Angry Monkey Motorcycles LONG bike Build thread - Page 8 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #141
cajun

Default Re: Angry Monkey Motorcycles LONG bike Build thread

Wow, this thing just gets better and better. I absolutely love this bike. Impatiently waiting for finished product. Hats off to you sir.
cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2017, 11:31 PM   #142
selectedgrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Thanks for the pictures and inspiration.
Yes, appreciate it.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #143
supercrouton

More updates! And thanks for the kinds words guys!

The client wants to have the option of having his girl ride with him, or having a way to haul gear on longer rides. So in addition to the pillion pad I figured a luggage rack could fit on the same bungs. Soooooo, here's what I did...

First up was cutting and welding bungs to the rear fender, which presented its own problems. Getting the threaded bungs on the fender in the right position was the first issue, since basically the fender is a compound curve, I couldn't simply mark where to position the bungs AND have them sit level with each other left-to-right. So here was my solution; transfer the pillion's grommet centers to card stock, punch the holes, sandwich the card between the bungs then I had only to check squareness off the sissy. All that was left was to double-triple-quadruple check everything and tack them in place, then double-check them again just to be sure.

The grommets in the pillion were not perfectly square, so I split the differences dimensionaly so my bungs would be perfectly square. The pillion was able to stretch a bit to fit on my bungs. The pic below is not where the bungs actually attached, it is only to show how the card holds them level and at the right distance.

installed!

Next was the rack. The goal was to loosely replicate the style of rack on vintage Triumph gas tank racks. Here is step two. I skipped showing cutting this buck out and heating/bending 5/16" stainless bar stock because I only have two hands at this time Step three was tweaking the rectangle a bit and welding the ends together

This is after filing the union and blasting the ring so the supports will be clean to weld on.

Steps were skipped in the excitement to build my first rack. Sorry, not sorry. Here is the finished rack, which is by the way level with the bottom frame rails.

Angry Monkey Motorcycles official website

Last edited by supercrouton; 05-15-2017 at 12:50 PM.
supercrouton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #144
supercrouton

One other thing got done this week, the oil pressure gauge mount. I turned a counter bored bung for a head bolt and used a bit of steel tube and some 1/4" stainless rod to hold this guy in just the right spot to be viewed from the saddle.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #145
Dan Boy

Brilliant detailing as always Dan - great stuff.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic21807_5.gif

Blown Triple Build

When I was a boy, I thought about being a biker. Now I'm a biker, I think about being a boy.
Dan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #146
CookieMonster

I love that gauge mount Dan, that's a really nice detail. The thing itself looks tiny, what does that measure?
Old 05-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #147
supercrouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boy View Post
Brilliant detailing as always Dan - great stuff.
Thanks Dan! This thing is detailing me to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
I love that gauge mount Dan, that's a really nice detail. The thing itself looks tiny, what does that measure?
Thanks! That gauge face is about 1.5" wide.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #148
JAWS

Details schmeetails....they are great and all. Real cool and functional. What I want to know is how does it feel? Not how do you feel... you use your hands, I know that.

I am waiting for the first ride report.

Because.... we in the long bike community could use a man if your stature.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #149
supercrouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Details schmeetails....they are great and all. Real cool and functional. What I want to know is how does it feel? Not how do you feel... you use your hands, I know that.

I am waiting for the first ride report.

Because.... we in the long bike community could use a man if your stature.
Haha! If you are waiting for a ride report, you better buckle up for a long wait. This bike is nowhere near being done. The engine has barely been cracked open and the tins are at least a month away from going through the body shop/design/paint process.

As far as how I "feel"...... uh, well, I feel like the bike is starting to come together as a package Honestly, though, I'm not getting a special fuzzy feeling about this bike (or any bike at this stage). There are too many things that are still unresolved for that. Final assembly is when I get excited. When all the planning, problem-solving, engineering, fabrication, and paint/art all come together as a unified product, that is when I know whether or not to celebrate, and breath a sigh of relief. I see things in this world as symmetrical, or asymmetrical. I see patterns in everything and they are either even or odd, I see overall designs as full, finished, functional, and pleasing, or lumpy, disjointed and lacking. I can see potential, but I only get excited about a finished product. Is that what you are looking for Brant? If not, sorry about the existential, metaphorical rant.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #150
Lester

I got alittle excited about that oil gauge braket.... similar to my gauge brackets only much better.... lol. Its not easy to build a cool and practical choppa but it looks like you're about to pull that off too.

Lester
'75 BMW R90 stock
'83 BMW R100 commuter
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'70s Jawa speedway DT500
'80 couple og Jap bikes too
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #151
2Loose

Its coming together very nicely...
Am enjoying the build...
Willy
2Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #152
Rob Axel

Might I suggest a book that may elevate some "creative" issues...

The War of Art..
Old 05-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #153
image1

Quote:
Is that what you are looking for Brant? If not, sorry about the existential, metaphorical rant.
enjoyed the rant, and can relate. However, i think Jaws was looking for your feelings about riding a LONG BIKE! sounds as if he will have to wait.

lookin' good btw. Not an easy task to fulfill all of your customers' desires, and still come out with something that looks good!

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #154
JAWS

Joel is right..... however, I can relate. I am excited though as I know you are very talented and a long bike from your stable is bound to be epic. Im just stoked that a one is getting smoe love from you. No pressure or expectations here just a statement of fact. You build fantastic bikes. Ive liked them all and the process is great to learn from.

If I have to wait, I know it will be worth it. But I dont have to like waiting. Im glad you take pictures. They are like hits to an addict.

Puff puff pass.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #155
supercrouton

As usual, I am in left field. Sorry for the weird rant then

Small update...

The custom pillion pegs are in their final place. I had my wife hop up there and check the fit. Did I mention this is the first time I've built a two-up bike? I figured it would be uncomfortable, but she says she easily ride back there with no problem. I took a little length off the pegs too, since the knuckle puts them further out.

When folded, they will be at the same angle as the sissy.

This bike is getting a motogadget m-unit. The place I selected to put it was beneath the saddle. The reason the mount tabs are above the unit is, when the unit is centered with the tubing (profile view), the brackets would be visible from below, and they would meet the tubing at a very steep angle. The client does not want ANY wiring run through the frame tubing, so I will have to come up with an attractive way to manage it along the tubing.

I FINALLY completed metal finishing the balance of the exhaust pipes. This meant finishing the other mounting brackets. to keep things rigid and uncluttered up front, I mounted the exhaust to the existing forward control bungs. There is also a mount in the seat-post area, and at the end of the cocktail shakers. Pics of those will follow later.

This bike had to have a horn to be legal. Horns are unsightly. After weighing all the unoccupied space, I settled on the area next to the magneto on a simple bracket. Please ignore the fact that there is no nut on that stud

I got this jewel from Dan at Franz and Grubb too. A 1" polished alloy Amal single-carb throttle assembly. Next will be narrowing the bars and getting the GMA controls up there to see how it all looks up high. I got the headlight mount finished too, but will wait to post pics of it until I can push it outside again.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #156
WhizzbangK.C.

My (admittedly one time) experience with welding brackets to exhaust pipes like that resulted in a very quick failure. Tore the bracket right off leaving a clean hole all the way around the weld area. Ever since I tend to gusset exhaust brackets to spread the load better to withstand vibration and expansion. YMMV
WhizzbangK.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #157
supercrouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzbangK.C. View Post
My (admittedly one time) experience with welding brackets to exhaust pipes like that resulted in a very quick failure. Tore the bracket right off leaving a clean hole all the way around the weld area. Ever since I tend to gusset exhaust brackets to spread the load better to withstand vibration and expansion. YMMV
There are a LOT of things at play in securing an exhaust system: rigidity of engine mount in relation to the frame, number and quality of exhaust pipe mounts, length of pipes, weight of mufflers if used, wall thickeness of pipe, quality of pipe steel, quality of welds (temperature? Undercut? Porosity? Back purging? or lack thereof), time lapsed; rust?, and who knows what else

I tend to over-kill exhaust mounts. Most of my builds with short pipes will have four to six exhaust mounts. This chopper and the one below have pipes secured in six places (one mount is hidden on back of pipes in the area of the shift peg). I have yet for a mount to fail, and I hope I never do.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #158
thomassuman@mac.com

you may want to try this once just to check it out - no welding - easy to lose if you don't like it - plus i'm sure with your talent you could make it more attractive
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	577.8 KB
ID:	235634

do this and the pipe will never shake loose
flat stock between both pipe clamps and a p clamp to the frame on each pipe
mine has been on for 7 years and never moved
Old 05-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #159
supercrouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomassuman@mac.com View Post
you may want to try this once just to check it out - no welding - easy to lose if you don't like it - plus i'm sure with your talent you could make it more attractive
Attachment 235634

do this and the pipe will never shake loose
flat stock between both pipe clamps and a p clamp to the frame on each pipe
mine has been on for 7 years and never moved
That is a brilliant mod! I remember seeing your post about this years ago and thinking if I ever had a chronic issue, I'd give it a shot.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #160
VonWegener

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrouton View Post
When folded, they will be at the same angle as the sissy.
That's why we love Dan's work!

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angry monkey motorcycles, chopper, triumph