Anyone ever used Tamiya RC car paint on their bikes? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
jhays79
Senior Member
 
jhays79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 463
Default Anyone ever used Tamiya RC car paint on their bikes?

I recently bought a Tamiya Frog rc car and built it up and painted it. I had cars back when I was a kid and the nostalgia factor really grabbed me. Anyway, I used Tamiya spray paints for the body. They have a ton of colors, and it's a lacquer that's already impervious to fuel and oil. The cans aren't cheap but they spray nice. Anyone ever used something like this on their tanks or fenders?
__________________
My stripped down dirt-track/ 60's inspired BSA Lightning project.
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=191057

https://www.instagram.com/gypsy_nightmare/
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
farmall
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Cacklackie
Posts: 236
Default Re: Anyone ever used Tamiya RC car paint on their bikes?

Sounds like a good idea! You could spray some test pieces and see how they turn out.
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
jhays79
Senior Member
 
jhays79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 463
Default Re: Anyone ever used Tamiya RC car paint on their bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall View Post
Sounds like a good idea! You could spray some test pieces and see how they turn out.
I might try it out on the battery box I need to paint. I'll post my results when I do it.
__________________
My stripped down dirt-track/ 60's inspired BSA Lightning project.
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=191057

https://www.instagram.com/gypsy_nightmare/
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
magnum45pete
Senior Member
 
magnum45pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brighton England
Posts: 1,340
Default Re: Anyone ever used Tamiya RC car paint on their bikes?

Tamiya paints are an Acrylic,.....
nothing special other than some of the colours they offer.
acrylic paint is good for Bike parts and is hard wearing,
but on it's own it is effected by Petrol (gas/fuel/motion lotion)...
make sure the clear you use is fuel proof before using it on a tank.
here in England a model paint everyone used is ''HUMBROL'',
it is an enamel and available in many colours (including metalics) and pot sizes from 14ML to 50ML and spray cans.
good for pin-striping & airbrush work. https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/humbrol-wallchart
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
jhays79
Senior Member
 
jhays79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 463
Default Re: Anyone ever used Tamiya RC car paint on their bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum45pete View Post
Tamiya paints are an Acrylic,.....
nothing special other than some of the colours they offer.
acrylic paint is good for Bike parts and is hard wearing,
but on it's own it is effected by Petrol (gas/fuel/motion lotion)...
make sure the clear you use is fuel proof before using it on a tank.
here in England a model paint everyone used is ''HUMBROL'',
it is an enamel and available in many colours (including metalics) and pot sizes from 14ML to 50ML and spray cans.
good for pin-striping & airbrush work. https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/humbrol-wallchart

The paint I'm talking about is already fuel and oil resistant as seen here on the Tamiya website. I'd probably use a clear on top anyway though.
https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/pain...rbonate)-61700
__________________
My stripped down dirt-track/ 60's inspired BSA Lightning project.
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=191057

https://www.instagram.com/gypsy_nightmare/
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
yard man
Senior Member
 
yard man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 1,255
Default Re: Anyone ever used Tamiya RC car paint on their bikes?

Ive painted my bike with model paint before looked good for a little while then the sun started to change the color. But i didnt clear over it. If you clear it itd probably hold up well
yard man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #7
drumrooster
Senior Member
 
drumrooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: somerset ky
Posts: 963
Default Re: Anyone ever used Tamiya RC car paint on their bikes?

warm the cans up with a heat gun when you spray it. and shake the piss outta the can..if you can lay out a RC car you can do a tank easy..I "ve done both..if your gonna do several colors? I would think about getting someone to clear it with good automotive enamel? but not sure if it would react with the rattle can enamel? that way yr cool paint job would be protected..you can also buy some high grade automotive clear in a can that has a hardner in it when you break the can open..check on that too..again spray a test peice and then clear it and wait a few days to see if it reacts?eather way a good fuel resistant clear is the ticket.
__________________
"NO PICTURE. NEVER HAPPENED..."
drumrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
jhays79
Senior Member
 
jhays79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 463
Default Re: Anyone ever used Tamiya RC car paint on their bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumrooster View Post
warm the cans up with a heat gun when you spray it. and shake the piss outta the can..if you can lay out a RC car you can do a tank easy..I "ve done both..if your gonna do several colors? I would think about getting someone to clear it with good automotive enamel? but not sure if it would react with the rattle can enamel? that way yr cool paint job would be protected..you can also buy some high grade automotive clear in a can that has a hardner in it when you break the can open..check on that too..again spray a test peice and then clear it and wait a few days to see if it reacts?eather way a good fuel resistant clear is the ticket.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, i was thinking of using Spray Max 2k over the color to help protect it. I'll test a piece out before i commit to make sure they don't react.
__________________
My stripped down dirt-track/ 60's inspired BSA Lightning project.
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=191057

https://www.instagram.com/gypsy_nightmare/
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:10 AM   #9
blewcrab
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: home
Posts: 4
Default Re: Anyone ever used Tamiya RC car paint on their bikes?

my problem was the hinge on the rear fender , cracking and chipping . my paint is house of color ..candy apple burgundy ...I went to the local nail salon and picked out a color that matched great , and it was only 3.95
blewcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.