Jockey Journal Forum banner

shovel stator washers

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Shacknasty 
#1 ·
can someone tell me where thees go? im trying to put a new rotor and stator on a shovel thats been apart for 15 years for my friend, its all new stuff and im not sure witch washer/spacers go where. i think the large fat one has to go under the rotor to keep it from hitting the windings and support the rotor..leaving the small one to go on the outside? he brought me a new bdl skinny belt that were gonna run with no primary, but the clutch hub is missing so i have no idea what theese spacers are gonna do as far as using the belt for alighnment reference. thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
The rotor goes on the shaft, against the stator, then the washers are used to space the sprocket out to align with the clutch drum. In other words, to align the front and rear sprockets, and keep the belt running true.

#3 ·
all i can suggest is try different variations until it works...several very important things to consider during this process however...ensuring the stator rotor is not going to come in contact with the stator wires while rotating also ensuring that once the compensator nut is torqued down that the stator rotor does not get pressed up against the engine case. BDL belt drive's are very user friendly if you install it correctly, like Shovithead stated above ^^^ make sure your belt is going to track true...run a straight edge from the outside flange of the clutch basket pulley to the front pulley and measure the difference at the front pulley...you can get shims and shim kits to properly space them so they will track straight and true

#4 ·
There are two things you're trying to accomplish: Locating the rotor over the stator correctly and aligning the front sprocket with the rear (clutch shell) for true running primary chain or belt.

Another thing. . . the late model rotors like that one have a very narrow area where they engage the sprocket shaft splines and can get worn out quickly where the sprocket nut is not tight enough (it happens). The fit can be sloppy too giving an out of balance condition where to rotor center is not concentric with the sprocket shaft. This happens once the teeth are chewed up. The washer(s) help distribute the clamping force on the rotor for positive location.

The rotor should be spaced so that the magnets are pretty much centered over the poles of the stator. This gives maximum output. Too close inward and the rotor edge could rub on the stator plug wires or otherwise make contact with some non-rotating part. Too far out and you lose output.

Once the rotor is located correctly, THEN you get the right washer(s) to align the front sprocket with the rear.

In most cases, that smaller washer in the pic is INSIDE the rotor and the large one is OUTSIDE, between the rotor and sprocket.

Jason

#5 ·
thanks, it looks like ill need at least one to keep the rotor out of the windings..looks like ill have to wait for a clutch to continue as i have no way of alighning the belt without it..just wanted to make sure there s no hard fast rule of where they go..

#6 ·
Off the top of my head, I don't think there is a washer that goes under the rotor. Of course if it hits, it's gonna need something. The small washer goes under the compensating sprocket to align the primary chain. They come in different thicknesses and there's a diagram and parts numbers in the service manual to tell you how to set them up. I'm pretty sure the large flat washer came with the belt drive setup.
This is from memory and CRS, so take it for what it's worth.
Larry T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.