Jockey Journal Forum banner

B&H shifter

30K views 59 replies 21 participants last post by  flatman 
#1 ·
I've got an old B&H shifter and mousetrap (missing its spring) that I've had for years and a collector is pestering me to sell it. I had not really thought about selling it till now and I have no idea what it is worth. Anybody out there have any idea as to its value? KP

#2 ·
last one I had, I sold to a friend for 250. But, it was really two complete shifter setups and one full mousetrap plus a mousetrap frame. To a friend. That was last October.

At the Tenino swap meet last year a vendor had a nice shifter and mouse for 300.00, I think he sold it. Hope that helps.

#4 · (Edited)
Re: B&H shifter

Wow. I bought one at a swap meet for $20 about 10 years ago just as a curiosity. It was missing the spring but was otherwise complete. I bought a project bike a couple of months ago and another one came with it but it needs some serious work. I kinda figure that a mousetrap is the item that's worth more. Those shifters don't really seem to be in big demand, I always thought they were kind of clunky.
________
FERRARI 375 F1

#5 ·
Ya, they are kinda big, but you have to remember that not many were made, and it was the first aftermarket ratchet shifter for H-D's Before Harley made there ratchet in 52! And try using one, push down with you foot, clutch disengages and it puts the jokey lid into gear, rise your foot and the clutch engages, to down shift you pull in a small lever on the handelbars and repete with your foot, Cool stuff from long ago............Roach.

#7 · (Edited)

Ya, they are kinda big, but you have to remember that not many were made, and it was the first aftermarket ratchet shifter for H-D's Before Harley made there ratchet in 52! And try using one, push down with you foot, clutch disengages and it puts the jokey lid into gear, rise your foot and the clutch engages, to down shift you pull in a small lever on the handelbars and repete with your foot, Cool stuff from long ago............Roach.
Well then, maybe mine isn't complete, or else it's a different type. There's no connection for the clutch on mine, it's just a ratchet. I'll have to dig all that stuff out and give it a closer look. WLA21; there's not much to the basic mechanism on the one I have. Other than the stamped steel cover it looks pretty simple.
________
Avandia Problems

#6 ·
I have been looking for one...or information, photos..drawings.

Working on something similar for my 45 stroker project...

Three speed trannie, converted into 4 speed..

Got and info on these shifters?

George

PS.. Eric, at Beauty of Speed, in France has some information about them.

#11 ·
The Thoro company made the speedy shift which was clutch and shifter mechanism all in one motion, and it is a long ungainly thing but period cool. The B&H is a triangular rig that bolts to a stock foot clutch tower and has a small mousetrap that harley obviously copied. Thanks for the pricing info guys, it is appreciated. KP

#17 ·
the thoro company did not make the speed-e-shift. they made their own ratchet that mounted to the forward foot control area with a rod going back to the jockey lid. Harley put a very,very similar ratchet assembly on TOP of the jockey lid and made the ratchet lid just like that from 52-77 and put all of these footshift companies out of business.

#20 · (Edited)

Nice article Danny. I don't remember seeing that one before, what issue was it in? I saw one of the Thoro shifters at a swap meet a few years back. It had a very smooth, easy action compared to the B&H shifter. I like to pick up curiosities like this but the guy wanted something like $500 for it so I passed.
________
Drug Test

#21 ·
Later on i guess they did come with a pedal made specifically for the shifter. I almost bought one that had a pedal like this. That lee or bates pedal was sold seperately as well to replace the rocker clutch. Heres what the speed E shift pedals looked like i guess.

#24 ·
Theres a guy in Louisiana who bought out all the B&H inventory about 25 years ago.
He got 350 pounds of new shifters and parts including new chrome covers.
He got literature, blueprints and hand drawings done by Hagars hand.
Hagar was the H in B&H.
The guy in Louisiana says that no one has approached him for parts in the last 20 years.
Unfortunately Chris Haynes in California has been bad-mouthing him on internet forums and has pissed him off.

#31 ·
There isnt that big of a demand for these. They dont really look right on any bike except a bobber. A real bobber. Besides most people are running ratchet lid transmissions these days and these only work with a tank shift lid. Theres enough of them floating around that they dont really need to be repoped.

#38 ·
My Speedy Shift and Mousetrap I've built from photos. The originals appear to be only bolted down at the kickstand area yet any play in the mounting bolts will interfer with the shifter rod adjustment. Tie it to the front of the frame as well, so the backing plate is totally rigid to the bike frame. Also use a mousetrap as a mousetrap eliminator simply does not give enough release on the clutch and the Speedy shift will not engage. Took this combo for a test ride and it engaged every gear seemlessly. It's as good as a ratchet top. Time to tidy it up and make covers, then some chrome plate. These shifters are large and quirky yet that's part of the appeal. Most importantly, they do actually work seemlessly if set up correctly. Pic attached.

Attachments

#39 ·
Cover finished yet painted silver. I'll have it chromed soonest. Took for another test ride. The shifter works well yet I've noticed the brass bush on the selector shaft on my gearbox lid is a bit worn. I suspect the Speedy Shift will perform even better once I replace the gearbox lid bush. Still have to dude up my home made mousetrap. The trap works perfectly and will clean up nicely. Still have to work out a better way to mount a gearshift lever on the shifter. That's the next hurdle. Yet the Speedy Shift lives and is essentially operational.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.