Jockey Journal Forum banner

Anyone ever used Tamiya RC car paint on their bikes?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  blewcrab 
#1 ·
I recently bought a Tamiya Frog rc car and built it up and painted it. I had cars back when I was a kid and the nostalgia factor really grabbed me. Anyway, I used Tamiya spray paints for the body. They have a ton of colors, and it's a lacquer that's already impervious to fuel and oil. The cans aren't cheap but they spray nice. Anyone ever used something like this on their tanks or fenders?

#4 ·
Tamiya paints are an Acrylic,.....
nothing special other than some of the colours they offer.
acrylic paint is good for Bike parts and is hard wearing,
but on it's own it is effected by Petrol (gas/fuel/motion lotion)...
make sure the clear you use is fuel proof before using it on a tank.
here in England a model paint everyone used is ''HUMBROL'',
it is an enamel and available in many colours (including metalics) and pot sizes from 14ML to 50ML and spray cans.
good for pin-striping & airbrush work. https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/humbrol-wallchart

#5 ·
#7 ·
warm the cans up with a heat gun when you spray it. and shake the piss outta the can..if you can lay out a RC car you can do a tank easy..I "ve done both..if your gonna do several colors? I would think about getting someone to clear it with good automotive enamel? but not sure if it would react with the rattle can enamel? that way yr cool paint job would be protected..you can also buy some high grade automotive clear in a can that has a hardner in it when you break the can open..check on that too..again spray a test peice and then clear it and wait a few days to see if it reacts?eather way a good fuel resistant clear is the ticket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.