are gas additives needed for a stock 1975 fxe engine - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
harleyman75

Default are gas additives needed for a stock 1975 fxe engine

should i bother with a additive or simply purchase the highest octane available for a stock 74" engine---thanks
harleyman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
WhizzbangK.C.

Default Re: are gas additives needed for a stock 1975 fxe engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyman75 View Post
should i bother with a additive or simply purchase the highest octane available for a stock 74" engine---thanks
Try some 91, if it doesn't ping under hard pull try some 89, if it still runs OK try some 87. I find that they run best on the lowest octane that will run without pinging. If you ride it enough that you have to fill it often, and you have modern seals in the carb, petcock, and fuel line, ethanol really isn't even an issue. OTOH, if you seldom ride it and it sets for extended periods find non-ethanol fuel and run it to help keep moisture out and prevent fuel going bad. (That seems to happen much faster with ethanol fuel in my experience.) If you let it set you should also put Stabil or some other additive in it to help with that.
WhizzbangK.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #3
Stormin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzbangK.C. View Post
Try some 91, if it doesn't ping under hard pull try some 89, if it still runs OK try some 87. I find that they run best on the lowest octane that will run without pinging. If you ride it enough that you have to fill it often, and you have modern seals in the carb, petcock, and fuel line, ethanol really isn't even an issue. OTOH, if you seldom ride it and it sets for extended periods find non-ethanol fuel and run it to help keep moisture out and prevent fuel going bad. (That seems to happen much faster with ethanol fuel in my experience.) If you let it set you should also put Stabil or some other additive in it to help with that.
That's sound advice and exactly what I do. Sometimes I run a higher octane, perhaps if it's cold or higher altitude. Never really liked additives except in diesel engines, it seems to help in my older truck engines.
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
Rob Axel

It's not just the octane ... it's what is in the fuel.... non-ethenhol isn't the same as ethonhol free...plus depending on what your state allows .. will depend on what "gas " you actually get...
In Georgia, the best gas is crap compared to the worst gas in South Carolina .. I learned this years ago when I had car issues and detonation in a newer vehicle.
Yes, fuel makes a difference, but remember it isn't JUST about octaine .. the etenhol (no how how little it is ) will harden rubber ..
If you have a marina with "good fuel". Make the drive, put in some additive..and start from there....
Tuning is better, idle is better, and peice of mind ..... is better
So ... YES.. additives (with old motors).. is a nessary evil ..... remember unleaded gas???

Last edited by Rob Axel; 05-18-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Rob Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:19 AM   #5
nefareous

I use AVgas (aviation) in my older bikes...get some at your local air-park, where the small planes like Cessna or Piper Cub are flown.
nefareous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #6
farmall

No matter what fuel you run it's worth using "fuel injection" hose and throwing away any so-called "fuel line" or using it for shop air hoses instead.

I order Gates fuel injection hose via Ebay as it's much less expensive than buying locally. It makes excellent oil hose too.

"Fuel injection" style hose clamps function and look better than worm drive clamps. You could make them even sexier by replacing the screws with stainless socket head versions.

WhizzbangK.C. is dead on about moisture. Fuel is cheap. When in doubt, I drain my tanks. The petrol makes a fine (outdoor) degreaser.
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
shovithead

Here in Florida, they sell what is called "Offroad", or "Recreational" gas, and it is in 93, 91 and 89 octane, and is still leaded gas. They make it for contruction machines, mowers, and all vehicles made before 78 or around there. I get mine in 5 gallon gas cans, and use it exclusively in my bikes, and yeah, the mower too. Sold at regular gas stations. But, you can look it up online, and they list it by which stations have it available. Locally, there are probably 10 or more, within 5 miles of me. May be different in different states, but it works for me. I have not had ethanol gas in my bikes in a while. Only when I make the longer trips, and cant find a station that has it posted on the pricing sign. Sure saves me on carb maintenance, and pinging is not a problem, and additives are not needed.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
60 XLCH Doc Dytch*project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*
Non Dated, S&S Panhead with 65 swingarm *project*
shovithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefareous View Post
I use AVgas (aviation) in my older bikes...get some at your local air-park, where the small planes like Cessna or Piper Cub are flown.
Get to know the mechanic, during some maintenance or repairs the fuel system requires draining, since it cannot be re-used see if it can be purchased for cheap or even for free!
Had a weekend turbo DSM and would run higher boost on 100ll. Helps to have a family of private pilots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverbikes View Post
"Of the 2000 originally manufactured, only 4700 are known to survive."
thegreasepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
farmall

thegreasepit knows his stuff. My mentor was stationed in England during the 1950s. He was a crew chief and made sure every fuel sample filled a Mason jar then made its way into the Vincent Rapide he still owns.

BTW modern diesel owners sometimes use drained jet fuel in their vehicles since it's compatible with diesel engines. If I worked civilian jets I'd drive a diesel and build my own fuel bowser.
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #10
Rob Axel

Do they make a diesel motorcycle engine?!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #11
magnum45pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Axel View Post
Do they make a diesel motorcycle engine?!
Royal Enfield India do.....
. http://www.realclassic.co.uk/diesel05112800.html
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote