Jockey Journal Forum banner

exhaust pipe wall thickness

26K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Just Passin' Thru... 
#1 ·
so i came to the conclusion that i am going to have to build my own pipes. the style i want doesn't seem to be available or just not long enough for my hardtail stretch. i am going to use stainless steel. but here is the question. i have a choice of .035 or .065 wall thickness. i like the idea of thinner lighter material, but would that cause a problem for bending? or is the thicker stuff better. thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I'm no expert, but I would say it depends on the way the tubing is being bent. If mandrel bending, wall thickness shouldn't make a difference. A tubing bender or especialy a pipe bender (which I would not suggest) the thicker the better. It will hold its shape better w/ thicker wall.
Hope that helps a little.

#5 ·
thanks for the info. i am gonna try out the thinner stuff, it looks like the pipes i have on there now are real thin and very light. i am going to mandrel bend them and i'm hoping i can get away with just bending the pipes in one shot with no cutting/welding.

#10 ·
wrinkling can occur if the wall thickness is too thin. or the pipe can distort.
Especially If Your Radius is too tight. (anything under .040 you will need a miracle).
If You have access to a mandrel bender, then go for it.
I just ordered a set of pre bent sections earlier today from Four Aces cycle
(Biltwell kit), for some drag pipes I'm going to fab up.
finding prefab mandrel bends in Stainless may not be as easy.
take your time, seamless stainless tubing isnt cheap.

#12 ·
Bending typical mild steel exhaust tubing on a cheapo hydraulic bender is impossible - I had a lot of goes at that - cold - heated - just ripples! As you say a mandrel bender is what the pros use.. Use the thin stuff - or consult a muffler shop - I bet you don't have the bender? I'm guessing you are getting a contact or friend to lend the machine? Just if you are, the operator will know the best thickness tube to use ..

#13 ·
this is all great info guys. I didn't know the thinner the pipe wall the meaner the sound. That's kinda what I'm going for with straight through shakers. I personally don't own a mandrel bender $$$$ but a buddy I used to work with has built countless stainless headers for hotrods. He's Gonna give me a hand with these pipes. I will try the thinner stuff first. If that doesn't bend cleanly I will have to start over with either the thicker wall or use a biltwell kit. if these come out like what my vision, they will give this bike so much character. I will def post pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.