Jockey Journal Forum banner

73 Triumph 750 - Middle Class Chops Build

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  SNOT275 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I kind of lurk around quite a bit but thought I would share my build to try and get some more motivation to get it done.

Started with a mostly complete 1973 Triumph Tiger 750. Started by parting out the bike and giving the motor to Luke at Union Motorcycle Classics to rebuild it for me.

Also hit up my buddy Todd at Small City Cycles to see if he had a frame he could sell me. Picked up the frame, Factory Metal Works hardtail and a 69 Honda CB360 front end to get me up to rolling status. Follow the picture trail from there to see where I'm at now.

See less See more
#5 ·
The tailight is an old microphone with lights installed, I had the same one for a while until I lost the front cover on the freeway somewheres.

#7 ·
So I mocked up some exhaust yesterday. Wanted something a little different. Not sure if I like them or not yet so I thought I would get some opinions.

I'm not a big fan of exhaust with lots of swooping curves and bends. I generally like a little more geometric structure. With that in mind, these pipes come out of the head and are angles in like \ /. Then they run under the frame and come out on each side of the rear tire. In person I really like the boxy look of them and aside from the challenges of exhaust under my bike, I like how low it'll make the bike look and I also like how it matches the lines of the oil tank.

What say you guys?

#10 ·
I agree with crush on the pipes. I think they would look nicer following the frame of the bike, but that's just me and don't forget it's your bike and who gives a fuck what others think. In all awesome looking bike. Is that a FMW tail? Was looking at getting one are they a good thing?

#11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback on the pipes. I'm still waffling on them. The bottom of them actually do follow the frame rails, but it's just the magnets I have holding them in place that throw them off. I know the lines coming off the heads are very non traditional. Been struggling with a design for months now not wanting to do something that we see all the time. I don't know. Not cheap to make but easy so I can whip up another set pretty quick.

As far as the TFMW rear end, it's great. Great quality and a good price. Lucas does some good work.

#12 ·
Triumphs love curvy pipes. If there was ever an engine made for curvy pipes it was the Triumph twin engine. Just throwin' that out there.

Some aftermarket TT pipes have more of a square look to them but they go down and exit underneath the engine and look good IMO. I think since your tank is round, your rear fender is round, the squareness of the pipes really clashes. If you had a coffin tank or similar and flat fender out back, squared off, hard angle pipes would fit better. Just my point of view.

Some people say it's your bike and you build it the way you want and fuck what anybody else thinks. But, I find, that is usually not the case because dudes do care what other dudes think of their bikes or they wouldn't post pics asking what other dudes think about it. :D :cool:

But, regardless, the bike has good lines and is coming along nicely.

#13 ·
Been a long time since I've posted cause I've been busy on other projects. Finally got around to working on the Triumph again though. I raised the tank up a bit. Redid the pipes. Built a new sissy bar and brought it up higher on the fender. I just tore the bike down and did almost all the finish welds. I'm going to but out the angle grinder to detab the frame then reassemble and ride it this summer then break it down again in the winter for paint and powdercoat.

#16 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I got all the finish welding done on my frame spent a good portion of Friday sanding all the welds off the pipes. They turned out pretty good and I think I'll feel ok getting them chromed. They're not perfect, but neither am I. My buddy is going to sand blast some junk for me this week so I can get my new rim welded on the rear brake backing plate. I think after that I'll pretty much be ready to get this thing reassembled and do some riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.