Jockey Journal Forum banner

Brown's Plating

9K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  JoeD 
#1 ·
Web site says closed effective 12-31-14. Didn't see that coming. Sorry if this was discussed. I missed it. Now, who do I use?

Bob

#4 ·
A little googling found me several other internet motorcycle forums whose members are in shock over the news. Two recommended alternatives, among others, are Graves Plating in Florence, AL and Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN. Not an endorsement, and have never used them. Just what I'm picking up on other forums. Damn shame about Brown's

Bob

#7 ·
We're loosing craftsmen/businesses that can provide quality work to our hobby, or business as the case may be, at an alarming rate. Brown's was unique in that they only did bike parts. Buchanan's provides another specialized service we rely on heavily. I hope they never go away.

Bob

#20 ·
This is happening because the younger/newer generation of people that are interested in these types of bikes do not understand the amount of money or work it takes to produce a quality part or a quality service. They base their pricing for parts or services off of cheaply made parts that are made in taiwan or china etc.

They dont understand that it takes hours upon hours to repair,restore, or create something that will last them decades when they can buy a similar item for less than $100 that will probably not even last a few months.

It is really unfortunate to see Browns close its doors.
The only thing I can say is that I hope the people that understand what a quality part or service is preach and explain why they cost more than inferior items and hopefully the newcomers will catch on and start to use high quality parts and shops to get the work they need done

#9 · (Edited)
I can personally recommend Wrights Custom Chrome in Grafton Ohio. I've had them do pot repair and plate, chrome and nickle plate steel and brass and straighten and polish alluminum and stainless.

#12 ·
Might as well throw my two cents in. Brown's could not follow directions well but I would use them again and am very sorry if they close. Advanced was good once . The second time they moved while keeping my parts until the move was over. Project was lagging and I did not care . The second time I used Advanced they charged me a fortune for the little stuff . Spacers 10 bucks stuff like that. They also lost one very rare screw. Advanced is an expensive plater. The reason I have a chrome rotor on my Sportster's Italian forks is because Brown was supposed to POLISH it NOT plate it. Other than that one screw-up I liked Browns and there was never a problem in quality with Advanced or Browns. Graves sent me a price list and they are suppoesed to be responsible but I have never used them. New Jersey had alot of platers and at one time all chrome was done locally. Not anymore and the soil is contaminated and they can't sell their buildings.

#13 ·
i HAVE TO GET MY **** PIPES & mufflers PLATED SOON and I,am gonna use graves or pauls. I,ve had pauls do work for me and the work is real nice but like all shops it takes a while for your turn to come up which I understand. I intended to use browns but guess thats out of the question now.

#14 ·
I,ve had pauls do work for me and the work is real nice but like all shops it takes a while for your turn to come up which I understand.
What I like about Paul's is that they specialize in cars/bikes. Plus they are very detailed with their process. Good work takes time, I didn't think their turnaround time was excessive.

#18 ·
Wrights Custom Chrome in Grafton Ohio sends a photo of your parts as received by them along with their quote.

#21 ·
Royal Silver, Norfolk, VA

Everything I've had stripped or plated by them has been outstanding. Takes some time to get the parts back(1 month on average) but everything looks amazing and thickly chromed.

They'll probably fuck you though just so you can call me an asshole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.