www.granddaddyjoesmith.com
Copyright 2007-2015. Joe Smith. All rights reserved
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #159
frank spittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
Why the hell did that happen??
Unfortunately motorcycle drag racing has been in a freefall for many years. This is only one opinion as to why it has been but I have seen the good and the bad times.

(1) The good times were the Seventies when there was only one organization, the AMERICAN MOTORCYCLE DRAG RACING ASSOCIATION, and there was only one REALLY big meet....Bowling Green. That was the race that all hard core motorcycle drag racing fans attended each year and the grandstands were packed. All the British bikes were still being manufactured and raced at B/G. There were plenty of British bike racing fans there to pull for them. The Japanese bikes were just starting to invade the USA but there were plenty of fans pulling for them too. And last but not least there were the Harleys. In Top Fuel you would have the Harleys, Nortons, Triumphs, Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, Yamahas, battling for the win. That covers just about all the brands. Today, they are all gone in T/F except for Harley and Suzuki. It has really hurt the spectator turnout.

(2) Racing in general is not nearly as popular as it once was as technology has changed our world.

(3) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't believe motorcycle drag racing will ever be as popular as it once was. That is the reason topics like this one are so important...to record for history how great it once was. I feel very lucky to have lived and raced during the glory years.

Last edited by frank spittle; 06-24-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #160
Yags

Great topic Frank Spittle.

Very sad to hear about AMA.

Speaking of the earlier days when motorcycle drag racing was in it's hayday, here are a few pics my dad took at Beech Bend around '72-'73.

Grandaddy Joe Smith, Leo Payne, Dave Campos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img151.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	50909   Click image for larger version

Name:	img154.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	50910   Click image for larger version

Name:	img149.jpg