Jockey Journal Forum banner

Powdercoat or rattlecan?

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  TurboRoadster 
#1 ·
I'm waffling back and forth. I can get my frame, swingarm, and wheel hubs/rims powdercoated for a decent price. It's durable, but if it does chip, well, it's kinda hard to touch up.

I can spray bomb them with appliance epoxy for a really decent price, and easily touch up, but not nearly as durable.

What else do I need to consider here to make a decision. What are you guys doing?

Z

#2 ·
All my shit is black powdercoat with clear powdercoat over it. It's damn near indestructible. My guy charges "half again" for clear on top. Meaning if it's $100 to do the stuff just black, it's $150 to do black and clear. I'm happy I did it this way.

#14 ·
Rattlecan! Depending on the build. Nice resotration then nice paint/powdercoat. Rat bike or rattletrap bike then rattle it!!! My last build is a 49 Pan and I rattlecanned it, no worries. I have a 56 Pan that is painted nice but it is my 49 that I seem to ride all the time. It is nice to have decisions like this and that is why we like the process of building them.

#15 ·
Go for the rattlecan. They make real good spraypaint these days, and if you're so inclined, you can keep the can in your saddlebag for touch-ups as necessary. As above, unless you're planning a trailer queen, just spraybomb it. I have a buddy who even used rustoleum brush-on paint on his FLH frame, and it looks great. Nice and glossy. He used a $15 artist brush from a school supply store, and just painted it right up.

If you go low-tech and DIY, you can always do it again if you don't like it. I don't know if that's a ringing endorsement exactly, but if it looks good you'll be real proud of it, more so than if you just had it powdercoated by the shop.

#16 ·
Interesting people brought up the touch up... if you're going with a power coat you don't see in a paint color, how does one touch it up?

Also since going with an abnormal color, how well does the powder coat the clear powder coat hold up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.