72 Norton restoration - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 11-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #41
Goldy

Default Re: 72 Norton restoration

Got the carbs all cleaned up inside and out...not much wear on the slides or the mixing chamber bore, they should work well. And last night around suppertime, a knock comes at the door and there is my buddy with the frame and other bits and pieces...he does some damn fine work for a very reasonable price. Now I can start putting a roller back together again...that is, as soon as I finish painting the kitchen cupboards for the boss of me. Restorations I love, renovations I hate...besides, the painting was supposed to be HER part of the job! :P

Carbs:

Powder coated:

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #42
Cycle Goon

It's going to be hard to believe that it is the same bike you started with. That frame is looking FANTASTIC
Cycle Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #43
lilbill

just lovely

Old 12-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #44
Goldy

OK...kitchen cupboards are done...with that out of the way I got back at the bike. Straightened out and polished the instrument cups, installed the front end after turning a missing wheel spacer, then got the engine and transmission in the frame...new isolastics too. Swing arm was installed following that. Then took a look at the shocks...I was thinking I would need to replace them, but on closer examination I decided that they might be able to be cleaned up (by now it should be obvious that I prefer to repair rather than replace things). Took 'em apart to make sure they weren't leaking and that they actually still worked, then gave them a good clean up and some fresh paint. After checking out the ridiculously high price of a replacement tail light fairing, I decided that it would be well worth the effort to repair the old one...just some cracks in the gelcoat, but I was glad I wasn't fiddling around with it while mama hornet was nesting inside. That's about it for this week.

instrument cups

engine and transmission back in place

crusty shocks

shocks after clean up

mama hornet's nursery

Old 12-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #45
CookieMonster

Goldy, is this just a lucky score that you are going to sell on or is it a keeper? It's looking great so far. If you intend to sell it you'll have way more punters with a solid & clean rider with used parts than a showroom item - must put people off knowing that an hours worth of riding means a day's worth of polishing. Keep it coming, I'm filing all your tricks away for future use.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #46
Goldy

No, this one isn't mine (although I am getting attached to it), I'm doing it for a friend.
I hope he takes care of it...I did one of this up for a neighbour a few years back and he let it get filthy, so and I grossed him out for it...he was afraid to bring it 'round after that without cleaning it up first.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:41 AM   #47
Goldy

Things are progressing...got the primary installed and the cover polished and mounted. The oil tank was in terrible shape outside, but inside it was almost spotless...managed to get it cleaned up and it now sports several coats of shiny black paint. Gauges were cleaned up, fitted with new bezels and reglazed in Lexan...try breaking them now! After checking the cost of a replacement tail light fairing, I decided it was worth while trying to fix up all the cracking. Body work is not my strong point, but I must be getting better at it, because it came out quite nicely.

Oil tank

Gauges before and after:

Primary drive:

Tail light fairing

Old 12-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #48
Ratso

Way better than new.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #49
Cycle Goon

Those gauges are making me horny they look so good! I've got a pair of Commandos that I'm going to send you.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #50
govmule84
Wannabe Hipster

Looking exceptional.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #51
Goldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Goon View Post
Those gauges are making me horny they look so good! I've got a pair of Commandos that I'm going to send you.
Giving away Commando's now are we? You are going to have a lot of friends before you know it...I'll take as many as you got!
Old 12-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #52
CookieMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
No, this one isn't mine (although I am getting attached to it), I'm doing it for a friend.
I hope he takes care of it...I did one of this up for a neighbour a few years back and he let it get filthy, so and I grossed him out for it...he was afraid to bring it 'round after that without cleaning it up first.

Didn't mean to say that what your doing isn't worth looking after...just that some 'concourse' restorers take it over the top with matching original parts / finishes and so on. This is way cooler, and hopefully the owner won't be afraid to ride the shit out of it... I would.

Clocks look beautiful.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #53
Goldy

No worries Cookie, I knew what you meant, I'm a stubborn bastard who clings to my ideals
and won't work for people who only want to have a machine as a living room ornament and concourse machines 'tend' to be treated that way (no disrespect to concourse builders intended...amazingly perfect work is indeed amazing). I say "ride 'em, don't hide 'em", after all, that's what they were meant for, right?! God knows my own bikes are not exactly spotless, I just try to keep 'em 'reasonably' tidy.

Last edited by Goldy; 12-09-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:21 AM   #54
KELD

Fantastic
KELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #55
jhays79

Looking good! It's gotta be hard to give that bike up after your done building it!

https://www.instagram.com/gypsy_nightmare/
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #56
Cycle Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
Looking good! It's gotta be hard to give that bike up after your done building it!
Money always makes that easier
Old 12-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #57
Goldy

Things have been moving a little slower over the past couple of weeks...I guess I can blame it on the holiday season and an elderly relative landing herself in hospital...then there was the three snow storms I had to clean up after last week too...now is "the winter of my discontent" indeed, and I've got at least another three months to put up with. Bah- humbug! :P
Anyhow, I did find some time to tinker with the Commando. The master cylinder was pretty full of gunk, but I managed to get it cleaned up...after fitting it with new seals, it bled through to the brake caliper in no time at all and the machine has a good front brake now.
I dismantled the handlebar switches, cleaned out the spider egg sacs and the contacts and mounted them onto the bars. Got the foot peg brackets etc bolted on and fitted a new headlight shell and mounting brackets...I was sorely tempted to do a little custom fabrication work for brackets, but resisted the urge and just replaced the old rusty ones. Clutch, rear brake, tachometer and speedometer cables are on as well. Since the local chrome shop has changed hands yet again, I thought I would give them a shot at the fenders, but at $600.00 plus tax, I decided for that cost they could stuff 'em where the sun don't shine...pricing themselves out of a job...I can get new ones for half the cost. I'll be ordering new replacements soon. And with that I will bid you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy 2017!

Gunky master cylinder:

Latest progress:

Last edited by Goldy; 03-01-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #58
Cycle Goon

That's really starting to take shape! What are your thoughts for the tank and side covers? Are you going to do the paint work yourself? What color are you leaning towards?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #59
Goldy

The original colour on this one was orange (not a personal favorite). I'll be doing the paint work myself, but I'll let the client decide what he wants for paint. Personally, I like to cut lose a tiny bit from the traditional standard paint work on this sort of machine while still trying to remain true to it being what might be considered "period correct"...and not stray tooooo far from the original look of the machine. I'm not sure what he will want, but I hope he is willing to go with something other than black with gold or silver striping. Not that they don't look really good black, I'm just getting tired of painting so many of them in that scheme.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #60
Cycle Goon

The only thing worse than orange on a Commando is yellow. I really like the burgundy color. My favorite is the centennial they did on the 75's but being this is a 72, I vote for the burgundy or whatever that dark red is called. There was a guy on accessnorton selling a tank and side covers in this dark orange metal flake that looked absolutely amazing. Not a factory color per say but it looked fantastic and not like you painted it to modern/strayed too far and would be perfect for this.

http://www.accessnorton.com/beautifu...et-t25411.html