Lilith, my love. - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
Wisco Cal

Default Lilith, my love.

So I have been here a little while without posting up my own photos, I believe I got it figured out.

This bike is a redesigning of the one bike I always dreamt about riding when I first got on a bike, that I first built five years ago and have beaten every day and across the country, even through Wisconsin winters every morning when I didn't have a truck. She first had an 86" mild stroker with an Andrews BH cam. That was nice, but when I lost an oil line in Kentucky once and ran her out of oil, I needed new cylinders and pistons anyway, so I picked up some S&S big bore. I told the engine builder (the local wizard) that I would be riding it every day but would like as close to one of his old drag bike engines as he could get me, given some sacrifices for reliability. He wound up having an old S&S .495 sitting on a shelf, and I went with that. The last three years have been a blast. Nobody has been able to outrun my old girl at the stoplights, and I am lucky to be alive for a few of our adventures. But this year it was time for a complete overhaul. Last year I got a new Paughco frame because the old hardtailed stock HD frame had been broken and welded too many times & I was sick of moving around the stress point. Again since I was getting a new part, it was time for an upgrade. After using trigonometry for the forst time in my life I decided on a 40 degree rake for my 4" over old wide glide. But the frame showed up almost a month late, and I had no time to finish my fabrication ideas and instead bolted it back together in the new frame (with the minor mods necessary to do so) and rode her around bare metal until December.

The engine has gotten to leaking pretty good frome the base gaskets and the rat-bike compliments were bothering me. I had my frame and a Dick Allen inspired springer I machined up final welded and painted black imron at my buddy's shop. When I tore into the engine my cam was about to fail and I am luck I caught it. Running theme repeats itself and since I need to replace a part, it is gettimg upgraded. The .495 S&S cam with its long duration and overlap made for easy kicking and lots of fun in the higher rpm band. But the wizard's knucklehead dragbike had a Leineweber, and I have been obsessing over the day I finally got to try one. I got an L51, very similar to my old cam, but .013" more lift, a bit less duration and as much overlap. Once the new rings get broken in she should still be easy kicking, but the power should come on just a little bit sooner than I am used to. Plus those opening/closing ramps excited me.

Damaged lobes on my old S&S.

Old .495 profile.

New Leineweber pofile.

Another new thing with this rebuild included a total valvejob. New valves, seats, guides, seals... everything. I have been told many times that I am hard on equipment. Three years and so much damage? I guess 50,000 miles with a retard holding the throttle will do that. This year however I am trying my damnedest to break her in gentle. I want a few more than three years this time.

Frame with fresh paint.

And a teaser of my new front end, just for Jaws. The world needs more longbikes, and before I make the 25"-over rigid fork I had to give my beloved chopper the springer she had been yearned for. 8" overstock isnt all that long, but with my frame set up for a 4" over glide, it was the longest I felt comfortable with because I wanted my bike to still sit low.

Last edited by Wisco Cal; 04-30-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Wisco Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
rhysmort

Default Re: Lilith, my love.

Looking forward to this!!

Seems as though you know what you're doing to should be a nice quick turn around! haha.
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
Wisco Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmort View Post
Looking forward to this!!

Seems as though you know what you're doing to should be a nice quick turn around! haha.
Oh yeah I am already putting break in miles on. Hah! Can't wait to see what the new cam is hiding in the high rpm spectrum...

But anyway, the last few things new to the drivetrain are a homemade, single-row open chain primary; a modified Joe Hunt magneto to finally eliminate those disgusting batteries, and some black paint and speedholed fins. As we all know black bikes go faster.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Wisco Cal

The homemade primary mounted. Friday night I already lost a couple and broke a couple bolts holding the front sprocket to the hub I made from an old belt drive pulley. Four 1/4"-20 bolts wasn't enough apparently. I am going to go to eight and if that doesn't hold then 5/16"-24 is next.

I cut the sidewall off a new-old-stock rigid quickbob fender a brother had sitting around for years collecting rust. Cleaned up fine though.

My springer mocked up and rolling around before final welding and paint.

And the final mockup prior to teardown and all the work that went into the latest incarnation.

Now for no good reason I want to explain my old girl's name. Lilith. The original bitch. The first time I rolled her first build off the lift, she was new to a rigid frame and a four speed kicker. My engine came out of an FXR, but two years of riding a rubbermounted five speed button-only shovelhead seemed to me like sacrelige. The bike I built around the engine is what I grew up around and with everything new and never having kicked a stroker before the initial start up took two days of fighting, sweating, yelling and swearing. That first ride (in February, no less) was hard fought. But that is good. It motivated me to not stall it with the suicide clutch. First time I ever rode one, but I couldn't build my dream bike without it. Took a bit before I got the pedal ratio and clutch adjustment to be less of an on/off switch, but all of my bikes are foot clutch now. I don't like riding anything else. But back to the name; her conception came hard and she fought me from the start. A blackhearted bitch of biblical proportions. Or maybe even so bad the bible rejected the story... the story of Adam in paradise with his first wife. Created side by side with Adam, not Eve, but Lilith. The first woman that nobody told you about, because she started wanting to be treated as an equal, sitting on top, all that good shit. Well Adam & God didn't like that, and banished her from paradise, and made Adam a new wife out of a piece of him. That way she would always know her place as subservient to man. I'm not being sexist here its just how the story goes. Well Lilith was pissed. Swearing to devour any descendants of Eve she could. The original bitch. A demon. Perfect name to attribute to my beloved.

Last edited by Wisco Cal; 04-30-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
rhysmort

Looks good man! yeah my pal has a stroked Pan, I almost broke my leg kicking it. My 54 is still 74" 7:1 so easy as piss to kick!

I can't ride anything but foot clutch now either, feels so much more connected and natural to the machine than with hand controls! hope you've treated that frame so it doesn't rust through!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
Wisco Cal

And here she is as she sits now. The bungs in the gas tank are plugged in the picture because I couldn't find new fittings the proper size for the new red hose I got for the fuel guage. I am not the type of guy that would ordinarily run one of those, but a couple years ago Lilith & I went to the Smoke Out and in Kentucky my tank developed a crack and leaked no matter how much JB Weld I tried the remaining 500 miles to Rockingham. I can't go through that state without problems. At the Smoke Out I cleaned out my tank and searched for a welder, but none were to be found but one but the guy refused to weld on a gas tank. Man it was cleaned out with soapy water three times and I aired it out for a day in the 100 degree weather. Oh well, next best thing (actually wound up another improvement... funny how that keeps working out) was to pick up a new tank for a deal from Daniel Donnelly down there. He and SpAcey even let me borrow some tools to help persuade the tank to fit just right. Chopper folks are good people. I was fucked a thousand miles from home, and guys that didn't even know me came through. My only regrets are not having completed the stampede the year prior, and not talking to Richie Pan about a tattoo, because that ended up being the Smoke Out he left us. Wish I would have gotten to know him.

The bike is still a rolling state of improvement. I ran out of money and time, but the oil stained pipes and the tattered leather seat are yet to look nicer. The tank and fender are getting some pinstripes and the fuel guage hose should be added today before some more break in miles. Always moving forward.

Last edited by Wisco Cal; 04-30-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
Wisco Cal

Quote:
Looks good man! yeah my pal has a stroked Pan, I almost broke my leg kicking it. My 54 is still 74" 7:1 so easy as piss to kick!

I can't ride anything but foot clutch now either, feels so much more connected and natural to the machine than with hand controls! hope you've treated that frame so it doesn't rust through!
Thanks!

Like I said the overlap on the old cam made for easy kicking, but thr fresh seal of new piston rings is making this new one a chore to start. Plus new ignition and all that... fuck man I've been limping this week. Haha!

Yeah I painted the frame. I don't like trendy rusty frames, I just was too antsy to ride last year.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
rhysmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco Cal View Post
Thanks!

Like I said the overlap on the old cam made for easy kicking, but thr fresh seal of new piston rings is making this new one a chore to start. Plus new ignition and all that... fuck man I've been limping this week. Haha!

Yeah I painted the frame. I don't like trendy rusty frames, I just was too antsy to ride last year.
Yeah my frame is chipped but not rusty, not for me!! Yeah I'm sure once the rings seal and sit in nicely it'll be better. My pals is over 90" and jesus when the thing kicks back it was like a buffalo!!

Looks really good painted!
Old 04-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
Wisco Cal

Quote:
Yeah my frame is chipped but not rusty, not for me!! Yeah I'm sure once the rings seal and sit in nicely it'll be better. My pals is over 90" and jesus when the thing kicks back it was like a buffalo!!

Looks really good painted!
I have kicked a bone stock 80" evo that had crazy cranking compression because of the over-conservative stock cam. My scrawny ass could about jump on the thing with no success until we got it dialed in.

And I want to put the plug out there for my buddy Ryan, who did the paint at his shop, Paragon Customs. He won best of show at Donnie Smith last year and was an invited artist at SEMA two years ago. He urged me to keep this looking nice for awhile, but he knows what I put it through.

Ryan's "Twisted Pan"

Edit: Got the fuel guage installed and had enough red hose leftover for the fuel line itself. Right on!

Last edited by Wisco Cal; 04-30-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 PM   #10
Wisco Cal

So a long week dealing with magneto condensation after riding in the rain, my primary's front sprocket twisting off, fouled plugs and this morning breaking the welds and shearing bolts in my clutch basket. I guess "I wonder if this will be strong enough?" Isn't good enough for making driveline components. Fuck I haven't even gotten to wind up this cam yet!

But all is good after a pissed off trailer ride home before heading off to work, then a quick swap back to the old skinny belt primary until I can get this reengineered or a 3" belt. Whichever comes first. Sure looks good after dark though.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
JAWS

Any updates on this sick chop?

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
Wisco Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Any updates on this sick chop?
Not really, just been breaking it in... again. My dumb ass was in too big a hurry when I put it together last month that I put the reverse-torsion compression ring in the rear cylinder upside down. It had been spewing burnt oil out the rear pipe & I knew it wasnt an exhaust valve. Tore her down thinking the rings didn't seat and instead the second ring on the rear was recognizably wrong.

Dot up, bevel down. Don't rush your work or stupid little shit will happen. New gaskets and about four hours labor (with some running back & forth for parts and shit talking) set me back. On the brightside she is starting easier and not making a huge mess!
Old 05-13-2017, 02:31 AM   #13
JAWS

I hate it when that happens. Lol. Not the only one who has done that, wont be the last.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote