Hunt mag points question - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
reverb

Default Hunt mag points question

...hello; so I am here with this magneto. The instructions say that the point gap is .012 to .015. That s my doubt.
I put the roll paper and when the points start to open and can pull off the paper is done...but that no measure those numbers...seems a silly question but now I am confused about it.
When I take that measurement? Is the maximum gap? If its the max gap; after I pull off the paper and fasten the screws, continue rotating the engine to open more the points and then measure?

Thanks
reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
image1

Default Re: Hunt mag points question

set the points so the MAX gap is between .12 and .15 (do this before you mess with trying to set the actual timing. This can be done with the mag out of the bike)

Once points gap is set, position the mag so that the point JUST start to open at the appropriate timing mark.

done.

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
magnum45pete

set the points gap at .12-.15 at maximum cam lift before you install the magneto.

with the FRONT cylinder on Compression stroke, by hand bring the timing mark Vertical line, into the centre of the timing hole.

then rotate the magneto until the cam is just about to open the points. use a test light or a magneto timing light, a rolling paper is close but not really accurate for spot on timing.

when the points are just about to open, this is in full advance, so then set the advance screw so it wont become too far advanced..... fix the advance cable if fitted or retard the timing by hand for starting, then advance by hand when running and you should be sorted.
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
reverb

...thanks;
as mentioned I thought that those numbers were the max gap...
So after the points start to open I continued spinning the crank to obtain that max gap and I got .014.
May be the problem is that I have the magneto installed and the shaft with loctite et all. Still can I modify that gap? Is better to have less gap?. Point are new; in fact magneto is new.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
magnum45pete

If you are setting it while magneto is installed in the bike ....

1). turn motor until the points are at the max open position.(at this point forget about timing, you are for now, just setting the points gap)

2).then set the points to .012-.015.

3).THEN get the timing vertical line into the timing hole whilst on the FRONT CYLINDER COMPRESSURE STROKE !!(This is very important ,it cannot be set on the rear cylinder)

4).then twist the magneto until the timing light (or ciggie paper) tells you the points are just about to open, then set the advance screw so it will not advance more than is set.

4a) if you find the points cam & the timing mark come nowhere close to the point that the cam opens the points you have installed The Magneto either too early or too late and it will need to be removed from the motor, turn the drive a tooth on the drive gear and re-install and try again,... if still out but getting there repeat,... if still out but getting further out, reverse the direction you moved the drive gear and try again.

throughout this process DO NOT MOVE THE MOTOR FROM THE TIMING MARK IN THE TIMING HOLE!!!

5).the bike should now be timed at full advance,to start the bike, manually retard the timing & once running advance the magneto to the already set advance stops.

6).ride it like a scalded cat.

******TO FIND FRONT CYLINDER COMPRESSION STROKE REMOVE FRONT INLET PUSH ROD COVER. ROTATE THE MOTOR AND WHEN THE FOLLOWER GOES DOWN ITS ABOUT TO START THE COMPRESSION STROKE....... OR REMOVE REAR PLUG AND ROTATE THE MOTOR BY HAND TILL YOU FEEL THE COMPRESSION IN THE FRONT CYLINDER, THEN MOVE SLOWLY TILL THE TIMING MARK IS IN THE TIMMING HOLE***************************
Old 05-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
reverb

...these Triumphs have static timing no advance mechanism.
Yes, as mentioned I turned the engine and got .014 at max gap then followed turning until reach 38 BTDC so the points started to open then pulled off the cig paper.
When I find a buddy with a strobe light I will recheck.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
magnum45pete

Sorry, my Bad,
didn't realise you were talking Triumph,
thought it was on a Harley,... hahahaha
the front compression stroke part only counts on Harleys so ignore that bit,...
the rest should be universal pretty much for setting up a FM Type Magneto...
have fun, tell us how you get on...
I have never fitted one to a Triumph, but I do know you have to be careful with the taper where it locks on to the drive,....
Old 05-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
supercrouton

What year Triumph is this going on? If it is a unit bike, the above "careful" statement refers to the fact that the bolt that secures the mag drive to the taper in the exhaust cam is almost always too long. This defect will allow the magneto shaft to slip in the taper of the cam and your timing will go WAY out, and you will be stranded. The solution is to shorten the bolt so that it engages the cam's threads to a depth of at least 1.5x the width of the bolt itself. Best to time the bike once and skip the road-side frustration.

Angry Monkey Motorcycles official website
supercrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #9
reverb

...its a later 750 (UNF thread). I read about the bolt too large but I did not saw anything strange there. I had a problem with the shaft not fitted totally to the end. I used valve grinding paste to try to have a better fitment and used a liquid similar to Loctite.

I checked the bolt only then with the shaft and was very tight. I do not remember but may be 1/4 3/8 of thread more than the shaft.