Cafe Racers? - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-31-2005, 01:17 PM   #21
CRAP

Default Re: cafe bikes

I will post some mock up picks of my heap when I get home.
CRAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 02:16 PM   #22
ol_scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroywes
i was wodnering if we could get a cafe racer post going,,, i know some of you guys own em, or have owned em. lets see pics,
Mines in pieces, but here's a pic of my flat tracker.

By the way anyone interested, I'm making a buck up to do Dresden style cafe tanks, hopefully this winter. I'm sick of seeing 700 for a gas tank. Probably be Stainless instead of alloy, as alloy dents to easy, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sramseybikesm.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	192  

Last edited by ol_scratch; 05-31-2005 at 02:18 PM.
ol_scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:20 PM   #23
ol_scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth
I just sold out and bought an 05 Triumph Thruxton that Im tweaking out. THis cat bought it, put 500 miles on it, and had to get rid of it because he blew the motor in one of his race bikes. So I got the deal of the century... couldnt turn it down.

the othe factor was that it's gonna be my commuter bike - my shop is 50 miles from my apartment, so I dont have anywhere to keep a bike here in Boston. I feel more comfortable leaving an 05 on the street than I do my 67 triumph...

Plus, it's a fun ass bike to ride!
Hey I like the new Thruxton, though dealers price it way too high. For the money though I'd eye up one of the new RE cafe's.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:03 PM   #24
destroywes

i like those thruxtons too..
destroywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:36 PM   #25
CRAP

Quote:
i like those thruxtons too..
There is a shop by my house that makes cafe tail sections for thruxtons.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:24 PM   #26
Conder

I've wanted to build this for years, but I can't find anybody crazy enough to do it. I read back in the early '90s in Classic Bike magazine there was a guy in europe who was repoping Manx singles. Kind of like S&S does with H-D engines. Magnesium parts and all. They did a feature on a brand new repro manx (frame too) and it was beautiful.

I know it'll piss a lot of guys off, but I'd build mine with a 200x17 front and a 240x18 rear. Grimeca drum brakes and all!

(Back when I did this drawing I was a huge fan of "Tank Girl". Sorry Jamie, I know she was a Vespa chic.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	215  
Conder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:38 PM   #27
blackesthart

Send a message via AIM to blackesthart

Quote:
i was wodnering if we could get a cafe racer post going,,, i know some of you guys own em, or have owned em. lets see pics,
Wes you are gay. but your bike kicks ass after we cleaned out the carbs
Old 05-31-2005, 09:16 PM   #28
greggski

Thumbs up Re: cafe bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conder
I've wanted to build this for years, but I can't find anybody crazy enough to do it. I read back in the early '90s in Classic Bike magazine there was a guy in europe who was repoping Manx singles. Kind of like S&S does with H-D engines. Magnesium parts and all. They did a feature on a brand new repro manx (frame too) and it was beautiful.

I know it'll piss a lot of guys off, but I'd build mine with a 200x17 front and a 240x18 rear. Grimeca drum brakes and all!

(Back when I did this drawing I was a huge fan of "Tank Girl". Sorry Jamie, I know she was a Vespa chic.)
have you checked out the new commandos that are bein built here in the us I think they are a 980cc. looks amazingly similar to the one you drew. nice concept drawing Gregg
greggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:17 PM   #29
rev616

Send a message via AIM to rev616

Quote:

thats an awesome picture.i want a shirt with that..hah
rev616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #30
ol_scratch

Quote:

Yeah but when you build something different its usually pretty awesome, so what's it matter.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #31
Conder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_scratch
Yeah but when you build something different its usually pretty awesome, so what's it matter.
Thanks for the comments, I agree. I saw that new cafe bike you're talkin' about and those guys could do a LOT better I think. As far as one off bikes go, if it's sick, build the fucker. When I started out back in Kentucky I was lucky enough to trade my Chevelle straight across for an honest to god black sportster, just like fuckin' BRONSON! Since we were all teenagers at the time and this was the recession early '80s, we were lucky to have bikes at all. I rode with 300 dollar Yamaha RDs and old CB Hondas.

We rode the shit out of our bikes. It was great heading into Louisville at about 10 at night, lookin' in the store windows to watch our spokes flash. Then it was over the Kennedy bridge into Indiana, where we'd stash our helmets in the bushes and scout for strange.

When I got to seattle years later and finally restored the Sportster, all my new friends rode FLs, Triumphs, Guzzis, Hondas etc. and old beemers. I was working for a millionaire collector who had so many vintage motorcycles you wouldn't believe it. So...I convinced him that it would be smart to let each of my friends "adopt" one of the bikes to take care of and ride. After all, they were just goin' to shit sitting there. It was cool as hell, we're all broke with barely enough money for gas bombin' around seattle at three in the morning on BSA Gold Stars, Indian Chiefs, 80" Flatheads and crazy "Jammer" style import choppers! It was insane...like a bunch of special needs kids stumbling onto a motorcycle museum with the door wide open.

I like just about everything. I'm with El Caballo on that "beginner sportster" bullshit. In my experience only the NEW GUYS talk shit about Sportsters. I still have mine, the "Motorcycle Clubs" didn't seem to mind 'em back in the day, and if you wanted a street racer they were hard to beat. I've never met a lifetime biker that talked shit about K models, Sportsters or WLs. The next time somebody does just treat 'em like a retard...pat 'em on the back real nice and hand 'em some "Brand new fringed chap leather salve", a hot dog and some tickets to your towns best suburban "blues" cover band.

Super Motard, Cafe, Rocker, Street Fighter style bikes are the next chopper. There are clubs sprouting up everywhere (any seattle Cretins on here?) and if half the imagination and enginuity (stupidity?) that is applied to chops gets pointed at a vintage Triumph or an '86 GSXR well...the bike worlds in for some serious shit. Burn it to the fuckin' ground I say, see what grows back.

p.s. These bike designs are mine, copying them without giving me credit will tell the world you're sad and pathetic. And no Kustombuilder, YOU are the shit. - Stay in school kids!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Conderbobber1.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	242   Click image for larger version

Name:	V-ROD1.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	243  
Old 06-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #32
Tony Bones
Tiny Member

Me want Stroked Sportster Super Motard bike. Me get in big trouble though.
Tony Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #33
Truth

Send a message via AIM to Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAP
There is a shop by my house that makes cafe tail sections for thruxtons.
you got photos or a link?
Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #34
ol_scratch

Quote:
Thanks for the comments, I agree. I saw that new cafe bike you're talkin' about and those guys could do a LOT better I think. As far as one off bikes go, if it's sick, build the fucker. When I started out back in Kentucky I was lucky enough to trade my Chevelle straight across for an honest to god black sportster, just like fuckin' BRONSON! Since we were all teenagers at the time and this was the recession early '80s, we were lucky to have bikes at all. I rode with 300 dollar Yamaha RDs and old CB Hondas.

We rode the shit out of our bikes. It was great heading into Louisville at about 10 at night, lookin' in the store windows to watch our spokes flash. Then it was over the Kennedy bridge into Indiana, where we'd stash our helmets in the bushes and scout for strange.

When I got to seattle years later and finally restored the Sportster, all my new friends rode FLs, Triumphs, Guzzis, Hondas etc. and old beemers. I was working for a millionaire collector who had so many vintage motorcycles you wouldn't believe it. So...I convinced him that it would be smart to let each of my friends "adopt" one of the bikes to take care of and ride. After all, they were just goin' to shit sitting there. It was cool as hell, we're all broke with barely enough money for gas bombin' around seattle at three in the morning on BSA Gold Stars, Indian Chiefs, 80" Flatheads and crazy "Jammer" style import choppers! It was insane...like a bunch of special needs kids stumbling onto a motorcycle museum with the door wide open.

I like just about everything. I'm with El Caballo on that "beginner sportster" bullshit. In my experience only the NEW GUYS talk shit about Sportsters. I still have mine, the "Motorcycle Clubs" didn't seem to mind 'em back in the day, and if you wanted a street racer they were hard to beat. I've never met a lifetime biker that talked shit about K models, Sportsters or WLs. The next time somebody does just treat 'em like a retard...pat 'em on the back real nice and hand 'em some "Brand new fringed chap leather salve", a hot dog and some tickets to your towns best suburban "blues" cover band.

Super Motard, Cafe, Rocker, Street Fighter style bikes are the next chopper. There are clubs sprouting up everywhere (any seattle Cretins on here?) and if half the imagination and enginuity (stupidity?) that is applied to chops gets pointed at a vintage Triumph or an '86 GSXR well...the bike worlds in for some serious shit. Burn it to the fuckin' ground I say, see what grows back.

p.s. These bike designs are mine, copying them without giving me credit will tell the world you're sad and pathetic. And no Kustombuilder, YOU are the shit. - Stay in school kids!
The way I see the RE cafe is, for 4000 you get a good solid base, then just contour to each need. you don't see too many singles out new today. But I am a Hinckley guy and the twins are really quite nice too, but I'd opt for another T3 just as easy.

I'm jealous, I wish I could find some rich dude to loan me killer bikes to ride. Some guys have all the luck.

Honestly if I was going to own a newer Harley it would be a Sportster probably. the others just don't hold my interest.

Last edited by ol_scratch; 06-01-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #35
Conder

Quote:
I'm jealous, I wish I could find some rich dude to loan me killer bikes to ride. Some guys have all the luck.
That ol' rich guy is long gone man, that was back in '93. I heard he met some french minimalist chick, sold off his whole collection for cheap and went through his money chasin' her all over the globe. I just wish I could've bought his original '41 UL. !!@#$%^&!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:15 PM   #36
Conder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bones
Me want Stroked Sportster Super Motard bike. Me get in big trouble though.
Wouldn't that make the ULTIMATE urban war machine? Yessireebob boy I tell you what....
Old 06-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #37
ol_scratch

Quote:
That ol' rich guy is long gone man, that was back in '93. I heard he met some french minimalist chick, sold off his whole collection for cheap and went through his money chasin' her all over the globe. I just wish I could've bought his original '41 UL. !!@#$%^&!!!
BLOODY FOOL he was. Or maybe he just lived too sheltered a life.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:39 PM   #38
Conder

Quote:
BLOODY FOOL he was. Or maybe he just lived too sheltered a life.
Smart people do stupid things too. I did hear it second hand after all...The man had the ability to make money at will. In addition to bikes he had cars, art, neato stores and was constantly surrounded by unbelievable women. I learned a lot from that guy, he tried to show me how to be a millionaire once...it involved rifling through rack after rack after rack of clothes at vintage and discount stores looking for old tennis shoes, t-shirts and golf sweaters, then filling a shipping crate with the goods, sending 'em overseas making tens of thousands in profit. He had a giant network of hot hipster chicks combing the planet lookin' for old Nikes. The booty was brought to a hidden center complex where everything was de-stinked and de-stained, loaded up and sold. 30 foot high mountains of cowboy boots. Did you know carberator cleaner will take just about any stain out of your old Levis? This dude was amazing. He tried to show me...

But NAW....I had to be a MOTORCYCLE PAINTER!!!!?????????????????
Old 06-01-2005, 02:06 PM   #39
G Griffin
Bulletproof

I want that bike!

G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Conderbobber1.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	246  
G Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #40
CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth
you got photos or a link?
My mistake, its for a bonneville. Call them though I could swear I heard they had one.
http://http://www.caferace.com/cgi-b...gory_Code=RRBT