Old crusty carb id - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
Timmy2times

Default Old crusty carb id

Hey i looked and looked for.thead to id my old crusty carb but couldnt find any so here i am new at this stuff does any ine know what carb and any info on it. I need a rebuild kit for it. I think its a zenith or bendix but not sure can u folks help a guy out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170506_200204_1494130567373.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	235122   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170506_200157_1494130584505.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	235130   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170506_200148_1494130598730.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	235138  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170506_200139_1494130614078.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	235146  
Timmy2times is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #2
Timmy2times

Oh ya it says harley davidson on the side but i cant find any serial numbera on it thanks for.the help in advance
Old 05-07-2017, 02:05 AM   #3
dbkp

Default Re: Old crusty carb id

late 70's/early 80's Kehin

Old 05-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
WhizzbangK.C.

Best rebuild option for that is replacement with almost anything else you can find. S&S, Mikuni, Kehin CV, etc.
WhizzbangK.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
Timmy2times

Thanks im going to get a 15 dollar rebuild kit for it and save for another
Old 05-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
Timmy2times

Also is there anything i should know about these carbs. Why do they suck? And what carb should i use for my 70 xlch 900 sporster. What carb would match that motor. It was easy with cars 600-650 cfm for my small bocks 750 for my big blocks. Any answers would help a ton.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
joe49

One for the I like them category. They are a easy carb to rebuild and work well with minimum trouble. They have fallen out of cool behind lots of other carbs. Like the CV kehin they really gum up fast with bad gas. No they are not a performance carb but will improve your Sporty. The big brother of the OEM is the Screaming Eagle 40mm (also sold by Andrews in the past) has no choke and uses a enrichener and is a great preformance carb. The same thing that makes them plug jets with bad gas also makes them well metered, meaning good mileage and operation.
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
joe49

In your 3rd pic by the base mount on the top of the carb is that round post sticking up with a plug in the top, remove the plug to access the idle screw.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
dbkp

I have run several of the first generation (76-77) fully adjustable versions on 900 sportsters with PB or PB plus cams and decent breathing pipes and have liked them for good all around performance. I had a 59 former hillclimb CH with XLR heads and XLRstraight pipes and PB cams that just screamed with a 76 Kehin on it, and had the bonus of no flat spots in the RPM mid range. If you use this carb with no motor mods and straight pipes you will have a bad flat spot mid range. You have to keep a good gas filter on them and use good gas because the small passages don't like dirt or crappy gas. Way easier starting than a bendix or Tillotson. There are better carbs out there for more money, but if these are well maintained they give good service. These were the first carbs Harley ever used on street bikes that was designed specifically for Harley motors, not just adapting some industry carb.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
Timmy2times

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
In your 3rd pic by the base mount on the top of the carb is that round post sticking up with a plug in the top, remove the plug to access the idle screw.
The one with the brass plug like on the old smog rochesters on cars? Sorry if cars come up but its my only reference at the moment since this is my first bike
Old 05-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
Timmy2times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkp View Post
I have run several of the first generation (76-77) fully adjustable versions on 900 sportsters with PB or PB plus cams and decent breathing pipes and have liked them for good all around performance. I had a 59 former hillclimb CH with XLR heads and XLRstraight pipes and PB cams that just screamed with a 76 Kehin on it,
and had the bonus of no flat spots in the RPM mid range. If you use this carb with no motor mods and straight pipes you will have a bad flat spot mid range. You have to keep a good gas filter on them and use good gas because the small passages don't like dirt or crappy gas. Way easier starting than a bendix or Tillotson. There are better carbs out there for more money, but if these are well maintained they give good service. These were the first carbs Harley ever used on street bikes that was designed specifically for Harley motors, not just adapting some industry carb.
I have p cams for it does that count what mod do i have to do to eliminate the mid range flat spot. The bike dont have to flat out fast yet but pribably next winter im going to switch to a ridged frame i have that needs a lil work and switch to p+ cams anf so forth im trying to get this bike on the road so i can ride it all summer find what i like about it and get rid of the stuff i dont. So being i have this carb im going to run it with a rebuild kit. I was saving for a mag for it but that may be pushed aside for cams and carb and just use the points dist i have for it. I need a carb that will let it start easy because im not using the electric start. Thank u folks for your say because i need to hear what they do and wont do since guys have all the experiance.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #12
dbkp

with the P cams, you really will need some back pressure, so 60's-70's stock duals, aftermarket duals or collectors with mufflers or baffles, or Drag pipes with baffles.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #13
joe49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy2times View Post
The one with the brass plug like on the old smog rochesters on cars? Sorry if cars come up but its my only reference at the moment since this is my first bike
yes
Old 05-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #14
geezer

I prefer Cycle Shack Tapered Duals although I don't think you can get them for an Ironhead anymore.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:17 PM   #15
Timmy2times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkp View Post
with the P cams, you really will need some back pressure, so 60's-70's stock duals, aftermarket duals or collectors with mufflers or baffles, or Drag pipes with baffles.
I have drag pipes for it i guess ill get some baffles for backpressure thats exactly the stuff i need to know for putting this basket case together. Thank u For the info i appreciate it for sure. I love this building a bike shit im not repairing quarters and windows full of rust a lot less space and a lot less time with a whole lot of fun after.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #16
Timmy2times

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy2times View Post
yes
Thanks joe your the man is there books or something on these carbs like i have for holley carbs and such
Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #17
joe49

Easyrider tech tips and tricks volume 2. Bendix S&S and Keihin adjustment in that one.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:30 AM   #18
JAWS

Joe nailed it. I like them but they take some tinkering. Like a quadrajet. Infact thats about the best comparison. In auto performance where does the quadrajet fit? Same for this carb, in the bike world wise.

I dont currently have a bike with one on it nor a car with a rochestor, so take it with a grain of salt.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #19
geezer

The Kehin butterfly is a solid carb for stock bikes. If you're going to use it on the 900 a 68 intermediate and 165 main are good starting points.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #20
joe49

OK don't look at me like I'm crazy, 'cause quadrajets are my favorites.