Home made workshop tools - Page 14 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #261
old.wrench

Default Re: Home made workshop tools

For all you wheel builders on a budget.

Once you've got your wheel laced up, it's time to true it.
There seems to be a trend towards using dial indicators for this purpose, but I prefer to use a simpler approach, just a simple pointer. The end result is exactly the same - a trued wheel. I know that there are a lot of balancing/truing stands similar to the one in my pic. They are real simple to build, all you need is a base, two legs, some bearings, and a few bolts and nuts. Then, what you need is a simple way to hold your truing indicator in place. I got tired of clamping a make-shift arm in place, so . . . I wanted something simple, solid, and adjustable; plus I wanted to able to get it out of my way easily if I was using the stand for something other than truing. I prefer to true to the bead seat so here's what I came up with, a simple truing gizmo -

It couldn't be much simpler, a piece of 3/8" all-thread (about 18" long) with two offset bends, a support plate for the pointer (short piece of tube welded to a scrap of sheet steel), and some 3/8" nuts and washers. The pointer is a scrap of steel with the point high-lighted with a little red paint for easy visibility. Drill a 3/8" hole through one of the stand's legs, and bolt the arm on. You can easily adjust the truing gizmo to match the wheel diameter (by adjusting the amount of extension with the nuts) or wheel width (by swinging the arm up or down).

Geo.

"hony swacky mally asbestos"

old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #262
Dr. Benway
Mod Squad

RidingHood inspired me, so I made a little forge from stuff I had around. It even has some Triumph parts on it...

Right now I have a simple exhaust bend brazed to the bottom with a blower on the end to stoke the fire. I have to figure out better fuel (charcoal is fine just for messing around) but it got that wrench up to yellow heat pretty quickly. I can see a bigger setup coming already...

Dr. Benway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #263
supercrouton

Here is a bit I whipped up to speed a little production project I had. It is three 1/4" slabs of aluminum, welded together, then die grinded back down. Then I turned both sides to true it back up.

It acts as a stop for small stock, and allows consistent lengths to be cut.

I had to make eight of these, and they had to be exactly the same overall and shoulder length. It's not motorcycle related, but you get the general idea of the potential.

The end products were glued to a slab of 1/2" thick glass, and located the glass to the steel structure through 1/2" holes, to complete this art table for my wife and son to work on.

Angry Monkey Motorcycles official website
supercrouton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #264
F.St.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benway View Post
RidingHood inspired me, so I made a little forge from stuff I had around. It even has some Triumph parts on it...

Never mind the Triumph parts Paul, you've got Trent Reznor in there!!

F.St.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #265
Dr. Benway
Mod Squad

Oh man, too bad it wasn't the virgin Mary, I coulda taken it on tour thru the Bible Belt!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #266
little d

Did ya bang a knife out?
Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #267
dhallilama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benway View Post

Right now I have a simple exhaust bend brazed to the bottom with a blower on the end to stoke the fire. I have to figure out better fuel (charcoal is fine just for messing around) but it got that wrench up to yellow heat pretty quickly. I can see a bigger setup coming already...

careful; forges are addictive. once you make one big enough that you seriously start considering if it'd be better moved closer to the neighbor's house so your house will be safer, then it gets really fun

i've had charcoal fired, natural gas (didn't work as well as i'd hoped, but it was clean), propane & now cobbling together a waste oil fired forge... using a pump from an oil furnace.
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #268
Dr. Benway
Mod Squad

Yeahp, the wheels are already turning for a bigger (maybe propane) version...
Old 12-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #269
Richard D

Send a message via Yahoo to Richard D

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrouton View Post

It acts as a stop for small stock, and allows consistent lengths to be cut.

Good idea, I need to cut and face a bunch of short fat pieces.
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #270
supercrouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D View Post
Good idea, I need to cut and face a bunch of short fat pieces.
Yep, that little item can speed things like this along nicely, and give a consistent result...

Old 12-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #271
Rem

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrouton View Post
Yep, that little item can speed things like this along nicely, and give a consistent result...
Yeah, that's a neat idea. Beats using a piece of flat stock to get close, then tapping the workpiece around to get it square in the chuck!
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #272
supercrouton

Am I the only one that thinks it's a pain to install a new seal than reinstall the drive-side outer race into a K2FC magneto? The seal has a steel core, the bearing race is steel, the mag is lined with two strong magnets on either side and is too deep for a man's hands. Add to that, the race is held into the mag body with paper crush thingy. Aligning all that crap and fighting the magnets on the way down is, well, an exercise in futility at best. Here is something mostly non-ferrous I made to make this a two minute job.

Drop the seal in first, with some sealant around the outer edge like this

Set in the paper spacer, then in with the outer race. At this point, you can't get it wrong.

Tap the race in with a mallet and .....Bam! You're done! Easy!

Old 01-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #273
knuckleworks

thats nice Dan

well most cool guys have ace of spades on their stuff and i thought i could try to be cool to (haha)
some imagination,8mm roundbar,weld and voila,i got 2 pedals and a stand for my shrinker/stretcher tools just return springs and paint and it will do

Lex Talionis
R I P Tippo 110426 my best friend for 13 years,you're missed
knuckleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #274
old.wrench

I've got an n.o.s. Wassell fender that I picked up at the Wauseon meet a few years ago that I want to use on a Panhead build. The problem with the fender is that it was made to too large of a radius to fit nicely on my tire, even though it's a fairly large diameter Firestone Deluxe Champion 4.50x18. I was going to tighten up the radius by using the old lever method with a couple pieces of 2x4 but anyone who has ever done that knows that the fender wants to "squirt" away from you when you start applying force. So, I rounded up some scrap steel I had and bolted and welded some pieces together to come up with a tool that does a hell of a job. It's adjustable for fender width and fender sidewall height. It traps the fender in place and allows you to make even and precise adjustments. The "shoes" that contact the fender are made out of hardwood, they are adjustable and replaceable and you can make them any shape you want to match the profile of the fender. I'll add a compression spring fitted between the handles (one of these days when I come across one) to make it a little easier to use (those little springs you see between the "shoes" don't do anything, they're just the springs attached to the uni-strut nuts). The friggin thing works way better than I anticipated .

Geo.

"hony swacky mally asbestos"

old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #275
Uuh...

Thanks for sharing that old.wrench!
I really like it when a home-made DIY tools get developed into something more professional looking/working.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #276
Lester

Hey guys....

I agree with the post above, my hat goes off to the guys who take the time to not only build but also Paint their well thought out home brew Tools.
I will make and modify Tools when needed but its usually when I am in a jam and need a quick fix tool to get the job done and they do look it. I'll still give them a place in my too cabinet thou.

here is a quick example.... looks like crap but does the job well enough.

Lester
'75 BMW R90 stock
'83 BMW R100 commuter
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'70s Jawa speedway DT500
'80 couple og Jap bikes too

Last edited by Lester; 02-10-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #277
DocS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder Bill View Post
Same idea, but I used a truck rim and a piece of pipe. There's a foot lever in the base that lowers 4 swivel casters; this raises the unit 1/8", just enough to unload the weight. One handed move with the landing gear lowered...
Hey, Bill, a drawing or photos of that lever linkage would be very much appreciated! I've been kicking around the same concept for my anvil stand but I haven't come up with anything that compact.

Doc
DocS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #278
Mr Bill

Doc;

Simple frame, hinged at the back. The foot lever slides under a catch to keep it elevated. The trick to getting it to work correctly is to first shim the base to ride height then fix the components in place.

Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #279
concrete guy

Work in progress. On stand it has 3 axis' and then I plan on making a few mounts that will be on my heavy work bench so I can take it off the stand for heavy wrenching.

concrete guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #280
badassbrutus

That is Awsome..!!!^^^

AKA...Hemi Head
badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote