72 Norton restoration - Page 4 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #61
whittiger650

Cool Re: 72 Norton restoration

Cycle Goon, you are right, that is a nice shade of Orange for a Norton. The only other Orange I would like on a Norton would be the Honda Flake Sunrise Orange which is a beautiful color

"
And now you do what they told ya"
whittiger650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 05:43 AM   #62
Goldy

Default Re: 72 Norton restoration

I do like that orange ^^^ The owner dropped out last night and colours were one of the things we discussed. He was leaning toward black (of course), but after we talked a while he thought Brit racing green with gold striping might be a good combination. Anyhow, I suggested he google Norton Commando colours and have a look around for inspiration...we're still a long way from paint. Meanwhile, the switches have all been dismantled/ checked and cleaned, new horn is in place, carbs are ready for mounting and new front and rear fenders are on the way.

Last edited by Goldy; 03-01-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #63
Cycle Goon

Don't immediately pooh pooh a black set of tins. While it is the most common, a good black paint job with painted logos and pin striping on a freshly gone over bike look WONDERFUL. I really like that burgundy color Norton offered. While I think the flake paint colors look wicked, I don't know if I could live with one for an extended period of time. Please, ANYTHING but yellow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cycle Goon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #64
Cycle Goon

Any updates???????? I'm having withdraw symptoms as I can only make vroom vroom noises on my Commando Maybe able to take her out this weekend though for a bit
Old 01-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #65
Goldy

Yes, progress has been a little slow, but some has been made. Got the carbs mounted and the throttle and air cables fitted, then turned my attention to the coils and mounting brackets. They tested good and cleaned up well, so they can be returned to service. I know it's kind of silly putting time in on something like this, but I even got the little reflectors suitable for further service. As I mentioned in the last posting, the fenders are on the way...things may slow down a bit, but I'm sure this thing will be on the road this spring. When the fenders arrive, that will give me something else to tinker with...getting closer all the time. A wiring harness, exhaust system and electronic ignition will have this thing just about up and running.

Carbs in place:

Rusty refelctors...

Coils reflectors and air cleaner cover ready to go:

Last edited by Goldy; 03-01-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #66
Cycle Goon

So, when is the first firing?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #67
Goldy

Well Goon, I can't say for sure, but hopefully within a month or less....if I got really excited about it, I would have some fire in it's belly in as soon as next week. :P

Last edited by Goldy; 03-01-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #68
Cycle Goon

If you need a break from that one, I'll send you mine to work on
Old 01-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #69
Cycle Goon

Updates?? I live vicariously though you as I'm too busy to work on mine at the moment
Old 01-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #70
Goldy

It was a slow week in the shop, coupled with terrible weather Tuesday and Wednesday...mainly being help up for parts on EVERYTHING. I did get the coils mounted and some new plug wires and caps fitted. Fabricated a nice little cover for the ignition system using a bit of aluminum and an old points cover from a later model engine...frankly I think it's an improvement over the standard unit. Missing the head steady, so went on Ebay and found a used, but complete mark III version...also found a nice little oil pressure gauge and fittings for a very low price...about 10 times less than a pre-made kit would cost...all I'll have to do is modify one of the rocker caps, fabricate a gauge mount and I should be in business. I was on the blower the other day ordering most of the other bits and pieces I'll need to get the machine almost ready to ride...and the owner even found a little box of odds and ends with the side covers in it...also the missing brake caliper (too late for that now). I got the shipping notice for the parts order today, so I expect those goodies will arrive by very early next week...the Ebay stuff probably won't show up for at least three weeks.

Last edited by Goldy; 03-01-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #71
Goldy

Ok, some of the parts came in and things got under way again. Funny how something a simple as fitting an air filter can turn into a two hour job...it seems like the new filters and screens are thicker than the old ones used to be and this doesn't give you enough room to put the rubber gaiters in place. So that means the carbs have to be removed, the gaiters fitted to them and then the whole works gets crammed back into the space between the engine and air filter. In any case I managed to keep from inventing any new cuss words and the air filter assembly is now stuck in there where it belongs.
The Ebay head steady arrived too (from a mKIII) and that bolted up nicely after having to fabricate a spring holder. Replaced the clutch cable and made some adjustments to the mechanism that seem to have made it a bit easier to pull. Then it was on with the electrical system and the new electronic ignition...the ignition went in easily, but this harness does not colour match with the old one in all connections. A new harness should have made this an easy job, but in this case it is going to take some time and there are so many redundant wires on it that I think I would have been better off simply making a harness for it myself. Well, that's hindsight for you...I've got it now, so I'm going to make it work. At least it will look pretty. As of today, I have ignition , next week should have all the lights working. Also got a new set of head pipes for a very low price, they were supposed to be scratched, but I'll be damned if I can tell where.

$600.00 worth of parts here believe it or not.

Pretty much tells it all for this week; air filter, head steady and a mess of wiring:

Old 02-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #72
CookieMonster

In my book, it's highly important that wiring looks pretty.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #73
Goldy

It's been another slow week with family medical appointments taking priority, but I did get a few hours here and there to have a little fun in the shop. I found out why the wiring harness wasn't working out so well...they sent me the wrong headlight harness. Replaced that with the correct one and everything went together just like it should have. Got lights, ignition etc, one major step closer to having it running.
The front and rear fenders showed up...five days shipping time from India to Nova Scotia, not too shabby. The fenders themselves are hand made and the chrome is as smooth as a baby's arse. I got the rear one made without the holes, so I could drill them myself and make sure everything lined up properly. Then just when I was testing the tail light out, the electrical system seemed to have failed completely. I wont go into great detail, but it came down to me changing a dodgy looking three way connector with a better one...trouble was that the one I put on did not allow the five wires connecting to it to share a common power supply, I had used one from a tail light connection that keeps the connections separate...after three hours of grumbling and scratching my head, I won't make that mistake again!

New rear fender and tail light:

New front fender:

Old 02-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #74
richbob

Well thats cool ordering from india.
you communicated your requirements? and was slick?

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #75
flatford39

Thank you for the update. I have been watching this one from the start as I am in the process of bringing a T-140V Triumph back from the dead.

What is your process for restoring the rust on the stainless rims. Yours are turning out a lot better than mine.

Are you using a dremel tool and different abrasive polishing wheels???
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #76
Goldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbob View Post
Well thats cool ordering from india.
you communicated your requirements? and was slick?
Yes, no problem with communication. I deal with them quite often and I have never been less than satisfied with the products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford39 View Post

What is your process for restoring the rust on the stainless rims. Yours are turning out a lot better than mine.

Are you using a dremel tool and different abrasive polishing wheels???
The rims aren't stainless...that would have been too easy. I thought I was going to have to replace the rims and spokes, but luckily the chrome was still in good enough condition between the rust speckles and dirt for the rims to clean up nicely. I used penetrating oil combined with brass wire brushes and later on a polishing wheel with rouge to tidy them up the rest of the way...if the chrome is totally shot, the isn't much you can do other than relace a new set of rims or resort to paint or powder coat.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #77
Cycle Goon

I can't wait to see this thing finished
Old 02-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #78
Goldy

So...got a few things done this week. Made up an oil pressure gauge...I was particularly interested in fitting this after having repaired the end of the crankshaft...if anything were to happen to that repair oil would simply flow past the seal and into the crankcase instead of the crankshaft. The on-line kits are ridiculously expensive, so I decided to try to adapt an automotive unit. Fabricated a bracket to hold the gauge between the handlebar clamps and then fabricated a fitting to mount the oil pressure line to the engine rocker arm covers...I am rather proud of this little item as I machined and threaded the three fittings together, then soldered them permanently in place to eliminate the possibility of any leaks developing around the threaded sections. The gauge shows oil pressure after kicking the engine over about five or six times. Oil flow to the tank is confirmed as well. The seat pan was in serious need of attention, so the fibreglass was repaired, a new seat bracket was fitted and I am now ready for a seat cover. A very nice shade of British Racing green metalic has been acquired, but I will wait until the weather warms up a bit before painting. it's almost ready to run...in fact I'm sure it would run right now with a little fuel in the IV unit..but I'll wait until I get the mufflers before I do that.

Oil pressure gauge...about 10x more cost effective than the kits:

Rocker arm cover fitting:

Old 02-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #79
Cycle Goon

Looking good! I am always excited to see updates on this bike
Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #80
CookieMonster

That little fitting is really neat, I like it.