Jockey Journal Forum banner

DeRake pics????

71K views 165 replies 59 participants last post by  dudley32 
#1 ·
Looking for pics of heavy De's. 12"-14" up 6?-8" out with 30 degree rake. STL style.... All pics will be greatly appreciated, next build on its way and looking for inspiration. THANKS.

#39 ·
Would that all problems were so simple to solve. Just scroll through and look at the photos, ignore the opinions. That said, the entire thread is suspect. The original poster wanted to see "de-raked" bikes with 30º rake. That's about stock rake, ain't it, or is that his opinion of de-raked?

Bob

#46 ·
it's funny to me how "Narrow Minded" some of you are. Every bike in this thread was created by someone to be the opposite of stock, and that's essentially what we're all after. It maynot be your cup O'tea, but "make stock bikes look fucking awesome"? Really? That statement blows my mind. I'm so fucking sick and tired of the same old fucking lane splittin Skinny ass "Me too" machines.....how about originality?

#47 ·
Not everyone here is looking for "the opposite of stock".....I'm looking for a bike that works for me, both in handling, and looks, or a sense of motion when sitting still.....I'm not looking to ride a praying mantis, or a bike that looks like it hit a parked car. So, yes....in that sense, I'm narrow minded.

#52 ·
I am super interested in this thread from a design perspective. Then the photo of the triumph... I actually laughed out loud. Awesome.

#55 ·
De raked bikes just like raked bikes are for the rider. I take mine down to about 27° which is 3° less than late model stock rake and is about the perfect rake to run a stock HD springer of the 45 variety. It changes the snappiness of your turns . The derake bikes are for the almost sport bike feel in a chopper/ bobber ,what ever you call a not stock custom built motorcycle. Some of you more opinionated guys should atleast think about the concept before discarding it as pointless. No one likes everything but those smashed front end will run you thru the ringer in the turns on your 8" + trail supersloppy choppers. Pretty yes but if you ride in an urban environment where there is an ignorant, uninsured driver in every direction you might learn to appreciate that look a bit more. Style and function rarely meet happily in the middle. IMO

#57 ·
I agree...pull a couple degrees outta the stock frame and it works just fine, (and looks great)especially in an enviroment that requires quick turns...like a dirt bike....but what have been shown, are mostly unridable on the xway. I wouldn't want to ride from Cal to NY on a speedway bike. I first saw so-called derake things on a japanese website, and thought....what is the deal? Usually the japanese culture has good taste in art, and motorcycle styling. Unfortunately, Americans are great at jumping on the bandwagon. I can't wait to see the de-rake tv show. You, on the other hand actually de-raked a bike. The bikes in this thread aren't de-raked...they are customs...not choppers, not bobbers, not de-raked....just custom builds, and when anyone builds a custom, they leave themselves open to criticism, especially on the internet.

#60 ·
I apologize....your bike has nothing that looks factory, but I couldn't blow the picture up. Yes, you definitely built a chopper in the TRUE sense of the word.

I'm just tired of the terms....and their misuse....especially the terms "bobber" and "chopper" and now the term "derake" Maybe I'm too hung up on semantics...or the misuse of the English language. I gotta get out in the shop and cut something up.

#61 ·
Keep the pics coming, the bikes rule and the opinions don,t matter. The Japenese mimic americans. The St.Louis de-rake was huge in the 70's when the long bike was hot. I think most people in general think of the long bike synonymous with the term chopper. And the derake wasnt only a St.louis thing I'm sure. What do I know? It doesnt even matter....

#83 ·
If the softail springer frame has the same rake as the standard softail frame, which is 33 degrees, and the springer ends up at 30 degrees of rake, that's negative 3 degrees, not plus 2. Negative rake in the trees decreases the visual rake, but actually increases the trail, which is the opposite of what positive raked trees do.

#85 ·
I know what you are saying J F, but Softail Custom glide front ends are visually kicked out "slightly" more (2° in the stem if I recall correctly) against the other Heritage & Fatboy glide front ends..
I think Harley concentrated more on looks then perfect trail for the Softail Custom... :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.