Jockey Journal Forum banner

so i'm well on my way to either completely ruining my bike or,

16K views 132 replies 60 participants last post by  Rotten Egg 
#1 ·
hopefully i'll be able to make it look good enough to post on the OIF Thread. This was by far the nicest stock all original bike I've ever hacked apart. Feels kinda weird, but I promised myself I will give it the respect she deserves. I hope she likes her new front end, I spent way to much money on it, but I felt compelled to get it.

here she is before,

and right now

yhea i know, i need a proper stand, but for now some wood, a car jack and some bolts drilled into the concrete with straps will have to work.

See less See more
#2 ·
Stands are mighty nice, when I finally got off the floor and got one I couldn't believe how I ever got along without it. Anyhow, as far as your home made set up goes, there's no need for excuses...necessity is indeed the mother of invention.
I was going to add my two cents about trying to find a rattier bike to mess with, but I won't 'cause you 'get it' and it's your bike to do with as you like. Glad it had oil in it too :D Nice front end, what's it off of?

#8 ·
Hey man I've got a similar girder I'm using on my 66 triumph. I adapted tapered bearings. Should have pics in a few days.
i'd love to see it! i'll probably be bothering you when i get to that step.

as far as what i'm doing with my bike, yhea i knew i'd get crap but it's mine and i will enjoy it more than the dude that keeps their bike stock and on a shelf in their garage.
if i could have found a better donor that i didn't feel bad about cutting up, i would, but we don't have swap meets and abundant motorcycle parts here. it would be simple if i was in cali or almost anywhere else, but this was the only triumph within 500 miles of me that was for sale. believe me, i've been looking for 10yrs. it's never fun watching posts from people showing yards with bikes, or swap meets with bikes or seeing adds for bikes selling for cheap 1000's of miles away...bla bla bla
plus i love having something to work on, it keeps me semi sane, and the OIF is an extra challenge. i agree, it's either gonna look good, or it's gonna look like crap. there's really no in-betweens with the OIF's

#10 ·
ok boys we still got time to stop him!! I didnt see any metal grits on the floor yet.
Thats a sweet lookin trump ya got there oil in the frame . its probably tight too.

Does Buds bike shack , austin , still exist ??
Ive seen pics of it and it looks like a real shop

Ive seen a chopped oif and it looked a bit rude , theres no hiding that fatty ......and it was pink too!!

(Any jedis out there? make him put it back together)

#13 ·
I would almost be willing to bet that there are plenty of people out there that would be willing to trade you a much more suitable donor, plus some cash, for that nice original bike... and come to you to do it. Everybody wins.

In the end, it's yours. Do whatever.

#15 ·
but this was the only triumph within 500 miles of me that was for sale. believe me, i've been looking for 10yrs.
In a city of a half million with a big history of motorcycle sport? You must be the poorest looker ever! I live in a town of ten thousand far removed from anyplace with no history of motorcycling (we don't have any dealer of any brand here!) and I have bought several Triumphs over the last couple years. And within 500 miles there is a huge area that has a huge number of Triumphs. Alamogordo, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Carlsbad, Midland, Tucson, etc. So you must be either really slow on the uptake, or really lazy. The Triumph Daytona was even named for a race win By Buddy Elmore, a native of El Paso racing out of a dealership there. Hell, even Sherman Barnett has Triumphs for sale!:rolleyes:
Robbie

#21 ·
In my 40+years around "custom bikes" and every other kind, I've never seen a stock bke acturrally improved by a backyard mechanic. Damn, the Triumph 650 is one of the sweetest handling, highly developed, roadworthy motorcycles ever built.

This won't be the first one ruined because someone was bored. Shame, tho. It could live in your garage and serve a good purpose: gettin' down the road like it's supposed to!

Routine maintenance and upkeep of a stock bike is nothing to be ashamed of. Remember, tho, that in the end the hack job will be nearly worthless, compared to what the preserved stocker would have been worth, decades hence. They all are, basically. Damned backyard geniuses.

Here's a source of tools for ya:
http://www.rockymountainsmiths.org/

#23 ·
In my 40+years around "custom bikes" and every other kind, I've never seen a stock bke acturrally improved by a backyard mechanic. Damn, the Triumph 650 is one of the sweetest handling, highly developed, roadworthy motorcycles ever built.

This won't be the first one ruined because someone was bored. Shame, tho. It could live in your garage and serve a good purpose: gettin' down the road like it's supposed to!

Routine maintenance and upkeep of a stock bike is nothing to be ashamed of. Remember, tho, that in the end the hack job will be nearly worthless, compared to what the preserved stocker would have been worth, decades hence. They all are, basically. Damned backyard geniuses.

Here's a source of tools for ya:
http://www.rockymountainsmiths.org/
Awsome link! i'm like a moth to a flame when i see blacksmith stuff. those guys rock.

#22 ·
Just passin thru, that's actually a pretty good idea. but i know myself, i'll probably just continue with my build.

Rubone
internet stats just don't add up to facts. we might have half a million people, but a lot is people from mexico. you would think with our great weather we would have more bike events and swap meets, but it's usually the harley dealership runs that have tent sales %20 off leather chaps. alamagordo is a military town, not much there as far as bikes go, old cars are abundant though. albeturkey is 5 to 6hrs away so not close enough for me. there was an old guy inbetween las cruses and here that i heard had a shed full of brit bikes, but no one knows exactly how to get to him. something about finding the singing bush and summoning the invisible swordsman?...anyway, i heard he shoots at anyone that goes near his shed. i don't blame him. my first bike build, i went to a junk yard in las cruses, the guy laughed when i asked or harley or british parts. it's all jap stuff.
anyway, whenever you need a lime green alligator belt and matching boots, i'm your man, cause with the half million people here, apparently that's what sells at our swap meets.(not a joke).

deluxe 72
love the bike, you hit the nail on the head with that pic! can't wait to see yours.

#26 ·
Only you can answer that question. It really doesnt matter what anyone else thinks. But since you asked....there are plenty of these bikes out there, going cheap on todays market - the guys that want to save one can and are. It should be expected on this board, maybe not on the AMCA Club board.

#28 ·
bungle,

Your bike do what you want. Make yourself happy. go ahead and hack it up. Makes mine more valuable. Another consideration is to do stuff that is reversible. There's a guy on this forum who did just that with a 70 TR-6 as I recall. 70 TR-6 is a hellava lot more valuable than an OIF. He did a real nice job and it's all reversible.

Good luck and enjoy YOUR ride.

TD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.